Going to try Genseng hunting!

Z

ZumbroKid

R

rusty nails

in ohio - the laws for ginseng hunting are in the hunting regulations book - seasons and all - you have to have the license to pick it here - sounds like fun that stuff is worth some big bucks ! $$$
good luck zumbro - LEFTY

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried it a few years back or maybe like 5 to 7 but i have a great book that was written buy a guy that lives in Lancaster PA not to far from me and he hunts and i think he grows it to but the wild is what really brings in the premium and to grow it is very hard with using elaborate shading and stuff and not to metion its like 5 to 7 years be for you can harvest it if my memory serves me right.
i don't know where your going to hunt it but here in PA last i checked 5to7 years ago you could harvest it wild but you had to plant the seeds right there where you got the plant (they are like little red Berry's that are in the middle on a little shoot looking thing also your friend would know this if he hunts it but I'm just throwing it in here for others reading the post that might want to try this is the time of year to hunt it fall or going into fall cause the leaves turn a bright golden color and you can spot them in all of the ground vegetation. Plus they have a nother growing season on the root making it bigger and worth more. but it is so hard to find them when there golden/yellow it is definitely not worth even trying when the leaves are green.

HH and let us know how you made out!
Uber

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

The genseng hunt update. The guy at work after making plans for the weekend to hunt this stuff. Had invited others to come with in my car without asking me. If he had asked i would of said ok. But due to the nature of his taking liberties with my vechicle i decide not to go. He got mad at that and was calling me all sorts of names behind my back at work. Then for the next two days he was nice to my face, but i told a co-worker watch he is buttering me up for the weekend. On Friday second shift he gave me a list of good things to have along. I looked at the list and said." I'll try to round these items up for the following weekend." I got such a cold, i would not be up to it this weekend. At that news he blew up once more at me in front of everybody. I told him good luck on his hunt. You see without me he has no ride to get there. Could you imagine the greed monster kicking in if we had found a large patch? If anyone needs a hunting buddy this guy is availible. P.S. this same fellow is the one that sold me the 2001 silver buillion coin i posted. I have my permit yet and might do this on my own someday.

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005
Long term, sounds like more trouble than he's worth. But, for a single outing, the trouble might be considered "tuition" for an education. If he knows what he's doing, you can learn what to look for, and where to look. Just set clear terms before you go, and be prepared to have excuses not to go (with him) on future outings.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
fellow i grew up with used to sneak around the pisgah national forest in n.c. and dig ginseng roots...he would get 600.00 an ounce as long as they were mature enough , 8-10 yrs old........gldhntr

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
600.00 an ounce? Really, Jeez when I planted some in the 70's it was 50.00 an ounce, I'll have to check the woods to see if they spread.

miester

May 21, 2005
Wi
Well now it makes sense, in the Wausau, Wi. area it's grown commercialy on a very large scale. The 600. an oz. is the reason I see many new Gingseng farms sprouting up there.

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

Your climate has to be like Manchuria, ( northern china). You can look online for the leaves and the roots on ebay.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
yes it grows wild but only in certain climate/conditions.....picture of the plant/roots in most encyclopedias..............gldhntr

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a awesome book on ginseng, hunting, growing, history, maps, and all kinds of very good info...
and some good pics to..

its called:
GINSENG
How to find, Grow, and Use America's Forest Gold
by Kim Derek Pritts

It is published by: STACKPOLE BOOKS... the ISBN is: 0-8117-2477-8 (pb)

This book is the first thing I'd recommend to get be for even trying to hunt for this stuff... and I'd take it along to reference wile in the wood... I bought it a few years ago but the price says $16.95 U.S.

And I ask any one who hunts and dose find it to PLEASE PLANT THE SEEDS RIGHT WERE YOU FOUND IT!
Wild ginseng was almost driven to extintion threw the 1800's into the early 1900's and in Canada it is almost nonexistent and just about extinked by 1795!
Because of this if were you live if it is leagal to harvest the wild ginseng there is probably a law that states you have to plant the seeds right then and there were you dug the root.
There are people who became very rich off of finding wild ginseng and selling it to China.

HH and good luck!
Umber

OP
OP
Z

ZumbroKid

I never did get out to hunt the stuff, I got the premit but there was no mention of replanting the seeds or any booklet given with the permit. It might be a local or certain state ordiance to replant the seeds. But then again it grows wild. I can ask the yahoo at work that hunts it. But knowing him he does not replant seeds. If he detected he would leave his holes. He is that kind of fellow. ;)

uberlapis

Aug 8, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zumbro,
The replanting of the seeds is state law here in PA.
but even if its not law were you or anyone lives i was just stating to please replant them.
they are of no or hardly any value to you. If you are going to try and grow them buy seeds leave the wild ones wild. if your reading this (anyone out there), you obviously have internet access and you can goggle "ginseng seeds" or PM me i can give you sources of seeds and/or Young roots (rootlet) to plant.

this is one of the hardest things to grow
and the very minimum age you could sell is 7 years but 8-10 is better
and another thing in this book is that cultivated ginseng is only worth $20-$40 a pound so not near a valuable as wild.

So there you go keeping them even if legal is pointless, you only hurt yourself from future hunts/$$$ and the environment.

HH, replant, and most of all good luck!
Uber

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread