Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Metalminer, & welcome to Treasure Net,

I'me not sure about the guide fees, but if you are lucky enough to find any large Meg teeth they are quite pricey, very
large ones are considered (museum Specimens).

HH, Fossis................

Fossilal

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
I go all the time and have found many meg teeth there. I have also done the trip with Mark Renz and it is well worth the money. If you have limited time and no equipment I dont really see where you have a choice but to go with him or someone. People have been hunting the Arcadia boat ramp area alot lately due to the low water level. You could always go talk to some of them for some advice. The fact is big Meg teeth are pretty rare around there. If you go to the Peace River campground store they have several nice teeth for sale that you can check out. If you scuba dive I would recommend Scuba West charters out of Venice, about a hour west of Arcadia. You have to make a reservation and most weekends are booked but a weekday might be open. In my opinion thats your best chance of finding bigger meg teeth. But you just never know, thats what makes it fun. Let me know if you have any other questions and I will give you my un-professional opinion. ;D

OP
OP
M

metalminer

Tenderfoot
Sep 1, 2006
Thanks for the information and the advice! I believe I will sign up for Mark's trip. I will let you know how it turns out.

lamplighter36

Jun 4, 2006
Cowtown, TX (DFW)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miner,

I agree with Al that Mark is worth the money...especially if you are new to florida and have never been to "the peace".

He is a really nice guy and can identify every rock that comes out of the river. I would also pic up a copy of his "fossiling in florida" book, and give it a scan before you go. it will get you a jump start on the types of things to look for. I'm sure he'll sign it, too- if you are into that sorta thing.

dont be afraid to take a mask/snorkel with you...if the water clarity isnt too bad you can pick up some nice things that way. Fossis is right, if you find a nice meg (in the 2 inch or greater range) it makes a great display item...but you know the peace is known to provide much greater things: old florida elephant teeth, old florida camel/bison/horse teeth, giant armidillo parts, giant sloth teeth...all kinds of fascinating stuff.

one last thing, if you step in coprilite- it doesnt smell. keep it. makes a great conversation piece.

have fun and ask a lot of questions.
-thomas

Fossilal

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
Heres three I have found recently. The biggest one is 4 inches and came from the Gulf off Venice with Scuba West. The next biggest is from the Peace River near Arcadia and is just shy of 3 3/4 inches and is almost perfect. The other one is pretty typical of the Peace River teeth and around two inches. I found it snorkeling. Figured you could use some fuel for the fire. ;D
sharkteeth1.jpg

Fossilal

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
Thanks and yes I did. They look great. I have lots of beat up teeth but I just leave them that way. I figure they have a good excuse for looking that way being millions of years old. I look pretty beat up at 40! ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread