Going Through Todays Finds from Earlier Today and Came Across a Square Nail...

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...I think, and a Round Nail with the material it was driven through still on it.

I did some research and Square Nails were made up until sometime in the 1890s. I also found out that they still make them today for certain occasions.

What do y'all think, Old or New(er) like maybe the 1940s or 50s?

Square_and_Round_Nail_0001.JPG

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention that this was found at a location that was originally the "Old" part of town. This town "popped" up to handle the overflow from the Railroad town down the road a few miles. There is only one section along the main street that has any of the original buildings left and they are from the early 1800s. I won't be able to get the exact date until Monday or Tuesday.

Cheers.
-DH-

Last edited:
Upvote 1

Bible

Jan 6, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think ive ever found a modern one, sites probably old.

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think ive ever found a modern one, sites probably old.

I looked at it through a Loop and it looks to of been in the ground a VERY long time. But who am I to say as I do not know what grade of metal was used to make the nail.

I just noticed they have snow coming in on Monday so I will check with their Courthouse on Tuesday. Maybe I can get a better idea for a good "guesstimate".

Cheers.
-DH-

OP
OP
Diggin' History

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Machine-cut square nails came in with industrialization by the 1880s," he said. "After that, they were predominantly mass produced from sheets of metal."

However, like their predecessor, they were not square, he said, noting they were more of a rectangle.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions