"GLORY DAYS" for Ol' timers thread... let's have fun & share..!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I joined the Air Force in '67 at the recruiter's office I filled out a "dream" sheet and picked 2 career choices, most didn't get either choice. I chose photography and Intelligence, which I thought was cool, well the job I was assigned after basic was as a Photo Interpreter for Air Force Intelligence, and off to tech school I went.

The extremely high-security clearance I had because of my job gave me access to Intelligence libraries, and intelligence briefings, and I got to examine and interpret Satellite, U-2, SR-71, and F-4 photos and videos, as well as develop and review film taken from B-52s on bombing runs during Nam. Another perk was the job also gave me access to flying on the B52s and I did so many times over the 4 years. I became friends with several pilots and was able to ride in the co-pilot seat multiple times as well as experience inflight refuelings, the highest I flew was 49,000 feet, and I got to observe the curvature of the earth which was easy to see at that altitude.

One more major event comes to mind immediately. I was working for a phone company installing central office equipment, I was sent to Minot ND with another employee who was my roommate many times on different jobs. We knew each other in Florida and were transferred to Ohio, Minnesota, Nebraska, and North Dakota together over the years.

In Minot, we were told by the foreman that the equipment we were to install was still being manufactured and had not shipped from the factory and there was nothing for us to do till it arrived.

The boss saw we both had 2-week vacations coming and he told us if we took our vacation then, he would cover any extra time we were gone over the 2 weeks as there was nowhere to transfer us at that time, we just had to call in on Wed and Fri to check on if the equipment had shipped.

We decided to head west to camp on a tour of the National parks, we ended up driving almost 6 thousand miles camping in National Parks all over the west, drove the coastline highway from Seattle to San Diego, up to Vegas, then Utah, and then back to Minor, we were gone a total of 6.5 weeks camping. We toured and camped in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona. Little did I know at the time that I was on the best vacation of my lifetime...

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool, for many of us, there were certainly moments of greatness, but that was it...just a moment here and there.

1988 World Championship for predator calling I came in 3rd after competing against the late Murry Burnham and the late Jim Dougherty, who were the GOATS of the predator calling world. Doesn't mean diddly to anyone else, but it was a moment I'll always remember.
D.D..... Since you were into predator calling maybe you were a hunter or archer...? But I'm just assuming that. I was both. But this post is about target archery outside of any hunting or bowhunting. One day around 87'-88' I saw a target archer shooting in a pro shop in Portage MI. called Starlight Archery. I was amazed and took and interest. A women named Joan G. ran it. She was a National women's winner and great teacher. I'll skip a lot now..... fast forward.....!!!!!

By 90' I was very good. I had been and was teaching many folks at my G.M. stamping plant in Kalamazoo to now shoot. I "learned" from them also. One day all those folks chipped in and they ordered from Miss Joan a world class target bow (at the time) and presented it to me. This allowed me to go to a totally new level. Joan supported me with arrows and anything I needed. I'll skip a lot now..... fast forward.....again...!!!!!!

After some National shoots, state shoots and many money shoots with success I decided to jump into the "big waters" and shoot the "Las Vegas Open" in 92". This shoot is one of the most elite perceived events concerning target archery in the world and still is. There's many levels to enter and I decided to enter into the "open" division. This is the level just below the pro's. Again, the folks I taught surprised me and helped me with funds to get there. I love'em all...! The day before my plane was to leave for Vegas I was sitting with Miss Joan at Starlight. This lady slid an envelope across the table and TOLD ME to enter into the Pro's upon arriving. This envelope contained the "extra" $100.00 entry fee for that and $40.00 for "her gambling" per me. She had a lot of faith in me and I'll never forget it to my grave.... fast forward... again...!!!!

I arrived in Vegas, entered the pro division (first time) and showed up to shoot the next day. The best shooters in the world are there and I KNOW them and see them but (they don't know me at all) and shouldn't. I'm now not a big fish in a little pond around MI. but the a small one in the ocean of professional archery.... fast forward... again...!!!!

After 2 days of shooting only the top 50 out of 100's are allowed to advance to the finals the 3rd day. 300/60X's is a perfect round. I shot 300/58X's and was tied for 7th. But I was in the top 10 and it ran to my head (mistake) and I couldn't believe it. X's are 3/4" @ 60ft. Many folks couldn't shoot a 22 rifle offhand 60 times into a 3/4" target at 60' at a 98+% ratio.... fast forward... again...!

3rd day at finals 92"... 30 shots to determine the winner minimum. Missed my 2nd shot of 3 and home I was sent....? I got 31st.... fast forward... again...!

Went back in 93" to try again in the pro's. Shot 300 w/59X's and tied for 2nd for finals. I fell in 2nd round this time and AGAIN tied for 31st. I shot / beside Dee Wilde, Terry Ragsdale (beat), Frank Person (beat) and his wife Becky and MANY other pro's. I shot the 1st year along side with Michelle Ragsdale and she introduced me to Terry the next day in the hallway.

So that is a total Glory couple of years and shooting against the world's best archers. In 94' I moved to TN. and NEVER again shot a competitive round of archery. I quit 100% and moved onto more important things at the time. THAT WAS TOUGH TO DO...!!!!!!!!

Those times are some GLORY DAYS for me. I have a few others but I'd sure like to hear anybody's else's big or small Ol' Glory Days moment(s).

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I joined the Air Force in '67 at the recruiter's office I filled out a "dream" sheet and picked 2 career choices, most didn't get either choice. I chose photography and Intelligence, which I thought was cool, well the job I was assigned after basic was as a Photo Interpreter for Air Force Intelligence, and off to tech school I went.

The extremely high-security clearance I had because of my job gave me access to Intelligence libraries, and intelligence briefings, and I got to examine and interpret Satellite, U-2, SR-71, and F-4 photos and videos, as well as develop and review film taken from B-52s on bombing runs during Nam. Another perk was the job also gave me access to flying on the B52s and I did so many times over the 4 years. I became friends with several pilots and was able to ride in the co-pilot seat multiple times as well as experience inflight refuelings, the highest I flew was 49,000 feet, and I got to observe the curvature of the earth which was easy to see at that altitude.

One more major event comes to mind immediately. I was working for a phone company installing central office equipment, I was sent to Minot ND with another employee who was my roommate many times on different jobs. We knew each other in Florida and were transferred to Ohio, Minnesota, Nebraska, and North Dakota together over the years.

In Minot, we were told by the foreman that the equipment we were to install was still being manufactured and had not shipped from the factory and there was nothing for us to do till it arrived.

The boss saw we both had 2-week vacations coming and he told us if we took our vacation then, he would cover any extra time we were gone over the 2 weeks as there was nowhere to transfer us at that time, we just had to call in on Wed and Fri to check on if the equipment had shipped.

We decided to head west to camp on a tour of the National parks, we ended up driving almost 6 thousand miles camping in National Parks all over the west, drove the coastline highway from Seattle to San Diego, up to Vegas, then Utah, and then back to Minor, we were gone a total of 6.5 weeks camping. We toured and camped in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, and Arizona. Little did I know at the time that I was on the best vacation of my lifetime...
Sir... My hat is off to you. I enjoyed talking to you last week and we'll do it again. And THANK YOUR FOR YOU SERVICE T.H....!!!!!! That I forgot to say to you at the time but meant to. I can't begin to compare my ol' Glory Days to yours sir.... YOURS was vitally important and many of mine are / were self serving by nature. But I envy ya on that LONG vacation sir.... Good job. Brad :icon_thumright:

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don’t have much on the way of accomplishments. At least not that seemed important enough to burn into my memory. I’m proud of self-educating into my career field (computers) but I kinda had to at the time, there just wasn’t any training to be had yet.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sir... My hat is off to you. I enjoyed talking to you last week and we'll do it again. And THANK YOUR FOR YOU SERVICE T.H....!!!!!! That I forgot to say to you at the time but meant to. I can't begin to compare my ol' Glory Days to yours sir.... YOURS was vitally important and many of mine are / were self serving by nature. But I envy ya on that LONG vacation sir.... Good job. Brad :icon_thumright:
Back at you Brad, and you are still living your glory days, your toy box venture is something to be very proud of.

Marino13

Sep 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Glory Days"? You mean stuff you did that you wouldn't want your parents or kids to know you did? 😏 🤣 🤣 🤣

At my age (close to yours), I try to make every day a "glory day." A lesson I've learned (and re-learned many times) from my dogs: Live in the moment. 😁 IOW, these ARE (or should be) our "glory days". 😉 😁

I wonder how long it'll take for this thread to devolve into Munchausian braggadocio.... 🤔 😂

"And then there was the time my coil crapped out, so I cobbled one out of the rusty coathanger I'd just dug, and wound it with the lock of Willie Nelson's red hair (that I always carry for just such emergencies) soaked in Geritol (for the iron). But as luck would have it, I must have done something wrong because the only metal it would detect is 24K gold, and this field was stinkin' with it.

Dejected, I threw away the fifty pound sack of large cents and silvers I'd dug earlier in the day. Then I called my wife... Morgan Fairchild--and told her I'd be late for dinner..."
😁
Morgan fairchild is still hot at 74. She is on a soap opera my wife watches. In fact I think she looks better now than back in the day. She was a little too skinny back in the day

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really don’t have much on the way of accomplishments. At least not that seemed important enough to burn into my memory. I’m proud of self-educating into my career field (computers) but I kinda had to at the time, there just wasn’t any training to be had yet.
Good job and thanks for sharing sir. robertK... I too had to do the same thing on a moments notice when G.M. plucked me from production work and gave me job working for engineering with a H.S. education. What a crash course...!!!!!!!

Hell yes that counts and you should be proud of what you did.... Great Glory memory sir... Brad

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back at you Brad, and you are still living your glory days, your toy box venture is something to be very proud of.
That sir what your referencing will probably be the last of any "Glory Days" for me because I could NEVER top that nor would I want too. Thanks You T.H.

I just want others to share what made an impact upon their lives at a moment in time that their proud of. And... not compare somebody else's to another.... JUST YOU...!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions