Giveing Up Mding

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Hello Every one I am seirouls thinking about Mding. Yes I belong to the club in wareham mass But I am slowly looseing Interest. I Can't Find any good places here in mass nor can i travel at this point in time I soume day would like to hook up with a forum member but well i guess that may never happen either. I do have a car and I am willing to either get on a plane or travel by car. any who My Old stomping Grounds the drive-In someone beat me to it a long time ago and found much silver n wheats Yes I found a few buffalos and a few mercs and a few other dimes but all in all i seem to be looseing interest day by day I still have my xmass goft metal detector Ill not part with that, Butt Thanks all for listeing hope all is well and good by for now
from Garrettman64 :'(

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang it up for while and find another hobby but its like the song Hotel California you can check in anytime but you can never leave.Good Luck AA.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hello Garrettman,
You're welcome to come on down to NYC for a weekend of hunting. Not sure how much you are or are not finding, but the forecast would be that if we hit the parks hard, we'd find about 3 or 4 silver coins each, lots of wheats and definately alot of clad throughout that weekend. Maybe less, probably more. My invitation stands open. Now let me E-Mail Mike and see if that Canarsie park thing is going to happen. :)

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Do a bit of research or ask around for sites I'm sure you have some
parks and tot lots in your locale.
Just a few ideas.

HH Dave.

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I feel the same way sometimes.  This area has been pounded to death since people started swinging detectors.  Like my hunting partner tells me everytime I bitch about it...."We are about 35 years to late getting involved in this hobby" (for older coins that is).  However, I am going to start trying to invest some time into finding replenished sites (Beaches, river front, etc), and try my hand at jewelry hunting.

I'm sure some people will tell you that no place is ever hunted out....But driving 30 miles to a old park and walking away with 1 wheat after 6 hours of swinging = Hunted out to me (old coins) LOL.  Some people live in areas that have a lot of finds left in the ground, other live in areas that God himself detected...It depends on you, your location ,time invested, and equipment if you will find good stuff most trips out....IMHO

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I remember in the mid to late 1970s, when I got into this, you could still take a detector fresh off the shelf, and take it a park, and have a chance at silver. We even trained newbies in the downtown park. Nowadays, only the experts at deep-turf-sounds can milk any more silver out of these parks. All the obvious old-town front yards have already had their doors knocked on. All the country picnic sites (where picnics ceased in the 1920s) have already been researched out and every last signal is gone. All the stage stops have have been pounded to snot, etc... etc..

The factor in the unfriendly climate, where parks, historical sites, etc... used to never care about detecting (or... at least it never occured to us you needed to "ask", since.... no one ever bothered us :))

It's come down to the point where, at least in my area, if you don't have someone pointing out a good place to go, and showing you the "ropes", that newbies litteraly don't stand a chance. Sure, they can find clad, but their odds at oldies are slim, since we veterans have strip-mined everything for 30 yrs.

A guy posted on our local CA forum that "there were no old coins left to find in such & such city". He was being serious! Because, to him, no matter where he went, he could only find recent losses. So... barring knocking on doors to hit front yards, he just assumed that the many years of detector traffic in the parks and schools there, had stripped things. But I know that I can still go to their oldtown park and get oldies, but you have to know what you're listening for, how to pass surface clad and junk, etc....

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
well we are definitely newbies....just started in Mid April and have a gold detector we got for tailings and such when we are prospecting which makes it even more difficult to compete. For those of you that don't understand what I mean.....I read people talking about different tones and where things come up on their meters...rings up as such and such.......we don't have that...we have one tone...sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, sometimes broken or not but never higher or lower and no readout to see "where it rings up" lol We still have not found any old coins....or silver or gold jewelry...just clad and some costume jewelry and an old horse shoe and LOTS and LOTS of foil! lol Since we had no one teach us what we were doing.....just read here and thought hmmmm we could go try that too instead of just looking for gold in tailings and such.....we have had a looooong time learning things. A couple of great folks Theron and Cliff came over to MD with us and we saw their detectors and learned a lot from watching them.....also learned the reason we have a foil detector is that foil and gold are close on their little readouts on their machines...must be pretty sensitive to foil to be sensitive to gold?? Anyway....I don't mean to sound discouraging to anyone...we are learning...just a lot slower than some and we still believe we will find some cool stuff out MDing too! I have to admit I am awfully glad we have our other treasure hunting pursuits such as sunstones, gold, abandoned storage units etc or I might have lost interest too after digging up 3 coins totalling 12 cents, 37 pieces of foil and 14 pulltabs one day! (not joking...that is my totals for a hunt! lol)

Hang in there...maybe take a break and hunt other treasure for a bit but don't give up on the MDing.....it is out there, so we have not found any old coins yet.....we will! ;)

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Give ya $50 for your Ace 250?

I started in the spring when the snow melted...went a few times...then didn't go again for about 2 months.

I've really enjoyed myself the last couple of months now, having found a couple of rings, and some clad. Take a break...maybe you'll feel like picking it up again in a month.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
garrettman64,

if your not enjoying it, get out.

Good days and lots of bad days.

Give it time; take some time off; perhaps
you will get back into it.

Hope it all works out for you.

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrettman,

I won't tell you that you should give up, but I won't tell you that you should persevere either. Only you can make that choice. But this fact stands out to me: You live up north. I'm sure there are many other detectorists on this site that would be more than happy to trade places with you and have a chance to hunt in a state where there is 300 years of history. Now I don't know anything about you or your research methods. You do research, don't you? Because if you don't, then I agree with you that there is nothing to be found. Luck is not on one's side without lots of research and legwork. Start with old maps, Beers Maps, survey information, books on local history, etc. Every time I delve into the books, I end up with more sites than I could hunt in a lifetime. --Take thoughtful notes!-- Few of these sites have anything left in the way of a structure. Most just have clues in the landscape and flora that remain. This is the work that faces the modern detectorist. This is the way I operate, and have done so since I started the hobby. (There was so much competition where I grew up in Virginia (because of the Civil War history there) that I had to! Now I won't say that I'm the best of the best (many of my finds pale in comparison to finds on this website), but I do have a post on the banner right now, and I do consistently find nice old coins. In the past year, my hunting buddy and I have found many old silver coins, including Spanish Silver and Barber coins, loads of Civil War relics including a sword belt plate, and more. The key is research. I don't buy it when someone says that there isn't any place to hunt in their area. If I had the time off from work, I'd travel to where they were, spend three hard days hitting the books, and then dig the silver coins out to prove it.

So in the end I can't tell you what to do...but if someone has back-stabbed you in the club there by hunting your spot behind your back (and it has happened to all of us!), disassociate yourself with the club. Find a good hunting buddy, if possible--especially if he/she is willing to help with the research and legwork side of things as well. If not, go it alone. Now I'll be honest, it is frustrating. I have spent hours and hours researching a spot and tracking down the property owner only to be told "no."

Good luck, no matter what your choice turns out to be.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where you are coming from. I am in my 3rd year and have exhausted all my local haunts. I just have to be alert to renovations and construction and demolition, etc going on around here and hunt those as opportunities arise. My biggest problem right now is other detectorists. There are 3 large clubs within 40 miles of here and when a new site comes open you find 15 or 20 people out swinging detectors before daylight! I haven't had a really good find worth osting in several weeks, but I am not quiting. I will go to the club hunts in nothing else even though it's much like a big easter egg hunt. But it's something to hold my interest and I enjoy the company and discussion with other detectorists. Monty

OP
OP
garrettman64

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will defiantly take into consideration the thoughts from everyone I will do searching and maybe some time off the ace 250 is the best Mder i ever owned found much silver but so affaid to ask about our parks here in town . There is this one guy from the next town over Milbury mass he got a 1200.00 machine i am always afraid he will get there before i do he has done it with the old driven i use to work at. However the Buildings are now demolished and there going to be making way for elderyhousing however i hope to get back there before they build I do Not think its hunted out as of this day and age However I do hope that all is well with everyone and Thank You All and God Bless Every One here in Treasurenet
PS I going to the beach with the club down in Wareham Mass I am trying so much not to quit this hobby so i got to stay aleart and like everyone says try and research new places.
Thanks so much again from Gman64

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just a thought, but new england would be the only place I'd rather be for MDing than Richmond! You could never dig up all the history there! Especially in Mass. If you're gonna give something up, give up your researching techniques and pick up some new ones!

morbiusandneo

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
garrettman64 said:
??? Hello Every one I am seirouls thinking about Mding. Yes I belong to the club in wareham mass But I am slowly looseing Interest. I Can't Find any good places here in mass nor can i travel at this point in time I soume day would like to hook up with a forum member but well i guess that may never happen either. I do have a car and I am willing to either get on a plane or travel by car. any who My Old stomping Grounds the drive-In someone beat me to it a long time ago and found much silver n wheats Yes I found a few buffalos and a few mercs and a few other dimes but all in all i seem to be looseing interest day by day I still have my xmass goft metal detector Ill not part with that, Butt Thanks all for listeing hope all is well and good by for now
from Garrettman64 :'(
Dude: I know exactly how you feel. I'm 46 & have just re-entered the game. I metal-detected & treasure-hunted 1989-1999 on/off, yet consistently. Found my share of the occassional pre-64 silver coins, and the very occassional pre-1900 coin, etc...But, my main interest was always a nice cache. I did virtually nothing for the last 7+ years because I just gave up. OR, so I thought. In hindsight & retrospect, what I did wrong was mainly impatience and too high expectations. I've learned dowsing and some other techniques to add to my MD-ing, so eventually I know my second cache will eventually appear in a future hole I did at some yet unknown location. It will NEVER happen if I give up now is my point.The previous cache I did find years ago was $140 silver Morgan dollars and 2 gold coins in a mason jar.I only found that one because of perseverence( 6-7 visits to the area until I actually located it).And, I only found it because I used other techniques beside MD-ing. Join a Dowsing Society Chapter & learn. It is never 100%, which is why folks dismiss it. But, it is way HIGHER than random chance, also.Do whatever it takes YOU to increase your odds! HH steven.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
garrettman64 said:
I will defiantly take into consideration the thoughts from everyone I will do searching and maybe some time off the ace 250 is the best Mder i ever owned found much silver but so affaid to ask about our parks here in town . There is this one guy from the next town over Milbury mass he got a 1200.00 machine i am always afraid he will get there before i do he has done it with the old driven i use to work at. However the Buildings are now demolished and there going to be making way for elderyhousing however i hope to get back there before they build I do Not think its hunted out as of this day and age However I do hope that all is well with everyone and Thank You All and God Bless Every One here in Treasurenet
PS I going to the beach with the club down in Wareham Mass I am trying so much not to quit this hobby so i got to stay aleart and like everyone says try and research new places.
Thanks so much again from Gman64

Massachusetts is one of the oldest areas of population in the whole USA. There are lots of towns and cities that started in the late 1600's and all the way into the late 1800's. Lots of history ........ you should do some history research of a few of the towns near you and even some a bit farther away. You might be suprised at what you will learn, and of all the detecting spots that are around you that even though you might NOT be the first to hunt it....you could be one of the hunters to get some very nice items from the spots.

Give it a little more time.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd bet the farm there are plenty of good places to hunt around you.

I've heard alot of MDers around my town say there isn't any good place to hunt, yet I keep finding the good coins. How can that be?

I'll tell you. They keep going back to the same old spot instead of doing the research and finding the new unsearched spots.

This hobby is about more than just swinging a coil at the most conveniant spot, like the local park. Do some research and you'll be back in business.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=morbiusandneo It will NEVER happen if I give up now is my point.The previous cache I did find years ago was $140 silver Morgan dollars and 2 gold coins in a mason jar.I only found that one because of perseverence( 6-7 visits to the area until I actually located it).And, I only found it because I used other techniques beside MD-ing. Join a Dowsing Society Chapter & learn. It is never 100%, which is why folks dismiss it. But, it is way HIGHER than random chance, also.Do whatever it takes YOU to increase your odds! HH steven.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI Morb: Any "true professional" uses what ever tool is available regardless what others may say. This includes dowsing and it's many variations & aspects, fires, sounds, Sooth sayers, Psychics, physical documentary research, etc.

While "none" are fool proof, including detectors, they do add another tool to your grab bag. This is particularly true of cache hunting.

I personally have found that they have helped keep beans in the pot over the years, regardless what scoffers might say or attempt to prove.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I think I may be one of the fortunate few who can get away with doing absolutely zero research and still come out with some silver etc. And that is only because of the amount of parks and their size that we have here in NYC. The parks are huge and many have been around for a loooonng time. The most recent ones were built in the mid 40's, but most are from the early 20's and some pre 1900. Most of the places/parks I hunt have been getting hit for the last 20+ years and they still produce. There is just too many of them and too much ground to cover. Granted, if I got off my lazy butt and did some research, I might get better results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread