Going to Turkey Up date

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to get information from the horses mouth but it has been difficult.
I understand that English is challenging so the responses have been limited in scope. Below is a link to their website. When you get there click on the BRITISH flag to translate into English. Personally I don't know how helpful this is but at least you have a place to send further inquiries.

GOOD LUCK

FW: METAL DETECTOR IMPORT / Regarding laws in Turkey
Hide Details

From Losangeles Ticaret Ataşeliği

Dear Sir:
Following link gives the legal details about your inquiry.

Define arama izni alabilmek için nas?l müracaat edilir ? Ayr?nt?lar?n? Detayl? Olarak Sitemizden Ö?renebilmek ?çin Sitemize Giri? Yap?n?z..Detayl? bilgiler müracaat edilecek yerler ve yönetmelikler sitemizde mevcuttur..arama al?n?r..

Turkish Consulate General in Los Angeles
Office of Commercial Attache'
6380 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1710
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel : 323 852 1894
Fax : 323 825 1896
www.economy.gov.tr<http://www.economy.gov.tr/>
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 16:38
To: Losangeles Ticaret Ataşeliği

Subject: METAL DETECTOR IMPORT / Regarding laws in Turkey

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I tried to get information from the horses mouth but it has been difficult.
I understand that English is challenging so the responses have been limited in scope. Below is a link to their website. When you get there click on the BRITISH flag to translate into English. Personally I don't know how helpful this is but at least you have a place to send further inquiries.

GOOD LUCK

FW: METAL DETECTOR IMPORT / Regarding laws in Turkey
Hide Details

From Losangeles Ticaret Ataşeliği

Dear Sir:
Following link gives the legal details about your inquiry.

Define arama izni alabilmek için nas?l müracaat edilir ? Ayr?nt?lar?n? Detayl? Olarak Sitemizden Ö?renebilmek ?çin Sitemize Giri? Yap?n?z..Detayl? bilgiler müracaat edilecek yerler ve yönetmelikler sitemizde mevcuttur..arama al?n?r..

Turkish Consulate General in Los Angeles
Office of Commercial Attache'
6380 Wilshire Blvd. Suite 1710
Los Angeles, CA 90048
Tel : 323 852 1894
Fax : 323 825 1896
www.economy.gov.tr<http://www.economy.gov.tr/>
[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 16:38
To: Losangeles Ticaret Ataşeliği

Subject: METAL DETECTOR IMPORT / Regarding laws in Turkey

I'm presuming this was the answer you got from your inquiry to the consulate about "can I metal detect in Turkey", right? Ok, a few observations:

a) It appears they've given you some sort of existing ACTUAL rules on the subject, even to the point of being specific (eg.: people looking for goodies, etc...). As opposed to something general that someone decides applies to your question, but that never actually says "no metal detectors" etc... That is good. Because they've pointed you in the direction of an actual existing resource, rather than just saying "no" and failing to back themselves up with any sort of citation, laws, resources, etc....

b) The translation on the page renders it nearly useless :( Because as we all know, minor nuances will/can make a big difference.

So here's what I'll do: Tomorrow I'm going to be at the Monterey Defense Language Institute. I man a historical museum there. I'll make some calls, and see if I can get a Turkish speaking interprettor to do a better job at this. They teach over 40 languages there, so I'm guessing that Turkish might be one of them. I'll chime back in here, and let you know how that goes.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Also: When I talk to the person who I hope to translate, I will also ask them about the "cultural" aspect of the notion of detecting there. Because they not only teach languages to the military at this school, but as part of the language training, the students are totally immersed in the cultural things. Ie.: taboos, traditions, blah blah blah. So this will be interesting to see what they have to say about the mental concept of someone showing up with a western-style hobby, and just waltzing along the beach, or cow pastures, etc.... Will let the forum know their comment on that.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm presuming this was the answer you got from your inquiry to the consulate about "can I metal detect in Turkey", right? Ok, a few observations:

a) It appears they've given you some sort of existing ACTUAL rules on the subject, even to the point of being specific (eg.: people looking for goodies, etc...). As opposed to something general that someone decides applies to your question, but that never actually says "no metal detectors" etc... That is good. Because they've pointed you in the direction of an actual existing resource, rather than just saying "no" and failing to back themselves up with any sort of citation, laws, resources, etc....

b) The translation on the page renders it nearly useless :( Because as we all know, minor nuances will/can make a big difference.

So here's what I'll do: Tomorrow I'm going to be at the Monterey Defense Language Institute. I man a historical museum there. I'll make some calls, and see if I can get a Turkish speaking interprettor to do a better job at this. They teach over 40 languages there, so I'm guessing that Turkish might be one of them. I'll chime back in here, and let you know how that goes.

I just had to jump in and say your passion for metal detecting /treasure hunting rights is truly inspiring I'm glad your on our side thanks Tom

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TURKEY The 1973 Antiquities Act carries very extensive lists of movable and immovable objects protected including places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilisations (Article 1). All objects are the property of the State (Article 3 ) and reporting is obligatory (Article 4) but a reward system exists (Article 47).
There is a specific provision against treasure hunting, illicit excavation and dealing in antiquities (Article 51 - 52). Unauthorised treasure hunting carries a penalty of 2 - 5 years imprisonment and fines of =A35,000 to =A310,000 (Article 47).

SS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TURKEY The 1973 Antiquities Act carries very extensive lists of movable and immovable objects protected including places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilisations (Article 1). All objects are the property of the State (Article 3 ) and reporting is obligatory (Article 4) but a reward system exists (Article 47).
There is a specific provision against treasure hunting, illicit excavation and dealing in antiquities (Article 51 - 52). Unauthorised treasure hunting carries a penalty of 2 - 5 years imprisonment and fines of =A35,000 to =A310,000 (Article 47).

SS

SS, a few observations: It is interesting that this quote you have here, specifies: "places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilzations" You almost have to ask yourself: why specify such places, if the edict was "border to border" in the whole country? And sure, by all means, let's protect such sensitive spots (no different than ARPA in the USA, etc...). I guess to see an expanded list of what is meant by that opening sentence, a person would have to see the "extensive lists" they mention there, eh?

And has anyone else caught the irony of the part about how you must report the finding of something to the state, if it falls within a criteria of "treasure" or "antiquity", on whatever land they're referring to. Heck, and they even "give you a reward" eh? (perhaps not unlike the UK system where you get compensated by the museum, if they want your item). HOWEVER, in the very next breath, it goes on to say there is a "provision against treasure hunting." Huh? Then why "reward" anyone? They can just take it away from you (shame on you for finding it, or even beginning to have thought you could keep it!). So if there are provisions against treasure hunting, why rehearse that things you find treasure hunting belong to the state, so they'll reward you for bringing in a goodie? Just seems rather ironic, eh?

And notice that the entire tone of this is "antiquities" and "treasures". Ok, fine. But what about modern coins and jewelry on the beach? And another point: does this all apply to public land? It's a public law afterall. Thus perhaps farmer's/private land is outside this scope. And using England as an example: so TOO does everything beneath the ground "belong to the state". Yet, .... detecting is common-place there. Huh? How can that be??

I have forwarded dirt-fisher's link to a fellow here connected with the D.L.I. (Defense Language Institute). He is going to hook me up with someone with Turkish skills (ie.: pass along my email) on Monday, when he gets back in front of his other computer. As soon as I get a better translation, and his take on the "cultural" aspects of such a hobby, I'll report back to this thread.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SS, a few observations: It is interesting that this quote you have here, specifies: "places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilzations" You almost have to ask yourself: why specify such places, if the edict was "border to border" in the whole country? And sure, by all means, let's protect such sensitive spots (no different than ARPA in the USA, etc...). I guess to see an expanded list of what is meant by that opening sentence, a person would have to see the "extensive lists" they mention there, eh?

And has anyone else caught the irony of the part about how you must report the finding of something to the state, if it falls within a criteria of "treasure" or "antiquity", on whatever land they're referring to. Heck, and they even "give you a reward" eh? (perhaps not unlike the UK system where you get compensated by the museum, if they want your item). HOWEVER, in the very next breath, it goes on to say there is a "provision against treasure hunting." Huh? Then why "reward" anyone? They can just take it away from you (shame on you for finding it, or even beginning to have thought you could keep it!). So if there are provisions against treasure hunting, why rehearse that things you find treasure hunting belong to the state, so they'll reward you for bringing in a goodie? Just seems rather ironic, eh?

And notice that the entire tone of this is "antiquities" and "treasures". Ok, fine. But what about modern coins and jewelry on the beach? And another point: does this all apply to public land? It's a public law afterall. Thus perhaps farmer's/private land is outside this scope. And using England as an example: so TOO does everything beneath the ground "belong to the state". Yet, .... detecting is common-place there. Huh? How can that be??

I have forwarded dirt-fisher's link to a fellow here connected with the D.L.I. (Defense Language Institute). He is going to hook me up with someone with Turkish skills (ie.: pass along my email) on Monday, when he gets back in front of his other computer. As soon as I get a better translation, and his take on the "cultural" aspects of such a hobby, I'll report back to this thread.
Tom...it basically covers just about any were in Turkey, after all these "places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilzations" could be any were, including the beach. If I were the poster I would be staying away from detecting, they could throw this at you just about any were.

SS

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... after all these "places of ancient settlement or places where there are vestiges of ancient civilzations" could be any were, including the beach......

I seem to recall that this was the same logic that archie from Kentucky had, to say that md'rs couldn't detect on *any* public land in Kentucky (no matter whether city, county, state, etc...). But when you would try to point out to them that the verbage specifically said "...archaeological sites", they too said the same thing you're saying (essentially): that the entire state WAS an "archaeological site". Why? Because, .... afterall ... you never know where something archaeological *might* be found. So the mere fact someone *might* someday (albeit not at this exact time) find an indian bone or something, meant, to this archie (in their interpretation of the law), that therefore, the whole state was covered. Not just currently deemed/declared archaeological sites.

Still though, while it's true there's certainly much more history there in Turkey, and certainly true that someone there could *say* the entire country (border to border) is "all" an archaeological site.... ok fine. But then if that's the case, then again I ask you: why did they bother making a distinction in this cut & paste you put here? Why didn't they just say "the entire country"? The fact that they didn't , and do make a distinction, tells me that there is different type sites.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to recall that this was the same logic that archie from Kentucky had, to say that md'rs couldn't detect on *any* public land in Kentucky (no matter whether city, county, state, etc...). But when you would try to point out to them that the verbage specifically said "...archaeological sites", they too said the same thing you're saying (essentially): that the entire state WAS an "archaeological site". Why? Because, .... afterall ... you never know where something archaeological *might* be found. So the mere fact someone *might* someday (albeit not at this exact time) find an indian bone or something, meant, to this archie (in their interpretation of the law), that therefore, the whole state was covered. Not just currently deemed/declared archaeological sites.

Still though, while it's true there's certainly much more history there in Turkey, and certainly true that someone there could *say* the entire country (border to border) is "all" an archaeological site.... ok fine. But then if that's the case, then again I ask you: why did they bother making a distinction in this cut & paste you put here? Why didn't they just say "the entire country"? The fact that they didn't , and do make a distinction, tells me that there is different type sites.
I agree with some of the points you raise Tom, but you might have a hard time explaining those to officials, time you will probably spend behind bars. It seems that the laws of detecting in these countries are not very clear at all, and a written piece of paper (in that countries language) would be the only way I would detect.

I was once told by a policeman that going through a persons rubbish was illegal, even though this rubbish was not on his property. This happened when I was detecting a motorway extension to the A1, I was detecting the spoil they had removed from the fields, the land had been bought up by the government, but the original landowner called the police in complaining, I argued that it was just waist spoil, and that's when he told me about the law.

Here is the site I copied the link from, it also gives laws on other countries.. http://www.ncmd.co.uk/law.html

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally, I have received word from the Consulate in Los Angeles; It reads as follows
with regards to the law regulating Metal Detecting in Turkey. HOWEVER, keep in mind
that not all local policing in Turkey may be on the same page. Ignorance runs rampant
everywhere. Some police are just as corrup as they are anywhere else and assume you do not
know the law, arrest you, and PRESTO they have a brand new metal detector. BEWARE!

From

Losangeles Ticaret Ataşeliği

To

Dear Sir:

We have checked the permission requirement for searching treasures and contacted in Turkish Custom Consul in Washington D.C. in this matter.

In Turkey, searching treasury is legal but those who want to search, need to apply to government office or nearest museum administration to receive the permission. In this case, administration issue a certificate and provide an witness officer accompanying with you during the search of specified area.

For metal detector for touristic purposes, entering to Turkey, Custom Consul in Washington D.C responded as ; This particular item is not listed as special item that the passenger can bring in limited quantity which means that it is considered as personal item. Any item for personal use up to 430 Euro value, can be entered with passenger and doesn't require additional custom charge. Since the product is special and custom officer may keep it, in this case, your detector is kept at the custom's warehouse, then you can receive back when you leave the Turkey.

If you need more assistance you can contact to Custom Consul in Washington directly [email protected]

Kindly Regards,

Murat GOREN

Commercial Attache of Los Angeles

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread