2 1964 Kennedy's

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444138139.783933.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444138152.398924.jpg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Strictly eyeballing, I would pay that for those. I consider silver dollars to be worth a minimum of $20 each, I believe 64s are 90%, so $10 a piece, sure.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
When I buy old coins, I base the price simply on the silver unless the coin has significant numismatic value (My memory does not click on any of those dates as being rare or premium). You COULD pay $20 a piece in a coin store or at a coin show for Silver Dollars, but you won't get more than $10 or $12 for them from the dealer. The SILVER of the Dollars is $12.75. The Silver in the Half's are $5.82. A dealer would offer $50 to $60. I personally would not pay more than $60 unless one of those dates are particularly collectible. $60 is a fair price. If you REALLY wanted them, could offer $70 or $75. You could tell them to go to a dealer and get an offer. You could say you are probably willing to pay $10 more than any dealer.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Dejapooh about the halves, but dollars usually sell for a fair bit above silver value, even if common and circulated. Look at the Apmex buy prices, for example.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I buy old coins, I base the price simply on the silver unless the coin has significant numismatic value (My memory does not click on any of those dates as being rare or premium). You COULD pay $20 a piece in a coin store or at a coin show for Silver Dollars, but you won't get more than $10 or $12 for them from the dealer. The SILVER of the Dollars is $12.75. The Silver in the Half's are $5.82. A dealer would offer $50 to $60. I personally would not pay more than $60 unless one of those dates are particularly collectible. $60 is a fair price. If you REALLY wanted them, could offer $70 or $75. You could tell them to go to a dealer and get an offer. You could say you are probably willing to pay $10 more than any dealer.

Have you tried to buy Morgans lately? If you are looking to buy for $12-13 each, don't hold your breath. In my area, pawn shops will pay $15 each, coin shops $18. And you wont be able to purchase a decent Morgan under $22. Junk silver is selling for 13-15x face value, dealers paying 10-11x face value. As CC said, Apmex will buy a cull Morgan for $18! As a seller I'd be looking to pay around $80-85. As a collector $100 is an ok deal. $90 would be better - dont pay retail if you aren't shopping retail.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you tried to buy Morgans lately? If you are looking to buy for $12-13 each, don't hold your breath. In my area, pawn shops will pay $15 each, coin shops $18. And you wont be able to purchase a decent Morgan under $22. Junk silver is selling for 13-15x face value, dealers paying 10-11x face value. As CC said, Apmex will buy a cull Morgan for $18! As a seller I'd be looking to pay around $80-85. As a collector $100 is an ok deal. $90 would be better - dont pay retail if you aren't shopping retail.

Agreed. Even at the local coin club, the club auction has all sorts of Morgans for bid. It is very rare to snag one for under $20. I am seeing common UNC's go for between $35-45 easy.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

Good information. If pawn shops will pay $15 and coin shops will pay $18, I'll pay $16.50 if I want it for my collection (which I don't). If I am at a garage sale, I am buying silver. I buy silver for the silver value. If they want more, I suggest to them where they can get more. If they want to take the trip to try to find that extra $3 or $4, good for them.

OP
OP
G

gwakeley

Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for the replays everyone! I talked her down to 85 and she's throwing In two silver certs horrible condition tho I'll probably just take them to the bank and exchange them for nice bills. So technically I got them for $83 I'm happy with that. First Morgans I'm adding to my small collection. The only other silver dollar I have is a peace dollar I got at a bank for free.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our local crook/coin shop pays eight dollars for silver Morgan's. I got kicked out one time! Oops! I know they have their overhead, employees, health insurance, and the lady willingly sold them for $8 each, 85 was a good deal I'd take them! Enjoy building that stack it is addicting!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

THIS IS THE WAY I THINK.
Right On....Dejapooh

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gwakley was looking to BUY the coins. That's what we are talking about. If you want to sell them, Lets talk. If you want to buy them, I don't have any for sale at any price. Well, not any price you would pay.

Sure, but "I buy silver for the silver value."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread