Gloves, Never Use Them

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I tried to wear gloves when I first started the hobby back in 2010. They are clumsy and really dirty up a head unit on a metal detector, so I stopped using them. What is the reason for using pinpoint, and the pricey handheld pin pointer? It is simply to limit the time spent using your hands to retrieve a target. I use my machine, my digger and shovel to get my target out and next to the hole. That just always seemed practical. All of my machines are still very clean after time put into hunts.

To each their own but I don't miss gloves at all, after 10 years.

Reactions: BFR

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to wear gloves when I first started the hobby back in 2010. They are clumsy and really dirty up a head unit on a metal detector, so I stopped using them. What is the reason for using pinpoint, and the pricey handheld pin pointer? It is simply to limit the time spent using your hands to retrieve a target. I use my machine, my digger and shovel to get my target out and next to the hole. That just always seemed practical. All of my machines are still very clean after time put into hunts.

To each their own but I don't miss gloves at all, after 10 years.
I agree on doing it old school , I don't use gloves or a pin pointer , dig my relics with a WW2 entrenching tool.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I tried gloves; don’t like them. I never have been a glove person. Only for baling hay in square bales. That twine is hard on the hands after several hundred bales. In MMA they were mandatory in the 80s, at least in our tourneys. That made sense.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now on the other hand I have always worn gloves
Can pick up a coin, and the paws stay clean.
I can eat with dirty paws, but when I get to be digging in a field that has had crap spread, I prefer clean paws to eat with.
I detected 40yrs without a PP, then bought one. Recovery rate went up also.
Sandy, loamy, dirt it's easy to retrieve a target.
Get into the sticky clay, it's a PP every day.
The days of grabbing a handful of dirt, waving, drop, grab another, drop, repeat.
I've seen videos of guys doing this 6 times, then they grab the PP. Really?
I just click fast forward, and be done with it.🤣
Working with scrap metals, unloading steel, gloves are just an extention of the fingers.
Plus the paws have some serious damage, they go the same temperature as outside. I'm a glove kind of guy.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use finger-less gloves. Not only for detecting, but many other things as well. It keeps the palms of my hands clean, and also helps prevent some unwanted cuts etc.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected about a month before I began using gloves, I get them for about a buck a pair and went through a couple a year when I was literally obsessed with this hobby. I enjoy the protection they provide. After a couple of months I bought a cheap pin pointer (it worked better as a paper weight) I ended up giving it away. My 1st season I dug over $500 in coins without a pin pointer, I wonder how much more I could have dug with a good pin pointer. I like them so much now that I keep a spare on hand and will not detect without one. I also use knee pads. These are the type of gloves I wear
662909947857lg.jpg

DIG5050

Apr 15, 2021
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Deus II 9”
Garrett Apex
Fisher 1236-X2
Fisher CZ20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use gloves that I buy in bulk from a warehouse club, just like the ones mentioned by Loco-Digger. They’ve saved me from cut fingers when retrieving a target from a hole containing broken glass and sharp can slaw. A quick couple of swipes on the grass cleans off any mud before reaching for the detector again. When done detecting my hands are relatively clean. I wouldn’t go detecting without them now.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I don't like about gloves is the tan lines! Super white hands with tan arms ha. But I do like having somewhat clean hands while digging and keeping dirt from under the fingernails. Plus makes handling sharp objects easier. I just keep a rain cover/protector over the box to keep it nice. Different strokes for different folks!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I don't like about gloves is the tan lines! Super white hands with tan arms ha. But I do like having somewhat clean hands while digging and keeping dirt from under the fingernails. Plus makes handling sharp objects easier. I just keep a rain cover/protector over the box to keep it nice. Different strokes for different folks!
Well if you scratch a Nail, Broken piece of glass or a NEEDLE the glove saves you a LOT !!! There is so much dangerous stuff in the ground now one can't be to safe

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if you scratch a Nail, Broken piece of glass or a NEEDLE the glove saves you a LOT !!! There is so much dangerous stuff in the ground now one can't be to safe
I N E V ER detect without my goatskin gloves ...never..when you get the fungus under your nails or cut with glass or rusty metal it will ruin your day...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been sliced many times by glass in the younger days digging.
Then a few years back I was digging, didn't have gloves on, that sudden sting, and the familiar slice to the finger from a shard of glass.
Not a serious thing, just enough to be annoying for a week while it healed, broke open, healed up again.
A reminder on why didn't I wear them.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I detected about a month before I began using gloves, I get them for about a buck a pair and went through a couple a year when I was literally obsessed with this hobby. I enjoy the protection they provide. After a couple of months I bought a cheap pin pointer (it worked better as a paper weight) I ended up giving it away. My 1st season I dug over $500 in coins without a pin pointer, I wonder how much more I could have dug with a good pin pointer. I like them so much now that I keep a spare on hand and will not detect without one. I also use knee pads. These are the type of gloves I wear View attachment 2082001
I’ve been considering knee pads. The last ones had, for roofing, made the back of knees sweat like crazy though.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dirt is just dirt, though dirt hides lots of things.
Many have been noted on here already and there's the hidden things like:

"Tetanus (also known as lockjaw) is an infection spread by a bacterium. The bacterium lives in dirt, soil and dust, but can also be found in human and animal feces (poop).
If you have even a tiny cut in your skin, tetanus bacteria can get in."

"MAC is one of a large group of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), and the most common cause of NTM lung disease in the U.S. MAC organisms are common in soil and water and are easily inhaled during daily activities. Most of the time they cause no harm, but they can cause infection in groups with certain risk factors."

Never had Tetanus, but I'm still being studied/tested for MAC.
8 yrs of testing now, 3 yrs in the infectious disease clinic, passed the test in 2019.

Now as of Dec./22 CT scans showed holes in the lungs again.
Quote: "You have something eating holes in your lungs"
The latest CT scan as of this past month it seems to have stabilized again. :dontknow:

So dirt is dirty it seems, doesn't effect most, but for a few out there it's one of those things that bites you in the ass.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Dirt is just dirt, though dirt hides lots of things.
Many have been noted on here already and there's the hidden things like:

"Tetanus (also known as lockjaw) is an infection spread by a bacterium. The bacterium lives in dirt, soil and dust, but can also be found in human and animal feces (poop).
If you have even a tiny cut in your skin, tetanus bacteria can get in."

"MAC is one of a large group of nontuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), and the most common cause of NTM lung disease in the U.S. MAC organisms are common in soil and water and are easily inhaled during daily activities. Most of the time they cause no harm, but they can cause infection in groups with certain risk factors."

Never had Tetanus, but I'm still being studied/tested for MAC.
8 yrs of testing now, 3 yrs in the infectious disease clinic, passed the test in 2019.

Now as of Dec./22 CT scans showed holes in the lungs again.
Quote: "You have something eating holes in your lungs"
The latest CT scan as of this past month it seems to have stabilized again. :dontknow:

So dirt is dirty it seems, doesn't effect most, but for a few out there it's one of those things that bites you in the ass.
I hope they can keep you stabilized.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I’ve been considering knee pads. The last ones had, for roofing, made the back of knees sweat like crazy though.
Knee pads can cause thrombosis to the lower legs, because of the straps.
The slip in front pocket types in the camo pants seem like a smart idea.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Knee pads can cause thrombosis to the lower legs, because of the straps.
The slip in front pocket types in the camo pants seem like a smart idea.
I’ve been keeping a dense foam gardening kneeling pad in my bucket. It helps, but is a pain to keep moving it around.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel lucky to be alive , gardening 55 + years ,underground water and sewer utility worker 30+ years , plumber 20 years , relic hunter 35 years . I've touched some dirt in my days and only where glove to cut firewood yet I've been able to avoid some of the dangers posted . some of which I was not aware of. I went to the Amish livestock auction today , the Amish children all go barefoot this time of year and walk through the mud and the muck without a care.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread