jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sought after since the beginning of recorded history, gold remains a highly valued metal, reaching record highs recently, climbing over 135% in value in the past year alone. The recent rise in the price of gold comes just as annual worldwide mine production has decreased - down by nearly 8% since 2001. In human history, only 161,000 tons of gold have been mined - more than half of that extracted in just the past 50 years. Collected here are a handful of recent photographs of people searching for, mining, rediscovering, celebrating, buying and selling gold. (37 photos total)

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/01/gold.html

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In photo #5 you see gold leaf ready to go on sushi. About 3 years ago (before I got into buying gold) I was in my local Japanese market. They had this for sale in small vials. It was just on the shelf not behind any counter locked up. If I remember correctly the price was between $5-7

I thought about getting one at the time but figuered it had to be fake at that price. My wife, who can read Japanese, said that the box writing said real gold. I have been there since and could not find it. Next time I will ask.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they sell it cheap at the gold shows & You can also get
it in Goldschlager.

My Understanding it is real Gold,
however Gold can be pounded so thin
it can loose almost all it weight.
in small amounts & still look like alot

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from
wikipedia

Gold is the most malleable and ductile of all metals; a single gram can be beaten into a sheet of 1 square meter, or an ounce into 300 square feet. Gold leaf can be beaten thin enough to become translucent. The transmitted light appears greenish blue, because gold strongly reflects yellow and red.[2] Such semi-transparent sheets also strongly reflect infrared light, making them useful as infrared (radiant heat) shields in visors of heat-resistant suits, and in sun-visors for spacesuits

WildernessAU

Dec 25, 2009
Wow cool pics, I love gold. Those huge gold bricks are just awesome....I want to touch one too. This makes me want to take my little dredge to some third world countries.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WildernessAU said:
Wow cool pics, I love gold. Those huge gold bricks are just awesome....I want to touch one too. This makes me want to take my little dredge to some third world countries.

I wanna pick one up !

(& Run ;D :tongue3:)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread