tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little trip up to Caribou Colorado yesterday to see some miners who are opening up and old portal and assess what all I can supply to get through some pretty ratty ground. In a short while I'm down were the temperature was in the 50 and no snow to much colder deep snow country. The sun was shining, but still a bit chilly up close to timberline. These guys wanna hustle through this ground for with a 10'x10' heading into the old portal as the ground is pretty frozen and stable. They said around July it gets pretty dangerous as the rock thaws. Hope they're not gonna be to shocked at what all it'll take in rock bolts, grout and steel supports to secure the weight in this cruddy looking ground.

Attachments

• 20200303_092431.jpg
    20200303_092431.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 20200303_095713.jpg
    20200303_095713.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200303_105518.jpg
    20200303_105518.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
  • 20200303_104451.jpg
    20200303_104451.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 61

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a little trip up to Caribou Colorado yesterday to see some miners who are opening up and old portal and assess what all I can supply to get through some pretty ratty ground. In a short while I'm down were the temperature was in the 50 and no snow to much colder deep snow country. The sun was shining, but still a bit chilly up close to timberline. These guys wanna hustle through this ground for with a 10'x10' heading into the old portal as the ground is pretty frozen and stable. They said around July it gets pretty dangerous as the rock thaws. Hope they're not gonna be to shocked at what all it'll take in rock bolts, grout and steel supports to secure the weight in this cruddy looking ground.
Yes. Very "iffy" to go tunneling into frozen stuff only to have it become crumbly after the thaw. DANGEROUS! Constant shoring and jacking required. Only done if the rewards are worth it. That is to say, the cost of safely working the ground may not be worth the effort. ╦╦C

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old of a mine is that looks a little crumbly at the portal, probably load some light rounds and clean it up then start putting in them sets to prop her up proper.Pump all the water out they will be back in business in no time.Excellent photo's I like to see this kind of activity going on.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice photos, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How old of a mine is that looks a little crumbly at the portal, probably load some light rounds and clean it up then start putting in them sets to prop her up proper.Pump all the water out they will be back in business in no time.Excellent photo's I like to see this kind of activity going on.
That's exactly how they're thinking. There's about 250 feet of this air stacked crumbly ground to get through before they get back into good competent rock again. I'm thinking this old drift is from the 1910s 20s? They need this larger haulage way in order to use the modern mobile rubber tire equipment, which I'm in the process of running down some used gear on now to offer.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Very "iffy" to go tunneling into frozen stuff only to have it become crumbly after the thaw. DANGEROUS! Constant shoring and jacking required. Only done if the rewards are worth it. That is to say, the cost of safely working the ground may not be worth the effort. ╦╦C
Indeed safety above all else. There's millions of dollars in mineral wealth in that mine and the idea of how to again get it out of there has been on going that I'm aware of since the late 1980s when I received a call at my office in Sacramento California, from a mine engineering firm out of San Francisco. The guy on the phone was inquiring on some all electric trolley drive rubber tire scoops, haul trucks and drilling equipment. That's kinda odd stuff I thought and I asked where on earth would all this be used. He told me up in Caribou. I said Caribou Colorado? as I was aware of the history of the region because I read a lot of books about mining back then out of the books I checked out of the library, as that was your sources of information back then. The fella said yeah that's the place and he was hired to do some design and cost analysis on what would all be involved to get that mine to pay out. I have a notion this mine will as its been for so many who dare to face it will as it's been to others push back with its dogged determination to not let the miner win. My prayers are with these guys that they do win against this mountain this time around. For more than a hundred years miners have been trying to make a go of it. Hopefully the modern age with the high tech equipment will get it done this time. I'll bet those old timers jaws would have drop on just how we dig our way through deep snow these days and they'd probably be thinking if only we had a loader like that back in our time we'd be knocking it out of the park all year long.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freakin cool that's what I dream about I would love that great post and pics. Tommy

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool pics! Breakup then green up then metal detecting then motorcycles....gotta love springtime in the Rockies!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions