going to galvaston beach

Mar 15, 2011
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx-sunray dx-1 probe- d2 coil,,,,,whites beach hunter id 300,,,,,garrett ace 250 for the tag alongs
i will be down there monday and tuesday, 21st-22nd. im doing jamacia and stuart beach.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where ever the most people are... never been there but.! Good Luck.

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stuart Beach and down south jetty (giant sand bar) out to park ....
NOTE: after Hurricane Ike there was a massive sand replenishment effort --- everything will be near the surface.
Look out along seawall blvd in Galveston -- parking meters have been installed -- you have to pay now.
If time permits, check out Freeport (Surfside beach mainly) and Galveston side of San Luis Pass (Toll Bridge)

Tourist trap area is the Strand over on opposite side of island (Harborside/Mechanic/PostOffice streets)-- see the Elissa (Tall Ship) and Bishops Palace for sure. Jean Lafitte and 1900 storm IMAX movies also. check out galveston.com websites. there are also webcams at local tourist and hangout bar locations on there.
Take plenty of money ...

Mar 15, 2011
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx-sunray dx-1 probe- d2 coil,,,,,whites beach hunter id 300,,,,,garrett ace 250 for the tag alongs
thanks for the info, this will be my first time down, this info will really help. :icon_thumleft:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way ... it is Galveston, named after Galvez

Before the 1900 storm era, there were bunches of small coastal towns with docks. Velasco, Indianola, these were wiped out by recurring hurricanes and are old abandoned sites now. Also Galveston Island is a creation out of three older sandbar sections 1800 era. maps. Most of that came out of raising the island 5 feet after the 1900 storm, and building the Seawall.

There are bunches of shipwrecks along the coast (detailed in some of the books) and things do wash up into the tide line. Another famous story, three Spanish Gallions aground at Deer Island Area (Protected Pelican Habitat on Island - They will arrest you) over to railroad bridge (causeway). Cannon areas have been identified in the past, but story goes most everything was cleaned out. Could be some serious coin left there; worth looking into.

Kemah, old Indian shell reef (Means Where The Wind Blows); there have been some coins dug up in that area. the whole area has been changed up a couple of times.... check old maps, and newer structures, railroad bridge, Hwy overpass, Flood control levee and pump station, rerouting water channels out of Clear Lake (which is basically a 3 foot deep mud pond).
Old crew members of Lafitte's crew were Taylor (Taylor Lake, Clear Lake area), Campbell (Campbell Bayou Texas City), Kipp (Kipp st Kemah and Watergate Marina area), Middle Brook Settlement (Subdivision on Bay Area Blvd. over to oil company property, north of Armand Bayou Park)

Jean Lafitte's old pirate hangout is over in strand area but fenced off now. There are rumors of 70 buried treasure chests all over the place. Seems American warship pulled up on doorstep and told Lafitte, GET OUT OF TOWN, OR WE OPEN FIRE. He left town for Mexico coast and long strange tale begins there; check it out. Couple treasure chests have been found, one in 1950's when someone was digging around where they built fire station out on west end. Get books: Texas Treasure Tales, and Treasures of Galveston Bay.

Rebuilding now, after the storm, but take ferry over to Bolivar and hunt Crystal Beach area (Gulf of Mexico Side) (nothing beyond that area -- Hurricane Ike put 20 foot wall of water over that area -- almost everything destroyed for 15 miles up to town of High Island.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there twice..Hit ALL the beaches..walked away with almost $5.00 in clad and one silver ring. Lots and Lots of junk ..people don' t seem to wear their stuff onto the beach..there used to be a sign up by the showers that said something to the effect of "Remove all valuables before entering the beach area". I think they took it to heart.

Good luck though...let us know if you have any luck.

P.S. Might be good this week though with Spring Break !!! Far end of the island is where all the party kids go for the break !!!! Lots of happenings there. Definitely check the website first.

Rockyredbaron

HH to all

OP
OP
M

mretrackr

Sep 17, 2010
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to it. as i havnt done any beach hunting since i left florida and moved to waco tx. (new job...) iwill get my xcal out and dust her off and charge up..... ;D hopeing for a low tide cycle......

thanks again!!

HH
mikeB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread