Gold and Palladium rings this morning!

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It was a beautiful, rainy morning. I had the whole beach to myself! This is my Excalibur's first rings after going from a 10" to an 8". I really like this smaller coil! Anyways, 7.97 gram 18k gold ring (not sure about the color, not white and not yellow, kinda champagne) and a 9.95 gram Palladium Scott Kay ring. Fun morning!! HH

ForumRunner_20130506_164836.png

ForumRunner_20130506_164858.png

ForumRunner_20130506_164915.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice rings! Do those palladium ones have much resale value?

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did great! Congrats on the nice finds.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Sweet, any day you get a ring is good, two is twice as good.... Congrats on some nice finds.

Cliff

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find !!!!!

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Thank you for all the kind comments everyone and for the Precious metal calculator DrJoePrime. Whats funny is that I called a friend who does lost jewelry recovery to see if anyone reported lost any rings from that beach. I gave a description of the rings and said that the Palladium ring had an inscription of "ScottKay". He told me that it wasn't an inscription but a manufacturer name. After using your calculator and finding that ring online (Gothic Scott Kay Palladium 10mm) I see that the melt value is $206 and it sells for $1370!

This was my first 18K ring. Besides white gold, are there any other varieties?

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Thank you for all the kind comments everyone and for the Precious metal calculator DrJoePrime. Whats funny is that I called a friend who does lost jewelry recovery to see if anyone reported lost any rings from that beach. I gave a description of the rings and said that the Palladium ring had an inscription of "ScottKay". He told me that it wasn't an inscription but a manufacturer name. After using your calculator and finding that ring online (Gothic Scott Kay Palladium 10mm) I see that the melt value is $206 and it sells for $1370!

This was my first 18K ring. Besides white gold, are there any other varieties?

There is yellow, white and rose gold. It is possible that your ring is rose gold which has a slight copper color to the gold, but it is also possible that the white gold is losing some of its white color. In years past, white gold was an alloy of metals mixed together in the molten state. I have a 43 year old white gold wedding band that is still just as white as the day my new wife put it on my finger. However, to cut corners, today sometimes white gold is actually made as yellow gold with an applied rodium finish. Rodium produces a brighter white color than the white gold alloy, but it can be worn off and allow the yellow gold to show through giving the ring a yellow cast to a white gold ring. I have found a white gold wedding band with a yellow cast to it, indicating the finish was partially worn off either by being tumbled in the surf or before it was lost. Look up rose gold on the internet and let us know what you have going with your off color ring. HH, Papa

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Thank you for all that great info Beach Papa. After reading the Wiki on Colored gold ( Colored gold - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) and looking at pictures of Rose Gold, I think it is white gold that has either lost its rhodium plating or never had it (like you mentioned). The wiki says "The term "white" covers a large spectrum of colors that borders or overlaps pale yellow, tinted brown, and even very pale rose".

The more I find, the more I research, and the more I learn.

Mahalo

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Mahalo,
Another possibility that I did not mention yesterday is that the gold ring could be a fake and be marked 18k but be only gold plated over copper. Unfortunately, I was cleaning some of my gold last evening and after I put Tarnex on a bracelet, it turned a rose color is several spots. It is marked 14k, but has turned out to be a fake. It is my second fake 14k marked jewelry. Hope this is not the case for your ring. Papa

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Shucks! I hope that's not the case. I guess it's time for a gold testing kit. Thanks for the info.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt and two great rings...Ive found a couple of white gold rings that have the same color as the one you found.

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
I was wondering if the stamped "Diana" is a brand or the owners name? It doesn't appear to be engraved.

dven55

Greenie
May 10, 2013
Marietta, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Will be an At pro!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
use nitric acid on gold to determine wether a fake or real. Real will not react with the acid...fake will fizzle and bubble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread