Gold bracelet!!??!! I hope!

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I went to my favorite 100 year old dump site today where I have found old silver coins, junk jewelry, civil war relics and just about everything else you can imagine but never any gold. That is "I hope" until today. I got a nice hit on my AT pro dug down 4-6 inches and pulled out this beautiful bracelet! The bracelet itself was clearly platted since it is the greenish off color of corroded metal but what has me excited is the circle monogrammed piece in the middle. It has that unmistakable gleam of gold from the second I pulled it from the earth. I have a testing kit and will be testing it soon but what do you guys think? Also some other goodies including a headless soldier and some weird tool. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440446937.914286.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440447266.841612.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1440447357.932443.jpg

Upvote 6

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Very cool! Looks like a love token made out of a GOLD coin!!!!!!!!!!

Grats to ya and please keep us posted. Thanks for sharing and HH ALL.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Style of Bracelet , Imo the Bracelet is almost certainly Brass or copper The Love token may be Gold tho, but in the first pic, on the left ,there looks to be some spotting??? .

No matter what still a cool piece.
Davers

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I have to take a deep breath because I'm getting crazy excited. I tested it and sure enough the monogrammed piece is at least 14k gold (don't have the acid to test any higher). So it's only my second gold find ever in three years of detecting. More importantly to me is that you guys think it could be a love token made out of a gold coin!!! If that's the case it's my number one bucket list find! I got into this hobby with the hopes of one day finding a gold coin but never really thought I would. It is pretty small so it would likely have been a one dollar coin (if American) I guess I have to measure it to be sure right? I'm so excited I'm shaking right now.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to say based on your pics. It does look like a love token made from a gold coin, but I'm not sure it is--one would think the heads-side of the coin would be displayed through the bezel on the other side. I hope I'm wrong and the centerpiece is solid gold--coin or not. It may have been plated more heavily so they could engrave it. You would think that if it were solid gold in the center it would clean up quite easily. Can you post a pic of the back? Either way it's a beautiful Victorian piece.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested the middle Erik in NJ it's at least 14k. I don't know of it's a coin for sure but I hope it is! I don't have the piece on me right now I will post pix of the back when I can but it doesn't show much because the closing around the center piece is also brass or copper so that's all you really see on the back.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope it's a coin too for your sake :thumbsup: Does the center look like it's surrounded by a bezel or is it all one piece? What happens if you test a gold plated piece with your 14K acid? Pardon my ignorance, but I don't have a gold test kit as I don't dig much gold. I suppose it could also be a solid gold monogrammed insert in the center. Good luck with it! :occasion14:

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm excited for you, I'm guessing GOLD, let us know what you find out!

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The acid eats right through gold plate and I'm not sure about the bezel thing. One other thing is when I tested it I scraped down pretty good and the gold color got even brighter in the area I scratched.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds promising. Does the center piece clean up well with just soap, water, and a toothbrush? I'm not sure if your pic was after cleaning or a pic in the field after being dug.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!....... What a great find! At first blush I was thinking a gold coin love token as well.... I will keep an eye on your posts, looking forward to good news for you!

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pics are all pre cleaning. I haven't tried to clean it at all yet.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a town dump, or a dump for a farm residence?

(The JK initials on the monogram might prove easier than average to tie back to an owner, assuming it is a private trash pit, rather than a municipal dump).

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just posting to say congrats and waiting for more news on the gold piece. My first thoughts before reading a single posted reply were in line with the others who are thinking gold coin love token.

OP
OP
MackDigger

MackDigger

Mar 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a site in the woods just off a major road that I believe was a town dump a very long time ago (based on my finds there over the years).

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
e0982bdc4021a6f32f4ad89eb3c53920.jpg

An Image from the link AARC provided, shows what is likely an identical piece, with a similar engraving style.

It is described as a gold-filled piece.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a site in the woods just off a major road that I believe was a town dump a very long time ago (based on my finds there over the years).

A town dump would make ID of the owner a bit tougher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread