GLASS BOTTLE WITH STOPPER - DURAGLAS

Krayzswt1

May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey!

I'm completely new to this site, but was hoping that I might could get some insight on a bottle that we found.

From the research that I've done, I know, for a fact, that it is Duraglas. The insignia on the bottle is the logo from the company. The number to the left is a '4', the number to the right is a '9'. The number listed on the bottom (which from what I've seen is an unknown number). Completely clueless as to what this bottle may be worth, or when exactly it was made. There are no other markings on the bottle other than the logo itself, the 4 on the left, the 9 on the right, and a 13 on the bottom and an E1162 on the side, at the very bottom of the bottle.:icon_scratch::dontknow::hello:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
do you have an img

some info on Duraglas

Duraglas - This was the proprietary name for a process used by the Owens-Illinois Glass Company where the surface of the hot, just produced bottles, were sprayed on the body, shoulder, and neck (not base or the top of the finish) with a stannic chloride vapor that allowed the tin to bond to the outer surface and providing scratch resistance and durability to the bottles. (Information courtesy of Phil Perry, engineer with that company.) This process - and the embossed notation of it ( in script) on the base of many Owens-Illinois products - began in 1940 and continued up until at least the mid-1950s, though the process is still in use today without the notation (Toulouse 1971; Miller & Morin 2004; Phil Perry, O-I engineer pers. comm. 2007). The photo to the right (click to enlarge) is of a 1941 beer bottle with the Duraglas notation in the lower portion of the base embossing. (See the machine-made bottle dating page Question #11 for more information on the dating of this bottle.)
Bottle Glossary Page
more
Machine Made Dating 11

Upvote 0

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey!

I'm completely new to this site, but was hoping that I might could get some insight on a bottle that we found.

From the research that I've done, I know, for a fact, that it is Duraglas. The insignia on the bottle is the logo from the company. The number to the left is a '4', the number to the right is a '9'. The number listed on the bottom (which from what I've seen is an unknown number). Completely clueless as to what this bottle may be worth, or when exactly it was made. There are no other markings on the bottle other than the logo itself, the 4 on the left, the 9 on the right, and a 13 on the bottom and an E1162 on the side, at the very bottom of the bottle.:icon_scratch::dontknow::hello:

sorry I just cant picture it...perhaps a few photos might help...http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/136849-please-read-before-posting-items-what.html...
welcome and yes we will all try to help you if you help us
cheers

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread