Going to be my first beach detector purchase I hope. (good deal bad deal)

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
before u land in tampa, i would sure try and find out what most guys use

in the part of n.j. u plan on hunting.

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
the pictures in the ad doesn`t show which coil is on it... the old black 9" or the new 12" yellow coil ...and watch out for the orange gasket ...can`t tell if this one has it or not but the orange gaskets i hear leak.
good luck....$550 is a lot better than the $999 i paid. :tongue3:

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm leary of any "sight unseen" purchase. Any beach detector would be a good purchase as they definately pay for themselves. However, it's the black control box gasket that leaked. Whites tweaked that and the orange ones have proven more reliable. I've had mine now for almost a year. The earphone cushions seperated from the headphones but nothing a little glue and duck tape wouldn't fix. I can't pull myself to ship the thing back for repairs. I go out almost daily for an hour at a time and on my days off I'll spend as much as 5 hours in the water and I haven't had a problem yet. "knock on wood".

Also the dude selling the machine has poor grammar. Not a deal breaker but it would definately be a red flag in my business.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some of my input take it for what its worth. That has the old gasket in it which means they were prone to leak. Whites as everyone knows has top shelf customer service and in fact rarely charges for repairs even when they are out of warranty.

That appears to be the older model and is way to high for that detector. It will also have the floating coil on It that can be a pain. Don't be in a rush and you can get one of the new beachhunter300 like I have now for around that....

So in any case even if you get the price down you will still have to send it in to whites for the updates and the switch was also prone to early failure and they replaced those also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloridaBill said:
Just some of my input take it for what its worth. That has the old gasket in it which means they were prone to leak. Whites as everyone knows has top shelf customer service and in fact rarely charges for repairs even when they are out of warranty.

That appears to be the older model and is way to high for that detector. It will also have the floating coil on It that can be a pain. Don't be in a rush and you can get one of the new beachhunter300 like I have now for around that....

So in any case even if you get the price down you will still have to send it in to whites for the updates and the switch was also prone to early failure and they replaced those also.

Bill is giving you some excellent advice I would listen to him....Why is there no picture of the coil? I think that is a bigger red flag to me then the grammar. Who of us that has sold a used detector didn't include a picture of the coil, top and bottom....

I personally would not pay more then $400 for a used BHID with the 9" coil and it would have to be in mint condition.

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a beach hunter 300 with the new gaskets/seals/complete tune up...$550.00 shipped...if you wanted a 300 send me a pm!

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEACH-HUNTER said:
I have a beach hunter 300 with the new gaskets/seals/complete tune up...$550.00 shipped...if you wanted a 300 send me a pm!

There you go !!!!!!!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEACH-HUNTER said:

A lot better detector for the money....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
BEACH-HUNTER said:

A lot better detector for the money....

Definitely a better detector, but the coil will still float. Actually this is a blessing out of the water. Go for the newer BHID 300.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman and FloridaBill are two very talented and experienced water hunters, I highly recommend you heed their advice....Beach-Hunter can be trusted.... :icon_thumright:

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
One thing guy's. the Gasket issue...you want the red/orange gasket...NOT THE BLACK! I had mine changed by the Whites Service Center in VA. also all new seals,coil cable etc. It has seen plenty of water hunting to ensure it is sealed well. My detector has a anti-flip bracket and a 3 piece takedown straight shaft that will ajust if you are tall and need it longer. Max knows me and I have sold many items on other forums...I plan to post it here in the for sale forum today..so if you want it let me know so I do not post it to soon..I can take PAYPAL.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
But do you have a pic of the coil? :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread