Going to Virginia beach for vacation

skullhunter.va

Jun 22, 2007
norfolk.va
Detector(s) used
xlt
The oceanfront is open game.the only place you might not be able to detec is sea shore state park on shore drive.you might also want to try your luck at sandbridge-n-some places along the outer-banks which is only a little over an hour drive from va,beach.. 8)

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
skullhunter.va said:
The oceanfront is open game.the only place you might not be able to detec is sea shore state park on shore drive.you might also want to try your luck at sandbridge-n-some places along the outer-banks which is only a little over an hour drive from va,beach.. 8)

I find the Seashore State Park a tricky one....hubby and I drove down there (just a hop, skip and jump from the house) and I asked the Rangers if we could metal detect....there was no delay in their NO.

Well, have run across several of the Rangers as they come into my store to shop. This is the lastest I was told by one Ranger and a similiar answer from a previous one:

You can not metal detect, not even the beach during on season (in other words, when the cities monies are camping...its a no-no)...however, in the winter months (off season) ... you may metal detect the beach. I asked about the campsite areas and she said she knew of folks that did (off season)....but you usually don't get bothered if you do...but I think I'm going to try the beach first and then test my luck with the campsites...so the beach is a YES on OFF CITY MONEY SEASON!!

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

PS: I would, however, love to metal detect on the other side, where the hiking trails are....I bet we could find lots of awesome items!!!! And where those old summer cottages use to be...yeah baby!!!

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Annmarie,

Thanks for the info on the park. I have gone past it a zillion times, wondering ...but figuring that the answer would be "no". If you get a chance, would you mind updating us on your first trip to the park beach? I may head down that way to hit the beach-beach after the New Year, and would love to try the park beach.

Thanks again,
Mel

borninok

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
borninok said:
Annmarie,

Thanks for the info on the park. I have gone past it a zillion times, wondering ...but figuring that the answer would be "no". If you get a chance, would you mind updating us on your first trip to the park beach? I may head down that way to hit the beach-beach after the New Year, and would love to try the park beach.

Thanks again,
Mel

borninok

Be very happy to let you know of our adventure....I won't be able to hit it this week, due to my work schedule...if I'm off on Sunday...we may try then...but I'll keep you posted :)...however, I may be able to swing a few hours on Thursday morning...I'll see!

dmc161

Dec 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT
We are heading to VA Beach next weekend to spend Christmas with my daughter. To make sure I understand correctly, the beaches are ok to metal detect, specifically the boardwalk/resort area since that's where we'll probably head to since my daughter lives close to that area? What about the Fort Story beach area, is that considered a historic site and off limits for metal detecting or can we detect the beach area there?

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
dmc161 said:
We are heading to VA Beach next weekend to spend Christmas with my daughter.  To make sure I understand correctly, the beaches are ok to metal detect, specifically the boardwalk/resort area since that's where we'll probably head to since my daughter lives close to that area?   What about the Fort Story beach area, is that considered a historic site and off limits for metal detecting or can we detect the beach area there?

The Oceanfront and Croatan Beach (over Rudee Indee Inlet Bridge off of Gen Booth Blvd) are ok to detect. At Croatan, there is a Municpal Parking area....I'm not sure about off season, but on season, if you show a VA Drivers License with a VA Beach address...parking is $1.00...but before 10 am..it's free. Can't remember at the oceanfront if they charge during off season at the municipal parking areas...but same rule applies...Va Drivers Lic...Va Beach addy...$1.00...Hint on that part...they won't tell you that at the oceanfront parking areas...make sure you mention..."It's one dollar because I have a local addresss"...the Croatan Parking attendants tell you...the oceanfront ones DON'T!!!

However, Fort Story, including the civilian (ocean side) and military (bay side) beaches are off limits to detect. I have called over there, as I wanted to do the military beach...but due to all the ammo buried around the base, that is why we can not....at the time of my call...the "Archies" where doing digs at the old lighthouse and she (the lady I spoke with) said they were running into problems with finding ammo...how true that is...I don't know..I didn't see it...

So...Fort Story is a no-no anywhere on post.

Now, the Rangers that come in my store have told me that you CAN detect at the Seashore State Park (BEACH ONLY during off season)....I was hoping to get there this weekend...but does not look like I will be able too...Seashore State Park beach is on the Bay side.

You can metal detect along Chick's Beach (formerly called Chesapeake Beach) and Ocean View Beaches (be careful there, watch your back...I've never had problems there myself, but I have lived there...so just be watchful of your surroundings).

All city parks in Va Beach and Chesapeake are detectable...I have spoken to the individuals in charge. I have detected Red Wing Park...found some interesting iron pieces, poss an old pipe...that land use to be a Poor Farm. I am studying old maps to determine the actual location of the buildings on the current land layout. The old POOR FARM road is still in use today (part of it anyways).

Good luck and I hope you find lots of treasures! Have a wonderful vacation with your family! And let us know of any finds!!

Merry Christmas,
Annmarie

dmc161

Dec 8, 2007
Fremont, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks for the great info Annmarie! We'll probably just stick to the boardwalk/resort area for the most part because we will actually be staying at one of the hotels there for a couple days during our visit. My daughter mentioned being able to take us out to the beach where my son-in-law's command is (Dam Neck) so maybe we'll give that a try one of the days we're actually staying at her house. He's currently over in Iraq but she can get on base and said she's seen people out there metal detecting before. She actually used to live over in Chicks Beach, about 1 block from the beach, so maybe we'll take a run over there as well if time/weather permit.

Thanks again for all the great information!

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Debbie

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
You might have trouble getting on the beach at dam neck so i would ask before going there those people at that base are pretty up tight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread