Going to attempt detecting below Austin this April.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For years I went to Coudersport, staying at the Lindy Motel with another family, spotting deer, fishing, hiking, just driving around.
Somewhere back in the early 80's I got the detector bug and one of the first places that came to mind was Austin.
I went as far as to actually start building a scale model of the valley to get an idea of the terrain and where the good stuff would have wound up.
I've made a couple road trips exploring the area in the last couple years and now think I'm ready to actually give it a shot. This past winter I've done some research and focused on the area below the town and think I might have some idea where, over the years, some of the stuff has wound up. I'm considering investing in some miscellaneous equipment to assist my search.

Some of the things I've taken into account is access. Private property abounds all along the creek but state law prohibits access to the creek itself. Trust me, I owned property an approved trout stream ran through and as long as they were in the water, they were not trespassing!
Another point is the way the creek/valley is formed. Water "sloshing" along the gentil curves of the valley. It's not a wide valley so a wave of water 15'- to 20' expands and contracts with the width of the valley. Speed and debris carried along, 100 years of minor flooding...where does it end up? I think I've got it narrowed down.

Detecting is a fun hobby, a long shot at best. But I know any time to detect this area has to be early spring and hopefully the creek level will be down a bit come April. Otherwise, dense growth, rattle snakes, etc. will prohibit a good time.
I'm getting old and really want to try this and hope my health is good enough to allow me to do the necessary hiking it will take to accomplish my goals...even if I don't find anything.

I'm thinking about buying an underwater video camera for those deep pools of water to see if there is any remnants of the flood. There are also some specific areas that look promising but over the years may have been built up from sediment.

To me, this is detecting at a new level. I'm not a parks kind of guy and I like a challenge. And just a FYI...this is the 100 year anniversary of the flood.

Al

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
Good luck Al.

It sounds like you spent a lot of time researching this.

May the treasure hunting gods shine upon you.

Just a thought . Have you considered taking a magnet with you? Either tied to a string or attached to a walking stick so you can probe underwater? A small rare earth magnet is very powerful and you can get two out of an old hard drive.

Paul

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
Wish you the best. I have been around there many times. Never did any detecting. Do you know where the Chinese section of Austin was during the building of the dam and at the time when the dam broke? I have some good information regarding this.

OP
OP
deepskyal

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, haven't seen anything on the Chinese section. I did find an old newsreel on YouTube of the aftermath. Kinda grainy but what do you want for a 100 year old film? Just search Austin Flood and it comes up.

I've read dozens upon dozens of accounts and have hundreds of pics and some that aren't on the internet back when I was browsing the historical societies and libraries.
I have some doubt as to how much made it down the valley but I'm intrigued nonetheless. One of the pics I saw in a paper showed a huge pileup where the RR trestle used to be. A big dam! How much went down the valley before the onslaught of logs is of question as the battering ram led the way from the Goodyear plant. But bodies were found several miles downstream so likely more than just bodies disappeared a ways down.

The creek is fairly narrow through most of the valley and even where it merges with the river isn't very wide. It's the deep pools that intrigue me and there are also a couple interesting features along the creek that almost surely indicate a backup spot in the course of the water.

I'm counting on 100 years of erosion, periodic flooding and the weight of metals in determining where I search but also am trying to take into account those deep pools where rushing water overhead wouldn't disturb heavier items lodged amongst the rocks. That's why I'm thinking one of those underwater cameras. A magnet may not be such a bad idea either. Didn't think of that. That creek is darn cold, even late in summer. I have waders but experience fishing tells me I'll get cold...lol...and some of those pockets in the creek are deeper than you'd think. I remember as a teen wading in one almost to my neck. It was deeper but I was freezing...lol

The only thing that may deter me this year is selling my house. Getting some nibbles...and just dropped the price to unload it. My luck, sale will happen just when I want to go on vacation.

I doubt the weed situation will be any different in April from fall. Those high weeds just fall over and lean against each other. Still wouldn't be able to swing a detector in them.

Trying to stir some interest at work and with a couple friends. Don't particularly want to go this alone.
It has it's dangers. Like I said, that valley has rattlers and bears will be out of hibernation and HUNGRY!!! And bear cubs...mommas won't be happy with folks around. I have lung issues so that might slow me a bit.
The area I'm focusing on lacks houses and looks a bit precarious. But...treasure is where it lies and you have to go to it. If something happens...accidental slip on mossy rocks, break a leg...

But...sometimes I just lack common sense. :dontknow:
It's a one shot deal for me. Maybe I'll get lucky, maybe not. I'll have fun either way it works out.

Al

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread