Going slow vs swinging your coil slowly

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Everyone tells you you'll find more if you slow down - but what does that mean?

Try this experiment - Put a coin on the ground and swing your coil over it, listening to the beep. Slowly raise your coil until the beep stops. Now swing your coil faster - does the beep come back? Swing it very slowly. Is there a beep? This little exercise will tell you the best swing speed (the speed that gets you maximum depth) for your particular detector.

Some detectors require a faster swing for the best depth. Going slowly, and swinging your coil slowly, are not the same thing. When I say "go slower" I'm talking about tightening your overlap, not necessarily slowing down the speed of your swing.

The more you overlap, the more really deep targets you'll find. Remember, the standard coil has a range like a cone - the deeper the target, the more the hot spot of your coil must be directly over it to get a beep.

You'll get the shallow stuff with a loose overlap, but it takes a tight overlap to get the deep stuff. And usually, the deep stuff is the good stuff.

---Dan Hughes, http://treasuremanual.com

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dan - outstanding tip. Thank you! being I still consider myself a new-be (since I just started this year detecting.) info like what your talking about here is why I keep coming back to TNet.

Thanks again.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
It's true the field under the coil tapers, but the word cone is miss used here. The field tapers more like a lead bullet and the cone goes deeper than you think. I have picked up large targets at 2' with my XLT so that cone tapers way down there. Another thing about speed is the duration of the tone or signal you hear. It 's duration is adjestable on better detectors. If you set this tone to long and go fast, it will mask the next target. I set the tone duration short and go fast. I have tested this by going over the same area twice without removing targets. The first pass fast and the second pass slow. No new targets were found on the second pass. You jest got to know your detector. Frank

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info guys thanks :notworthy:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Dan, I usually guage the info given by the detector used to evaluate it. That's why I usually list which of my detectors I used to get info. Detectors bias the info so to speak. Which of your detectors did you use for your evaluation? You don't list any of your detectors. Frank

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Frankn said:
Dan, I usually guage the info given by the detector used to evaluate it. That's why I usually list which of my detectors I used to get info. Detectors bias the info so to speak. Which of your detectors did you use for your evaluation? You don't list any of your detectors. Frank

Hi Frank,

I tried to keep my note generic enough - without specifics - so that all detector owners could do the test and find the best parameters for their own machines.

But to answer your question, I'm pretty oldschool - I mainly use a Fisher CZ-5 and a Compass Coin Pro II, sometimes a Tesoro Toltec. I have a few other Tesoros and Fishers and a Whites and even a Compass X-100. I keep all of these around so when I give classes, everybody has a machine to play with.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything changes with a DD coil

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good suggestion Dan. Different detectors I'm sure have different responses to targets.
I've used White's machines since I started years back and found they all seem to work the same way for me.
I've used the same swing speed of about 3 seconds back and forth to locate targets and to identify one I use a quick short swing. Seems quicker speed helps ID the target better than the slower one but going that fast to locate one, I'd probably miss a lot.

Again, it boils down to learning your machine and what you suggest is a good exercise to do just that.

Al

littlebill31

Jul 2, 2011
Southern Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Yes, thanks for the tip!!! Being a "green as green can be" newbe, I need these tips. I just went out and tried it. Now I've gotten just that much better.
Thanks again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread