MBSulli2003

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2018
Greenville, SC
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was stationed in Germany and a buddy and I went searching the woods a few towns over from our base. We found a set of woods near a small stream and started searching. I found a few old buttons and then started finding some trash from what appeared to be a recent campsite. I hit a really good signal and dig what I initially thought to be a large bottle cap or small jar lid until I wiped away the dirt and saw the date of 1619 on a coin! This was my first silver coin ever. I went to find my friend to show him and bring him back to the site. He was floored and we not 1 minute into searching again I hit another signal in the mid50s range. Out popped another first: a gold coin! I was in shock. We started hitting more signals and before you know it, we pulled 18 gold and 10 silver coins ranging in dates from the 1400s to early 1600s. Only 2 coins were alike; all others were from different denominations. Best we could figure out that this was a spill from the 30 Years War. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523203134.067225.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1523203169.243109.jpg

Upvote 52

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*GASP*.....way to go. Go back and look for the rest! Is it "finders keepers" over there?

OP
OP
M

MBSulli2003

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2018
Greenville, SC
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detecting laws are getting much stricter over there. Some states have a 50/50 split with the land owner, some states it is illegal to detect. Just make sure you do research before you go!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is that’s the best I’ve ever seen. congrats.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll just refrain from commenting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Metal detecting laws are getting much stricter over there. Some states have a 50/50 split with the land owner, some states it is illegal to detect. Just make sure you do research before you go!

I'll be the devils advocate here: What if he were to sleuth around, and find some minutia in his particular spot, that supposedly said "no md'ing". Ok , then what ? Does he go put it back in the ground ?

Or what if he was, as you say, in some sort of a "50/50" spot, does he go scurrying off to the nearest govt. official to hand in his 50% ?

Sounds like he was in the woods, in the middle of nowhere.

can_slaw

Nov 10, 2017
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
ACE 400, ACE 300, TESORO COMPADRE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll be the devils advocate here: What if he were to sleuth around, and find some minutia in his particular spot, that supposedly said "no md'ing". Ok , then what ? Does he go put it back in the ground ?

Or what if he was, as you say, in some sort of a "50/50" spot, does he go scurrying off to the nearest govt. official to hand in his 50% ?

Isn't "he" the OP? I think he was just answering a question someone asked about the current MD'ing laws in Germany, where this amazing hoard was found.
As far as that goes, if the sign says no MD'ing, why would anyone be digging there, and with a metal detector by their side in the first place? I am pretty sure the code of ethics has something in it about being a law abiding citizen. Remember, someone probably owns the woods, even in the middle of nowhere.
Play the Devils advocate if you will, I just hope some newbie doesn't take your advice about not following the local ordinances whatever they are, and wind up posting in the "Treasure hunting legal issues" forum because of it.
I for one will always advocate for following the law, and not becoming the reason the local laws get even stricter than they currently are.
Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
any idea on a value for those? you still have em?
please don't say you melted them down

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time detecting in the US now after the free reign in Germany. So much history buried in the ground there. I’ve been back stateside for 2 years now and hardly found anything noteworthy

If you top that find in the US , You might get your own TV show, & the problems that come with it.

Did your buddy get to keep any ? Or is he still at the Site in Germany ?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was waiting for the 'legality ' ? .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was waiting for the 'legality ' ? .
Yeap, not wise to post on an open forum. Ask the German Tneter's about the Laws, but at the very least he would need an Export Licence to take it out of the EU. So, unless that has happened its illegally in the US, hence why posting it here is asking for trouble, even if I do think its a great find that I will never get.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeap, not wise to post on an open forum. Ask the German Tneter's about the Laws, but at the very least he would need an Export Licence to take it out of the EU. So, unless that has happened its illegally in the US, hence why posting it here is asking for trouble, even if I do think its a great find that I will never get.

HI crusader , considering Britain has taken relics from many countries for hundreds of years during times of invasion and liberation I think your riding a high horse. TP

OP
OP
M

MBSulli2003

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2018
Greenville, SC
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this was years and years ago before they refined the current metal detecting laws in Germany. Since I returned to the states the laws are much stricter. Still would love to go back and hunt as there is so much more history in the dirt over there than in the US

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... following the local ordinances whatever they are,....

In this particular case, I was not referring to FUTURE hunting , yet-to -happen. I was referring to PAST TENSE hunting. Where the O.P. is showing coins he ALREADY found.

And then just musing, if someone ELSE comes on and says "50/50 with the govt", or "md'ing wasn't/isn't allowed there". Then just musing: What does the person/OP do then ? In the case where he's ALREADY dug them (in a past-tense fashion).

Go back and re-bury them ? Go give 50% to a govt. official ?

That's all.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI crusader , considering Britain has taken relics from many countries for hundreds of years during times of invasion and liberation I think your riding a high horse. TP
No high horse, just the facts as always. It's a bit of a warning so he can take it down & not get into trouble.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread