Going to Europe! Anybody know anything about metal detecting WWII sites?

trichmond3256

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2011
Germantown, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I will be all over Europe (France, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Germany) in early June and was wondering what the scoop is on metal detecting WWII battle sites over there. Specifically, I was wondering about the area around Bastogne and Hurtgen Forest. Are there any members that live there and could guide me? What about any laws regarding detecting? Is it worth taking my machine with me?

As always, I appreciate any feedback.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I will be all over Europe (France, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Germany) in early June and was wondering what the scoop is on metal detecting WWII battle sites over there. Specifically, I was wondering about the area around Bastogne and Hurtgen Forest. Are there any members that live there and could guide me? What about any laws regarding detecting? Is it worth taking my machine with me?

As always, I appreciate any feedback.

There is detecting going on in all those countries. There are dealers, clubs, forums-in-those-languages, etc... There are people posting finds from WWII sites even on this forum. But if you were to look at the website outlining various European countries, you might be inclined to think "oh no, I can't detect" :

Law

Notice how nearly every single one of these, as dire sounding as it/they may be, continues to float words like "archaeological", "historical" and "antiquities". And with origination dates that pre-date detectors (at least for their origin). Also bear in mind that these laws, of course, deal with public land (obviously, they're "public" laws afterall). Hence private land would be outside of these statutes. Eg.: you can hunt farmers fields with permission, for example, as those are not bound by laws that govern public land. Or when you talk to hunters in those countries, they'll say those only apply to archaeological sites, etc... Or quite frankly, they're so far back in the woods, no one cares.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions