Going down memory lane...

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had the grandkids over this weekend, and one of them was asking about my time in the service, so I dug out a few of my old saved items, and found some items that I had completely forgotten about. Back in the mid 60's, I was stationed at the Persidio in San Francisco for about a year. Used to walk the stoney shoreline of the base quite often, as San Francisco was just too expensive to do much on military pay. Outside the main gate, along the shore line, there used to be a motel with a large gravel shoreline. They probably had the gravel hauled in. I remember walking that "beach" a few times, and picking up coins once in awhile. Opened a small container today, and found the coins pictured below. There was a 1960 Franklin half, a 1964 Washington quarter, a 19?? Mercury dime, 2 nickels, a 1945S and a 1964D, and 3 pennies. A 1939S and a 19?? wheats, and one corroaded so bad you can't tell what it was.

So, I was able to "find" 4 silvers that I had forgotten about, and had some stories for the kids too. A winner all the way around, and I didn't even have to leave the house.

Attachments

• San Francisco finds 4.jpg
    San Francisco finds 4.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 610
Upvote 0

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Welcome Home Brother!
Congrad's on the find.
Tenn. Joe

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Now that is a very cool find.....like you said, you didn't even have to leave the house! Thanks for sharing!

HH,
Moon

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OH....that's what happened to my pocket change.... ;D

I was at the Presidio from 67-69...Dad was assigned to run the Stockade. I loved that base. Would love to go back and visit, even though it's not an Army Post any more... :(...attended Marina JHS (off-post). Was there when the "Hippies" prostested outside the gate and during the Zodiac times. :(

Thank you for your service!!!

Nice finds and wonderful story....
Annmarie

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nebstater said:
Had the grandkids over this weekend, and one of them was asking about my time in the service, so I dug out a few of my old saved items, and found some items that I had completely forgotten about. Back in the mid 60's, I was stationed at the Persideo in San Francisco for about a year. Used to walk the stoney shoreline of the base quite often, as San Francisco was just too expensive to do much on military pay. Outside the main gate, along the shore line, there used to be a motel with a large gravel shoreline. They probably had the gravel hauled in. I remember walking that "beach" a few times, and picking up coins once in awhile. Opened a small container today, and found the coins pictured below. There was a 1960 Franklin half, a 1964 Washington quarter, a 19?? Mercury dime, 2 nickels, a 1945S and a 1964D, and 3 pennies. A 1939S and a 19?? wheats, and one corroaded so bad you can't tell what it was.

So, I was able to "find" 4 silvers that I had forgotten about, and had some stories for the kids too. A winner all the way around, and I didn't even have to leave the house.

That badly corroded penny was probably a steel penny, I believe it was 1943 that they were minted. Over the years I have found several, and they come out corroded like that. I have very little doubt that it was a steel penny.

F

Felinepeachy

How Fun!!! Kinda like finding cash is a coat pocket you haven't worn in a long time. ;D

OP
OP
nebstater

nebstater

Jul 24, 2007
Star City
Detector(s) used
White's - DFX,Prizm V, Spectra V3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ron and Ann said:
OH....that's what happened to my pocket change.... ;D

I was at the Presidio from 67-69...Dad was assigned to run the Stockade. I loved that base. Would love to go back and visit, even though it's not an Army Post any more... :(...attended Marina JHS (off-post). Was there when the "Hippies" prostested outside the gate and during the Zodiac times. :(

Thank you for your service!!!

Nice finds and wonderful story....
Annmarie

Like you, I really enjoyed my stay there. Was assigned there in early 1966. Was told when I got there that I would be there for the remainder of my time in the service. Wasn't there 3 months, and they started transfers (mostly to Nam). Luckily, I was transferred to Ft. Scott, which is located at the top of the main hill of the Presidio. Was there for another 6 months, when the unit I was assigned to, was sent as an intact unit to Nam. They rousted us out at midnight one night, drove us across the Golden Gate Bridge, to the Oakland Ship Yards and put us on a old WWII troop ship, and off we went. Took 20 days to cross the pond. Our unit, 82 men including officers, was just a small group on the ship. There were 5000 us on that ship. Longest damn boat ride I've ever been on, and try as she might, to this day, my wife can't get me to go on a cruise.

Thanks for the kind words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread