Going towards prescott area in AZ. Anybody try GPAA claims in mining guide there?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going up for a couple days to dig my quota of dirt. So when I'm done there. I'm wanting to try some detecting and highbanking on one of the claims. Has anybody tried some of these claims? Hoping to detect my first nugget. (Crossing fingers). If anybody would like to tag along you'd be welcome to as well. I'll be digging Tuesday or Wednesday. Then be hitting other claim Thursday.

Upvote 0

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crap,I gotta work this week.
My wife and I are probably going up by the New River area witha buddy that lives in Anthem.
Wish we could go.
Maybe next time.
To bad no takers.
Nice offer though.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah well next trip might be 11/6-11/8.
Hoping to be there around 9 am. Then the digging and setup begins. Then maybe between buckets and running highbanker, we'll run over to the C-Gem claim (GPAA) and detect, dig, classify and pan. I'm sure the panning would be better than detecting. This claim is close to the home base of Stanton. Lol

I'll post pics after first 5 gallon bucket.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
a quota is a predetermined amount of something usually agreed on by two persons. In this case he has a goal of a certain amount of dirt that he wants to dig. It isn't an actual measurement unit. Often you'll hear people talk about cops 'quotas'of tickets they have to write etc. Hope this explanation helps.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
When it come to mining a "Quota" is as much material as you can dig during your allotted time on site or that you have room to haul back with ya!

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
36 gallons down and ran 2-1/2 through highbanker. Got 3 little pickers and about 3 little fly poops with them. Others buried in iron. Going to do another 2-1/2 tomorrow to see what I got. I knew expanding my hole was going to work.
So three totes tomorrow (54 gals +/-) then I'll get a couple 5 gals of dirt from other spots. Rumor has it bigger gold up the hill. Lol. Hard to leave a producer.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. I'm back and able to collect what I got into a pan. Here's a must take item. Sniffer bottle. Lol. I left at home. So I had to make a pan of the 2 2-1/2 gallons together. Then panned those cons finally to see what I got total for the 5 gallon test from my hole. So here it is:

Attachments

• image-1907220531.jpg
    image-1907220531.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 231

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool. I wish I could even come up with half of that in my pan around here.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Roadrunner
Your location is pinal mountains right? Does that put you near Florence?
I've heard of stories around there, but hadn't tried yet. I found a couple spots while hunting that I want to test.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good to hear I am not the only one.

Hey TS
SWMontana huh? You come down here at all?
They got placer gold up there as well, I believe. Or possibly glacial.

I'm thankful for my mining clubs claims. When I joined they pointed me to a claim and said try here. So I did. Lol. I've tried some other claims with not as much success. Plus I got a buddy that took me there, prior to joining the club, TerriC. I had the honor of working this area with him and his twin brother. They've been hitting this spot for years.
So when I joined the club and they pointed me to same location, I knew I was in a good spot.
So if you ever travel this way, I'd be happy to pay it forward. His brother Tim is a character and he possibly could be the tour guide.

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I talk to Terri C a off and on also.He told me to join the club and he has a few spots also.
Yes,I am around Florence. Queen Valley, Superior.
Am heading out to the area South of 60,past the tracks at Queen Valley turn off.
Maybe next saturday. Have to finish putting in a water line this saturday.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was in the hills around queen valley a couple weeks ago. I started drooling at some possible spots to detect/prospect. Lol. Uncle was hunting quail and trying to site in rifle. I wanted to do both but weren't able to so I walked some washes. Just didn't bring any gear for this passion. I'm looking to get back there shortly. Seems promising. I'd heard stories about people during the depression getting gold out around there. Helped their families get by.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey TS
SWMontana huh? You come down here at all?
They got placer gold up there as well, I believe. Or possibly glacial.

I'm thankful for my mining clubs claims. When I joined they pointed me to a claim and said try here. So I did. Lol. I've tried some other claims with not as much success. Plus I got a buddy that took me there, prior to joining the club, TerriC. I had the honor of working this area with him and his twin brother. They've been hitting this spot for years.
So when I joined the club and they pointed me to same location, I knew I was in a good spot.
So if you ever travel this way, I'd be happy to pay it forward. His brother Tim is a character and he possibly could be the tour guide.

Very kind of to offer an invitation. Who knows I may take you up on that as the wife and I plan to come down to Arizona this winter. Not sure where or when quite yet though. This would be our first trip to your fine state although the wife has been there before but that was before the " Gold Fever " struck her.

We have found some very fine flour gold and though fun we would like to find something a little chunky. Ha Ha. We have tried some of the GPAA claims here and in Idaho but they are always overcrowded and not much left to find that we couldn't find near home on our own anyway. Thanks again for the offer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No problem. We've got GPAA spots around us as well and I've yet to try any spots. I wanted to last trip but I got their too late and ran out of time.
I've got a couple clients down here from Canada and they want to go out some time as well. It'd be a blast. I'm hoping to actually go through my dirt tomorrow and see what's to come. I might have a hard time going to sleep tonight due to the anticipation. I love running the dirt.
When I was at the site I rushed the dirt through. I found gold in both my 1/8" classifier and in the catch overflow. Not much but it was there. Makes me wonder how much I may have lost. Lol.
It was only a test bucket anyway. So I'll take my time on the rest of this dirt. I finally realized that starting and stopping the highbanker isn't a good idea. It can actually push the gold out of the catches. Won't do that again. Lol

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Myself and Somero went to a hill behind Queen Valley a while ago.
Hill full of quartz. Did some panning in a wash also. No color though. The wash that is.
I took some of the Quartz home, but nothing in it either.

Must be some great shot to hunt qual with a rifle.LOL.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol. I wouldn't put it past him hitting one with his rifle.
They were some jumpy. You needed the rifle to get one.
Yeah found some nice quartz back there. Didn't bring any back though. Found a couple the size of a bowling ball. Would make nice bookends if it didn't have gold in it. Did have some veins of iron through a couple but I was thinking that the old timers probably looked at the same piece I was and said no gold due to coloring of quartz or something like that. I was told to find the red soil or even the red rocks around there. Some time ago my uncle picked up a red rock. It felt heavier than the normal rocks. So he picked it up and bumped into an old timer prospector who smashed it up and wound up getting a fair amount of gold out of it. He said it looked like foil after he was done. He was never able to remember where he found it. This was probably close to 50 years ago. Lol. I keep trying to jog his memory

roadrunner

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The quartz we where looking at was mostly all white, with a little silver looking color to it.
I forget what the white only is called, but it should contain red, iron, ect to contain gold. So I was told.
But what if a piece of gold is in the middle?
I have a rock guide coming from Amazon for Az.

Making a Miller table for my black sands which I have a lot of.
If black sand was worth money, I wouldn't have to find any gold with as much as I have or can get.
It is laying on top of all the washes I go to.
Here are a few pics.

CAM00040.jpg CAM00041.jpg

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My mom's dad during the depression would leave the house walking and be gone for a couple of days looking for gold. He would come back with enough gold to keep the family going for awhile until he needed to go back out again. I finally did get him to draw a map but now I can't find the map and I think the general area he was going to is all private property now. Life kind of has higher priorities when you are younger and raising a family but now that we are retired we can try to live the dreams of our youth. It really doesn't need to be much color to keep us going back to a couple of spots.

If you ever get up to Montana I can show/tell you of the areas we have tried.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread