GMT 10" coil issue

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, well I just pulled out the GMT after about a week of sitting.. Switched it on and all is well with my 6x4" coil am able to max out the gain, and did a few air tests.
However! When I put the 10" coil on.. I cannot get the gain above 7 without the machine overloading..

VERY strange since I usually run the 10" with max gain with no problem in air tests, nothing metallic anywhere near the coil..

Anyway I'm thinking something inside the coil has gone bad, or maybe the machine itself (though its fine with the 6x4") so..... Coil gone bad?

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After opening up my GMT, playing with some of the internals, (turned the gain up a tad) SUPER sensitive now LOL.... Anyway tested it out with a friends 10" DD I am pretty sure it's my coil that has gone bad, or as the guy from Whites put it "being knocked out of calibration"

My feeling is Its the plug or cable.. Which either way means a new coil is on the way at my expense damnit...

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now What if u tryied out that coil ( the bad one ) on ur buddies machine that would most definetly prove its the coil being tried on 2,detectors just a thought

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After reading your suggestion... I ran my coil past my buddy's place.. Tested and sure enough GAIN EXPLOSION! Past 7.. So it's got to be the coil..

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad u were able to narrow it down to know for a fact it was the coil paya off when u can check with a friends detector good luck with it

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ordered a replacement, GMT that is, not coil... Figure I might as well go all out just in case.. Thanks for your input christo!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha either way u get the job done,& back to detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread