• 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 351

pganjon

Nov 6, 2008
South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter 5, Ace 250
Hello! I have never tried this, but what if you put the bottle in hot water up to the lip and let the stopper part stay above the water in the cool air. I was thinking that the neck would expand from the heat and maybe separate from the stopper before the heat made it through and expanded the stopper :sign13: Just a thought, be careful to warm the bottle up some before putting it in hot water so it won't crack :icon_sunny: Good luck! Paul :coffee2:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had good luck with this method...but proceed at your own risk. Run your hot water tap full blast until the very hottest water is running. Turn down the water flow to very small, say pencil lead size or fast drip. Hold bottle horizontally under the water stream, let the water flow around the stopper area of the neck for 15 seconds or so, while mildly pulling and twisting the stopper out. The trick is to get the neck hot, the stopper stays cold and presto! This works for me every time.

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Green1 ~

As an additional thought regarding the bottle itself; Even though it says "Perfume" on the label, it "appears" to be a Smelling Salts bottle by the Crown Company who made a variety of similar items. If/when you get it open, take a light whiff of the contents and tell us what happens. If it has been sealed all these years, you might be in for a surprise.

SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
green1 ~

I thought I'd share this image of a 1890 magazine ad showing what one of the original Crown Perfumery "Lavender Salts" labels looked like.

Smelling salts were quite popular during the Victorian age. One reason being that women's corsets were so tight they would often faint from a lack of oxygen. The salts would revive them. They also went hand-in-hand with "Fainting Couches" from the same period, for the same purpose. And the fact that many homes were filled with pipe and cigar smoke didn't help matters either.

SBB

Attachments

• Crown Perfumery ad with label 1890.jpg
    Crown Perfumery ad with label 1890.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 294

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
And while we're at it we might as well know something about what came in that little green bottle.

This concludes my "2 cents worth," which is about what a bottle of smelling salts sold for in 1890.

SBB

"The base of smelling salts is ammonium carbonate, a salt with a white crystalline structure. When ammonium carbonate is mixed with water, in the case of “aromatic spirits of ammonia,” or perfume, the reaction creates fumes which rise from the salts. When placed under someone's nose, the fumes irritate the mucus membranes of the nose, throat, and lungs, stimulating the body to breathe more quickly. The mixture of perfume with ammonium carbonate could have resulted in a rather interesting odor, which is why smelling salts were kept tightly bottled when they were not needed."

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hammer?
Had to, sorry.
Good luck, and I agree with the trying to catch a whiff.
Carl

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Haven't heard from Green1 in a few days. Hope he didn't whiff to hard. :-\

OP
OP
Green1

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
Thanx all !! I have tried baby oil before i asked for help.. wd may be better.. have tried the hot water.. now i'll try the cold...really like the cobalt.. but this one is way cool !! And yes.. i'll take a HUGE whiff... And let ya know..... ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread