GMT Coil gone again....

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well a few months after my first 10" coil died, my 2nd one has the same problem along with the 6" this time...

Cannot set gain above 3-4 without the machine overloading... (Not near any metal objects)

After contacting White's I was told since the detector's warranty has expired, they could offer no assistance. (Fair enough) I told them I was happy to pay all costs involved in servicing the detector... (No sir, that isn't an option)
I believe this will be my last dealing with White's, as good as the GMT performs I am not willing to drop another $1065 AU for 10 year old technology (awesome machine or no)..

asphaltcowboy23

Jun 4, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Whites 6000 di pro sl, Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why won't they service your detector? Which service center did you call?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really thats strange iv honestly have seen them work on alot older models with no issues weird

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, Its the Australian service center... The guy was basically a jackass.. Spoke to someone at White's USA today... He said they would be more than happy to test and replace my coil if needed (even though the warranty has expired)

He said that on a cold day, the null zone in the coil shrinks, then when it heats up it expands and the coil will give the *bad ground reduce gain* message... (weird). and even weirder that its happened to both my coils..

I know Australian weather can be extreme, heat and cold but what the hell.. never had this problem with my minelab, teosor, fisher... ohwell .. Will see what happens.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok that sounds right now whites is very good keeping there customers happy I have the v3i with sunray & 4 extra coils the things a power house endless adjustments. Well good luck with ur coil

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be to simple a problem, but have you cleaned out the coil cover of any dirt?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might be to simple a problem, but have you cleaned out the coil cover of any dirt?

Simpliest things we never think to do as much as we probly should, good idea sandman

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I've done about everything I could think of... The above included..

Funny thing, the 10" coil is boned, but the 6" left to cool (sounds weird) overnight.. Is now working fine... However, left in the sun for 15 minutes this morning, It again overloads when the gain is set higher than 3 ish.. BAD GROUND..
Might have the board replaced... Just on the off chance it has gone bad in some way.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another reason I run the white sef coils on my v3i heat stays away

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread