Gold and Ice from the dirt- 15.3 grams

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, everyone, sorry for not posting pics lately, but with this new comp, its just become a pain in the a@*.

I went out hunting this past Saturday with Dave the 219erman, and we both did pretty well. We both got silver coins, but the finds of the day were these two rings that I found (in the dirt). He will be posting the video from the hunt on his you tube channel later on this week.

After digging memorials at 8" and silver from 8"-10", I thought I would lower my discrimination and start learning some new signals on my machine. I figured I may as well learn what all these other tones and signals mean, right. I mean I spent enough money on the machine just to be looking for old, deep silver coins was just not cutting it.

I dug a lot of trash including beaver tails, can slaw, all types of pull tabs and other junk. But I also found a junk ring that I first thought was white gold with diamonds, some other junk jewelry and lead items. I also found a whole bunch of nickels to boot as well. But if you want to find the gold, I guess you have to dig the junk that comes along with it. One more season of digging junk though, and I think I should have the gold tones and signals down. Thanks to my dad MrSenior and his detecting buddy PTDetector, I got a basic idea of where these rings should be coming in at compared to their Visions' VDI's. I talked a lot to them asking what range gold comes in for them, and went on from there converting numbers to match up on my machine.

Well, it paid off BIG time! My first gold ring is a 10k, 12.4g 1967 class ring with initials on the inside. Too bad it doesn't have a school name or full name on the inside of it. There go my chances of trying to return it. :D

The second gold ring is also a 10k, 2.9g stamped 417 with 4 stones in it. I couldn't help but stopping by a jeweler on my way back home to see if the stones were real. To the jewelers and my surprise, they got the GREEN light. So I am super excited on my finds, and will be diggin more trash from now on. So, to p2c and 007; you can have those deep silver coins and rack up those tallies. I'm starting a tally of my own :laughing7: Now I feel like a true :icon_pirat:

Enjoy the pics and HH! Remember to check up on 219ermans channel to see the video of the hunt. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCN4239.JPG
    DSCN4239.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 818
  • DSCN4240.JPG
    DSCN4240.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCN4244.jpg
    DSCN4244.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 822
  • DSCN4245.jpg
    DSCN4245.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 806
  • DSCN4246.jpg
    DSCN4246.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 811
  • DSCN4247.JPG
    DSCN4247.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 810
  • DSCN4241.JPG
    DSCN4241.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 797
  • DSCN4242.jpg
    DSCN4242.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 803
  • DSCN4243.jpg
    DSCN4243.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 810
  • DSCN4239.JPG
    DSCN4239.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 809
  • DSCN4240.JPG
    DSCN4240.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 811
  • DSCN4244.jpg
    DSCN4244.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 804
  • DSCN4245.jpg
    DSCN4245.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 812
  • DSCN4246.jpg
    DSCN4246.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 801
  • DSCN4247.JPG
    DSCN4247.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 809
  • DSCN4241.JPG
    DSCN4241.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 793
  • DSCN4242.jpg
    DSCN4242.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 791
  • DSCN4243.jpg
    DSCN4243.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 798
Upvote 0

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Good chunks of gold. Those stones are real diamonds? Any guesstimate on the value?

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DMN said:
Good chunks of gold. Those stones are real diamonds? Any guesstimate on the value?

I was in a hurry to get home, and then to work. I know the local jeweler by my house and just asked him to check the stones for me. He said they looked nice, but not sure if they'd be real because being set in 10k (usually throws a red flag). So to both of our surprises, they tested real. I'm going to get an estimated value on it this weekend. But it is a very small ring. as you can see, it weighs just under 3g.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job man, great finds !! :icon_thumleft: :headbang:

Did the jeweler say how many Carats the diamonds are or appraise it at all? ??? I'd guess/say 1/2 carat maybe 1 carat. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Its around $300 per Carat on average it depends on clarity and color and cut but otherwise about $300 per Carat. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME job on the blig buddy!!! Man I got to follow you more oftin so I can find some!!!! :tongue3:

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Did the jeweler say how many Carats the diamonds are or appraise it at all? ??? I'd guess/say 1/2 carat maybe 1 carat. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: Its around $300 per Carat on average it depends on clarity and color and cut but otherwise about $300 per Carat. :icon_thumleft:

My jeweler friend is going to take a closer look at it this weekend, as I was in a hurry to get to work. He's going to measure the stones and check the clarity of them for me. I'll get a retail/replacement value at that time. My wife has a ring with a .28 ct. diamond in it, and these are just a tad smaller..Could be .25 a piece for a total weight of 1ct. I'll find out this weekend.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookn4seated said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

My jeweler friend is going to take a closer look at it this weekend, as I was in a hurry to get to work. He's going to measure the stones and check the clarity of them for me. I'll get a retail/replacement value at that time. My wife has a ring with a .28 ct. diamond in it, and these are just a tad smaller..Could be .25 a piece for a total weight of 1ct. I'll find out this weekend.

Well you can yank those out and scrap the gold and add them to your wife's ring. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
Lookn4Seated

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureFiend said:
Lookn4seated said:
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Well you can yank those out and scrap the gold and add them to your wife's ring. :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

That's what I was thinking. I'll just have to see how they grade. My wife's is a "C",certified, so I'd hate to put a "G" or worse next to it. But we'll see. :thumbsup:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lookn4seated said:
DMN said:

I was in a hurry to get home, and then to work. I know the local jeweler by my house and just asked him to check the stones for me. He said they looked nice, but not sure if they'd be real because being set in 10k (usually throws a red flag). So to both of our surprises, they tested real. I'm going to get an estimated value on it this weekend. But it is a very small ring. as you can see, it weighs just under 3g.

Great finds, both are fantastic rings!!! Just because it is 10 karat gold, doesn't mean the diamonds are fake, I have some jewelry that is 10 karat, and all the diamonds are real. I've also seen diamonds in silver, I once worked in fine jewelry quite a few years ago. Nice going, your wife is a very lucky lady, to get those in her ring!!! HH Red

BURLIVES

Apr 14, 2009
Northeastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
CZ 6a
Nice finds...it might be too late, but if you know the exact spot you found the class ring the crest might be in the hole. Years back I found a 1947 ring, was thrilled when I saw it pop out of the hole, only to be dissapointed to see the crest was gone. I sat there for a second looking at the ring seeing the corroded spot where the crest had been, then it hit me that it pobably corroded in the ground. Went back to the spot and carefully removed the dirt, putting my machine in all metal mode. BAM, after a couple of minutes there was the tiny gold crest. The crest was gold, but the post was copper and corroded over the decades and fell off.Just a thought as I see the corrosion where your crest was.

crazyfish

Jul 20, 2010
Lookn4seated said:
That's what I was thinking. I'll just have to see how they grade. My wife's is a "C",certified, so I'd hate to put a "G" or worse next to it. But we'll see. :thumbsup:

First off, great find!

But just to let you know, Diamond color starts at D for colorless - who certified your wife's stone?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread