sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The cheapest model, Does anyone have knowledge of this camera. I don't like the part about the battery. Once the battery is dead and can no longer be charged up, thats the end. my son said probably the camera will be old school any ways once that happens. i think I was told around 6 years the battery will be good for. I would like to buy one for my metal detecting hunts and I can use it for my ice fishing outings. I am concerned with a learning curve, and I hope someone knows a little about this camera. its the cheapest one they make. The numbers are CHA.... I don't know the rest. I found where I can purchase one for 129 shipped. Also should I get a head mount or a chest mount for taking video. The head mount seems a little weird to me. I would like to hear some suggestions, Thank You............Pete

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMO, there many options of cameras out there that have normal batteries in them for less money. (check then out on epay) even waterproof ones with the mounting hardware included. A six year battery would be based on what kind of usage per day/week etc. HH

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to be a lot more specific about the gopro, they have been around for a while and are currently on the model 4. Even if you are talking about the very first gopro hero, batteries are still available. Just google it.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was told the battery is part of the camera body, Here is the model GoPro HERO Action Camera: # CHDHA-301

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well whaddayaknow.... googling "GoPro HERO Action Camera: # CHDHA-301" took me to that camera page on the gopro website. says it has a built in battery which is the first I've seen like that. Learned summfin new today!

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess this is the future, Throw everything out when you are done using it? I was told it should last 6 years. my son said that new tech cameras will be out and you would not be using this camera in 6 years anyways. maybe he is right, but I always take good care of my stuff. This battery issue is whats stopping me from making a purchase. I am thinking about a chest mount also, I could get this camera for 119 shipped, I have some store credit I can use towards the purchase

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
electronics aren't supposed to last for decades. Most of this stuff is obsolete within a year and darn near useless before 10. There is no way I'd buy that thing simply for the battery issue. You know what happens within an hour of use? Your battery is dead. Either you can swap to a fresh battery and keep filming or you're done until you go home and charge for a few hours.

I have a set of pivothead camera glasses. Great idea, terrible execution. Built in battery and memory so when it's dead or full, you're done. I have lost some great dig films because of those issues.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense and a game changer for me, Thanks for the advice.....Pete

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is another way to look at our disposable culture... Back in the 1950s, items were built to last and often repaired over and over until they simply couldn't be repaired. In the 1950s, the average income was about $3000 a year and a TV cost $200. That's almost 10% of your pay for a year (before taxes). Today you can buy a TV that is 10 times larger, 1/4 the weight, a million times better image and 10 times cheaper when compare to your income. Even if the micro-circuit electronics of today were easily repaired like the old stuff, it would still cost as much to repair as it does to replace.

RGV_Digger

Dec 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazon has the SJ4000. Compared to the gopro the video and picture seems to a tad darker but sharper. Has a removable battery and SD card slot. Best of all its only a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
sgt tee

sgt tee

Dec 2, 2014
N.E.Pa.
Detector(s) used
1.Whites XLT

2.Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey thanks for the heads up, I will check this out, Appreciated....Pete

Mich. Wolverine

Dec 12, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266
I just got a GO PRO Hero 3 White edition this past summer for $ 200.00 and I really like it. It has a rechargeable battery and you can buy extra ones for it and a charger also. It don't come with a viewfinder but if you have a smartphone you can wifi with the camera and see what your filming or you can buy the backpack for $ 80.00 that is a screen that hooks up to the back of the camera. With the wifi you only have to take the camera out of the waterproof case to recharge the battery. I hope this helps.
Wolverine.

ca.miner

Dec 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned 3 gopro's. all but the newest model. The first model had a problem with it. High vibration or bumps would freeze the picture for split second I'm big in snow sports. Anyways the sound an picture quality would freeze up. Giving poor video quality. Go with the gopro 3 hero. Works good. Other cameras offer same quality for half the price. An the way it goes you will lose it before the battery goes bead!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread