Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was -41 here in Gunnison last week. I wouldnt mind some climate change sometimes!
One things for sure, if the climate stopped changing that would be something to worry about.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not "Global Warming" so much as climate change. We may otherwise have been starting the next Ice Age and just delayed it a few more years. ;-)

If the ocean currents flip or stall there could be some very cold spots that aren't so now and vice-versa.

Actually, we had a very nice summer last year. Winter before was mild. This one had pounded us a bit more with both cold and snow.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is a balmy 22° here right now. I'm about to go out and work on the snow plow. Gotta change out the hydraulic cylinders! :BangHead: But still, MUCH nicer than the "normal" January temps here!!

We were at -40° last ...Friday, I think? Unfortunately it was also with wind! Stupid - Copy.gif

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
This is what I don't understand. In "MY" humble opinion, both of you are thinking on too small a scale. The weather is ALWAYS changing! Back in the 70's there was Global Cooling. Where's that on the chart? It was simply a period of cooler temps. Long ago, back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, the temps were warmer.....or WERE they?!?!? Yes, warner in many areas, but there is also evidence that the poles have flipped several times. There's evidence that the weather changes in very gradual patterns - as in, a human lifetime is but a second in the global climate scheme of things. Add to that that ALL WE HAVE TO GO BY as for past weather is what we can find in ice cores, and what is written in historical documents. Seems to me there is a lot that CAN be verified, but still way too many holes to get a realistic picture.

In any case, I'm out of this race. I'll be long-gone before the weather ever gets to a point where it won't support life! BUT< I think that time may be coming. And no, I don't think mankind had a whole lot to do with it. The Earth is in a relatively mild, stable climate right now. THIS -- WILL -- CHANGE! And it doesn't matter if we're here or not. Hopefully it will happen slowly enough that mankind will be able to adapt.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the continents are also always in motion. As some are rising, others are dropping - and some are, for the time being, stable. Eventually, the whole of North America will once again be under water at the bottom of the ocean. Then it will some day, millions of years from now, arise again - maybe next time it will be the new Antarctica, or maybe the new Australia.

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mother Nature, gotta love her as she laughs at us. There was a point in time where if it was cold, you put a hat on, if it was warm you didn't. No questions asked. Shoot, I was told to put a hat on even if it was warm. Go figure.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, there's another small aspect of things that I rarely hear talked about. It has to do with volcanic activity, namely in more industrialized nations. Oil and natural gas are nearly everywhere within the Earth. However, as fractures occur and volcanoes erupt, much of the oil that "would have" been there now isn't, because it has been pumped out and used for nearly every aspect of modern-day life.

Try checking the number and frequency and intensity of volcanic eruptions over the past 200+ years. I think you'll be intrigued!

That's just one of the aspects. But yes, you're absolutely right about large cities. Even out here in our terribly small burbs, it's almost always cooler in the country then in town. Is also almost always more windy as well, as the buildings make great wind blocks.

Another very interesting thing that is changing the weather, AND is due entirely by mankind, is the amount of ground water. On the west coast, and now, also in much of the Rockies regions, it is getting more and more difficult to find adequate ground water for supplying to the masses. Why? Because it takes time for the ground to recharge, but we never stop consuming; never stop pumping. With moisture in the ground, more plants grow, which helps create more oxygen , prevent erosion, cools the ground with shade, etc, etc, etc. Yet now, many areas have little if any ground water left, and they are literally turning to desert. As the ground dries up, the vegetation dies. As the vegetation dies, the soil gets hotter/drier. As the area gets hotter, more people flock there to escape colder climates, then crank up their A/C's. More people means more water usage. It's a vicious cycle.

There's also a tremendous amount of heat each year due to wild fires. However, I no longer think this is much of a problem, as there has always been wild fires caused by lightening, and they were often much worse as there was even more fuel (more dense vegetation) than now. On the other hand, the ground had more moisture, which meant plants were more hydrated, which meant less likely to badly burn. So, I dunno really - too much for me to grasp!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Connecticut and we had one snow storm last November, this month, two storms. Be out April or May with a new detector.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
OB - sorry, no. Have never heard of it before. ...Seems like I remember a spot in the desert where some guy buried a lot of Cadillac's on end, but.... :dontknow:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"Cadillac Ranch" - I believe that's in Texas. An automobile Stonehenge...

Cadillac Desert discusses how the Arizona aquifer is empty. Too many golf courses and folks moving to the desert wanting fresh green lawns like they were still back in Ohio.I'm sure you're already heard this: "Water is the oil of the 21st Century." International corporations buying up water rights, water systems being privatized, etc.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
So do the scientist have it all wrong? What is there general consensus? I know that the ice caps are melting. Not much more then that. I don't think someone saying or it snowed or didn't snow wher they live sheds much light on the subject.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
All I know is, when it comes to water, we're plenty good right where we are! The dang basement pump is still pumping out a couple thousand gallons a day even with the ground frozen down 5' to 6'!!

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sometimes scientist are in disagreement on things. Some believe that sugar is harmful and can lead to obesity while others believe that its fine. (those are usually sponsored by the sugar industry.) Sort of like when the Tobacco executives all stated that cigarettes were not addictive and were basically harmless. Often there is an agenda behind conclusions. And its always money at the bottom of it.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you is what observations I am making in my locale. First, we are having a lot of sink holes opening up. From the news reports it seems to be happening from at least Michigan to Florida. Not sure what that indicates, but there's that.
Secondly, over the past three years the summers and winters are getting warmer, and summers are much longer. Fall and spring seem too short now. Used to be I'd only use my AC unit a couple months in August. Last two years it's been fired up starting in April. Very strange. When I was a kid, we'd get to ride snowmobile for at least three months and have to deal with a couple feet deep snow storms. Last two years there was never enough snow to snowmobile, or it melted almost as fast as it came.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we don't know everything. Sometimes later down the line they find out they got it wrong or they got it right but for the wrong reasons.
But when money is the motivation behind anything, the whole truth is alot harder to find.
Why can't the third world countries start out using so called "green" technologies. Why aren't the coastal cities using desalination of the ocean for fresh water and also a power supply.
I'm sure there are some very good workable solutions, but because money is a large factor in global warming/climate change, those solutions will not be put forth for the "greater good" untill the "price" has been paid.
Kind of like the planet is being held hostage till the people pay the ransom.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, we don't know everything. Sometimes later down the line they find out they got it wrong or they got it right but for the wrong reasons.
But when money is the motivation behind anything, the whole truth is alot harder to find.
Why can't the third world countries start out using so called "green" technologies. Why aren't the coastal cities using desalination of the ocean for fresh water and also a power supply.
I'm sure there are some very good workable solutions, but because money is a large factor in global warming/climate change, those solutions will not be put forth for the "greater good" untill the "price" has been paid.
Kind of like the planet is being held hostage till the people pay the ransom.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

In a word, "eco-nazis". These environmentalist groups protest every dang thing that could be of benefit. Power plants wanting to use sea water to cool the reactors while using the waste heat to make massive amounts of drinking water, but NNNOOOOO!!!!!, they put too much salt back into the ocean. Like, REALLY?!?!? I think the mighty oceans can handle a little bit of salt brine!

Therefore, nothing gets done. Yet, these enviro-nuts are still out there washing their cars and watering their little gardens.

When my dad was in California trying to get some cancer therapy, it was fairly dry. The wind had very little moisture. However, lawns were green and lush. Sprinkler systems were going everywhere! There weren't even older vehicles on the road - everything looked newer. Only saw a couple of older vehicles in the month I was there. It was really sad!! ...And this was just on the edge of L.A.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I was lamenting the lack of warm in my local region today, and wondering where it all went. So, I searched for it on the Internet. Came across a Climate Change site on NASA.gov that has this cool sliding graph of the world's temperatures from 1884 to 2015. When you click it, it will auto play, but you can just grab the ball slider and slide it around to quickly see the temperature differences.

http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

Global Warming indeed. The last ten years have been pretty hot! Maybe I ought not to be complaining about the cold spell... (I'm actually not.. .I'm only complaining I can't be metal detecting...)

Skippy

Skippy, I'm not sure how old you are or what sort of work you've done, so I'll leave out saying you're too young, too old, or were too sheltered to know otherwise. I have no knowledge of those items.

What I do know is that I've been around long enough to know that anyone claiming that there is "man made" global warming is an expert in the use of one of these devices:

cb34556d28d027227489ba5f328b2028.jpg

(device for administering tobacco enemas in the 1770's)

1978 - In Search of The Coming Ice Age. Nice video. Lots of scientists and their research. Did you know we were headed into a global Ice Age in 1978? Hmm... the the plot thickens.

Same scientists changed their minds when the money was shown to be on the other side of the issue(I have a list of the contributors to the video, including the head of the Climatology Department of the University of Colorado ... the opening scientist in the presentation), same ice cores used in the video, same dire warnings, all of it claiming we were heading into another ice age and nothing could be done about it.

When was this video produced? 1977, televised in 1978. So, what changed their minds?

Reality in the form of the summer of 1980. If you weren't there, let me tell you about it. That was all that was on the evening news that summer. The extreme heat, drought, and the resulting deaths.

An "aha" moment alerted them that people were more afraid of burning up than freezing to death.

Were they lying to us then, or are they lying to us now? The answer is "Yes" and "Yes".

Again, the same scientists in this video are at the forefront of the Global Warming scare (except for a couple who have died). BTW, did you know that Jupiter is also undergoing a period of "Global warming" --- and it isn't even infested with humans!

Grab a bag of popcorn and watch. Have fun, learn, and think about what someone has to gain from scaring the public.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread