Going to look for a real confirmed cache of Morgan Dollars!!!``

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Upvote 0

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
best of luck.. although a Prizm IV isnt exactly the best machine to use for the job....... I doubt very seriously you can get anyplace close to the depth needed unless the cache is extremely shallow or maybe in a milkcan

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found 117 Silver dollars (mostly Morgans), along with a bunch of halves and quarters and dimes a few years back. Here is a photo:

Silver%20Dollar%20Cache.jpg

OP
OP
tommyboy72

tommyboy72

Aug 7, 2008
Benton,IL.62812
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites Prizm IV & Garrett Pro-Pointer
Hi, just got back from searching, did not find the cache in the yard areas, it must be inside the house. keep in mind this is no joke, I was contacted and shown the other two mason jars stuffed with morgans and there were also five gold double eagles. the two mason jars were found just inside the house and in the basement hidden in a pile of sand. the basement has a concrete floor and is completely packed with stuff!!! the person who contacted me was sure the remainder(about 300-500 morgans maybe some more gold coins,) was buried by here late father who died this year and also had alzheimers. they said he started to suffer from dimentia? (spelling?) and they caught him burying stuff in the yard and so they assumed the coins were in the yard. I knew the coins would not be deep because how deep can an 80-something man in bad health dig?
anyway, they are getting the basement and the rest of the house cleaned out to the bare walls and then we are going to search big time!!! I don't post alot on here, I motly just love to read about everyone else's finds but I just had to post something about this and hopefully get some pointers from you more experienced hunters. I even had my fiance with me with here digital camera with video just in case I found it.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep in mind, you may not need a metal detector to find it. The cache in the picture above was found in the basement of a relative who had passed away. It was a metal box that was hidden behind tools and junk. See if there are any nooks beneath the stairs where something might be tucked away. Another spot is above duct work. Also check above ceiling tiles.

Good luck!
Neil

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Good Luck , Something like that would be a blast to search for and even Better to Find. I don't know what type of house it is but if it has an attic check around the edges of the floor inbetween the joists. Twice I had decent finds like that. HH and Good Luck , BB

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep on looking!!! My Stepfather's dad passed away about 4 years ago and when the family was emptying out the house they found his filling cabinet. My Stepfather was the executor of his estate so he looked through all of the old papers in it. Well he found 3 papers with safe combinations written on them and the location of the safes inside of the house. He went and found all 3 safes and collected the contents. None of his children knew that he even had a single safe but damned if he didn't have 3. One was in the basement under the stair landing covered by a plywood paneling door, another one in attic by the chimney and the last one out in the garage behind a his work bench. They weren't big safes, they were all "wall safes" big enough to fit in between wall studs but they are about 2 feet long.

I wasn't there to see them being found and I have no idea what was inside of them but later my stepdad asked if I wanted a "wall safe". I said yea and I now keep my collections inside of it. They are hefty in weight and have holes to bolt them down and it has a huge dial that goes all the way to 100 and has 8 or 10 bolts that lock the door shut. It is very nice but its not water proof but they probably cost a pretty penny back in the day (I'm thinking 40's or 50's).

I guess what I'm saying is to check every where possible, the basement, garage, under the stairs, every where. If there is a garden in the back yard maybe probe around as the dirt is softer than the compacted dirt in the lawn and even an elderly sickly man can dig deep (deeper than your metal detector can see) in garden dirt. Also check around and in between old rose bushes as they can be very old and can be used as a marker for remembering where he hid things. Or maybe by an old bird bath, or old yard statues, ect.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread