Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere today about a method of cleaning called glue freeze. Basically, you lay out your coins, coat them completely with Elmers Glue, and place them in the freezer. Once frozen, the glue can be removed quite easily with the dirt and other crud stuck to it. It makes sense and supposedly does not damage the coin. Has anyone ever tried this?

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Haven't heard about the freezing part, but the glue & peel method seems fairly common among collectors of ancient coins. Some brush on Elmer's, let it dry for a few minutes, and then peel it off the coin. It usually takes several applications for best results. Others use a hot glue gun: put on a blob, let it harden, and then peel. Apparently they get pretty good results, although the downside is dulling of the patina. Personally, I wouldn't try either method on any coins I cared about.

Elmer's glue is mentioned here:

http://www.dirtyoldcoins.com/restore/cointypes.html

Hot glue is mentioned here:

http://utut.essortment.com/cleaningancient_rmnw.htm

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky
never heard of it but if you would want to sell your coin , one worth a bit of money and if you did this ,would not they know it had been cleaned :-\ i got a 1853 25 cent , seated and it has all the details on it on both sides , real nice but with a light coating of tar or that what it looks like. also , i got a 1893-0 barber 50 cent, i dont know what the grade would be but you can see a lot of detail on it but its bad in some spots. i know the 1853 is not worth much but if the tar was not on there , i think it would go more then xf :-\

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey , I may give that a try on some of my old bronze coins...The really bad ones that don't have a nice green patina...Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread