Glacial gold in hard pack cobble bar help please.

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
Keene a52 with high/low flow gold hog mats.
11in. fry basket
5 gallon soy sauce buckets
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In S.w. Ohio and found a new place.
Research some surficial maps and picked a spot.
Drove around and saw a land owner out burning trash and asked for permission.
"Gold in that creek?"
"Yes sir"
"Pull around and park by the fuel tank"
"YES"!

We walked to the nearest turn in the creek and found 2 foot round rocks scattered here and there on top of the gravel bar. Front end of the bar is cobble, back end is sand.
Went to stick a shovel in to sample pan and the stuff is packed hard.
At least 4 to 5 minutes to fill up a classifier to do one sample pan.
1st sample pan gives us 3 of the biggest flakes I've ever seen without shelling out money for paydirt.
I was using a #12 classifier. I could have never conceived that I would find anything bigger where I'm at.
Well we do a little dance and do 2 more pans. We're just there to check it out and it's getting dark.
Point is this.... Last Wednesday we spent about 5 hours in other parts of the creek sampling and investigating and ended up back at the down stream place wher we first sampled.
The very top (6inches) is HARD packed. Below that is kinda soft clay and seemingly decomposing shale type bedrock...even though the map says the native bedrock is several hundreds of feet below us.
The stuff we're dealing with is, I think, a very unmolested layer of glacial deposit. I'm not sure what accounts for this cobble bar being so hard packed but it is. At one point we were digging and I saw about 5 or six flattish stones horizontally packed in with one flat semi triangular stone vertically wedged in perfectly between. It looked like a stone mason with a sense of humor layed a wall on the side of this river bank.
Where I need help is this... we will keep excavating this layer no doubt but I fear when we leave it, come spring the flood waters will bring stones down the creek and break up a previously impenetrable hardpack, thus throwing all our big gold into places unknown. I know where it is now. If we had found this place at the beginning of summer we could have got "all" of the big stuff on the surface.
How do we protect this bar?
Should we jam our holes with holders?
Is there anything we can do to ward off the erosion that springtime floods will bring.

Also, any ideas of what's happening in this creek is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Laz7777

Dec 19, 2015
South Fork Yuba River, Motherlode
Detector(s) used
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the "hard pack" on the S. Yuba is too hard for a little flood water to break up.
it is easier to pull rock than shovel sand, so what's been suggested will definitely help.

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning to go bigger than 1/4 because one of the flakes was a picker bigger than 1/4 long. I'm lucky we had only one screen that day and I was hand classifying as I fed the sluice. We would have missed it. I don't know how big the stuff is so I'm going big:)

OP
OP
K

Keeneongold

Aug 11, 2017
S.W Ohio
Detector(s) used
11in. fry basket
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Always go big in a new area when unsure of size.
For sure.
I'm pretty sure it was you sir that went to Alaska and panned average 5oz an hour.
I cannot get that out of my head. I just did a search, couldn't find the thread u mentioned it but found the Alaska critter thread and see that you are going next summer.
Man oh man, I'm eager to see the results of your trip. The idea is kinda turning into a dream/ goal of mine.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'm excited about going up there...And I'm hoping that what my friend's brother said about the 5 oz per hour is true! We'll kill it with the GGT Explorer's! If the whole valley is that rich, I'll just buy the land rather than claim it!

Though, I may wait a year, and just do a quick boots on the ground trip this summer. Then I can get a better idea of what I'm up against. We'll do a video run on the valley, stop and sample a few spots, and head home to make better plans. Last thing I need is to get medevac'd out for stupidity! That valley is too isolated to get stupid in!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread