Glacial till

maxpower

Apr 29, 2005
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what do you folks think of glacial till? could there be gold in it? or is it a waste of time?
my family owns some land in Maine and we have been putting a road through it, the earth is all glacial till (rocks,gravel,sand) we have not found any bedrock and have dug at least 35 feet deep at one point looking for water, the town its located in it has had gold and silver found in it. do i get a pan and some water or do i just build a barbecue from the many stones there?

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wouldn't hurt to take a sample here and there. Who knows what you may find, maybe even a diamond, plus you could always build that barbeque. :icon_thumleft:

First places I would sample would be where melt water has left channels through the till between hills. Any gold concentrations would be found there and in any creeks that may run through it.

GG~

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do both , test pan as you go, then relax next to the fire with a couple tubs of water and see what you get,glacil till will have gold ,but you must understand,that till is the same material as a stream,so similar rules apply, boulders,or very large cobble,when that (till) was deposited,it was the out wash of what the melting glacier was pushing,or locked up within it,gold will consentrate within that till,just as it would in a stream/river, look for stratification,bands of soil/sand, of differing colors/materials,then test each color horizon, each different color would represent a different time/event, it will identify which are pay lyers if any, if your till appears to be moddeled and mixed up uniformly, then that suggests it was deposited very rapidly at the same time,this happens in steep/narrow valleys. the strats will change,and go for the low ones, those glaciers diddnt melt over night. good luck, i hope you find a crazy big nugg!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread