GMT or MXT

F

Frank Blum

I have been out of metal detecting for over ten years now due to too many other hobbies. I spend a lot of time camping in and around the Stanley Basin of southern Idaho. I have found a little gold panning but would like to find something bigger. That brings me to the questions. I have been reading reviews for a few days now and am leaning toward a new GMT or possible a year old used MXT. What are your opinions. Would I be able to do a little coin/relic hunting with the GMT? Thanks. Later! Frank Blum in northern Utah

Upvote 0

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Hi Frank
How small of gold do you want to find? The GMT will get you down to 1/10th if a grain while the MXT will only go to about 1-2 grain size. For a all around detector the MXT would be you best bet. The GMT will work on any thing you want to detect only if you want to Liston to a lot of noise. The GMT doesn't have any discrimination built in so will sound of on anything metal. If I could go back when I made my purchase I would now get the MXT. I'm looking for a coin detector now. If you go with the MXT, don't forget that a multi purpose machine won't do any one thing as good as a detector made for one purpose. Hope this gives you a little insight.
Glen

Willy

While there are a number of points on which I agree with Glen, there is one where I do not. This is in regards to the sensitivity of the MXT. When I was up in Alaska's Brooks range, I regularly popped out nuggets weighing down to 1/3 of a grain ( I put them on the scale to be sure). This was using the 6x10 DD in ground that ran from 84-86, max gain & in hypersat. I also picked up some smaller stuff on bedrock that was more of a crackle than a distinct signal. For relic hunting there's a good chance that you'd be wrappimg the GMT around a tree after a few hours of hunting with it; I also own a GMT. ...Willy.

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Frank, with good heaphones, the GMT can find flakes as small as 1/10th grain, whereas the MXT can find them as small as 1/4 grain. Not really much difference there. However, the GMT will find those smaller nuggets about 1/3 deeper then the MXT, all other things being equal. Once the nuggets get to about 5 grains (wheatgrain size) there isn't much difference at all in performance between the two machines. As far as relic hunting is concerned, most true relic hunters use no discrimination, so either machine will be fine. BUT.... if you want to add regular coin and jewelry hunting to your detecting, the MXT is clearly the better choice. Whatever machine you choose, DON'T skimp on headphones; the higher the decibel output, the clearer small signals are heard. If you want more info feel free to email me at [email protected] HH Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread