tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a great article, Charl! Thanks. I have never been "lucky" with corn in my garden!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wow...i wonder what it tastes like...

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool! Aside from visual, are there any other benefits from this breed? In my work, we look for crops that are more disease resistant, temperature hardy, drought resistant, pest resistant, have higher yields etc.

(I work for the University of Florida in the Institute of Food and Agricultural Science in the International programs dept where we create and share knowledge world wide in the hopes of helping to "feed the future.")

One comment my Haitian colleague made was that "Americans eat with their eyes, so it can be less tasty or nutritious or more expensive. The case in point-oranges. I love oranges. I can't get enough of them. One of the things I like about living in Florida is the oranges. The best oranges in terms of taste, juiciness and texture are the "juicing" oranges. They look like hell, all dirty and uneven green-yellow-dull orange colored, but they are the best! Compare them to Sunkist. Those are beautiful, vibrant even colored orange. Comparitively, they don't have the flavor or juiciness as the uglier ones and cost more. And the coloring is sprayed on (that can't be healthy).

So we buy a lot of our food based on the exterior we don't eat, or colors that don't necessarily indicate better quality, ripeness, or nutrition. And don't get me started about organic vs natural vs gmo.

I'll check this corn out more with my colleagues in the labs (the PhDs in food sciences, I'm a beuracrat) and see what they know.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Did you ever get around to evaluating the Gem corn?
Very cool! Aside from visual, are there any other benefits from this breed? In my work, we look for crops that are more disease resistant, temperature hardy, drought resistant, pest resistant, have higher yields etc.

(I work for the University of Florida in the Institute of Food and Agricultural Science in the International programs dept where we create and share knowledge world wide in the hopes of helping to "feed the future.")

One comment my Haitian colleague made was that "Americans eat with their eyes, so it can be less tasty or nutritious or more expensive. The case in point-oranges. I love oranges. I can't get enough of them. One of the things I like about living in Florida is the oranges. The best oranges in terms of taste, juiciness and texture are the "juicing" oranges. They look like hell, all dirty and uneven green-yellow-dull orange colored, but they are the best! Compare them to Sunkist. Those are beautiful, vibrant even colored orange. Comparitively, they don't have the flavor or juiciness as the uglier ones and cost more. And the coloring is sprayed on (that can't be healthy).

So we buy a lot of our food based on the exterior we don't eat, or colors that don't necessarily indicate better quality, ripeness, or nutrition. And don't get me started about organic vs natural vs gmo.

I'll check this corn out more with my colleagues in the labs (the PhDs in food sciences, I'm a beuracrat) and see what they know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread