sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me start by saying that I don’t like to hunt tot lots. There is something about digging in bark or rubber chips that just annoys me, and 99% of the time all I find is clad which isn’t particularly what I am looking for.

So I went out to a 1950’s park that hadn’t been very productive in the past. This hunt was no different and I was getting ready to call it a day. As I was walking back to my car the sprinklers kicked on which forced me to take a detour through a pretty good sized tot lot.

I made some haphazard swings as I walked through it and hit on a solid signal. I kicked at the bark not wanting to bend over when I saw a glimmer of gold. It’s not marked but it tested for 10K and weighs 8 grams.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513727794.187017.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513727807.933592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513727828.852943.jpg

I still don’t like hunting tot lots though.

Upvote 48
Sweet find I once found a 14k charm bracelet with little gold coke bottles on it gotta love the gold!!!!!!

That is a nice find. Congrats. This is probably a stupid question, What are tot lots?

That is a nice find. Congrats. This is probably a stupid question, What are tot lots?

It’s just a playground. Frankly I don’t think I had heard them call “tot lots” until a few years ago on the metal detecting forums.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1513748750.685701.jpg

I know what you mean about tot lots I don't like hunting them ether, but man that's an awesome find congrats...:icon_thumright:

GOLD!
Gotta love it, congrats!

Doing the right zig or zag and bang up comes a keeper. Congrats on the gold bracelet

It does look hand made and very old... Awesome find...

Wow! Nice bracelet. Someone was pushing their kid on a swing and off it slipped.

Sweet find, congrats! I too found my first gold ring under very similar circumstances.

Congratualtions on the gold recovery! :occasion14:

totsnapoleon.jpg

Dudes and Dudettes, Tot lots have given me silver, gold, tons of clad, and even RELICS. I know they represent "low hanging fruit" but many people are very active in the tot lots, increasing the potential of nice items falling into the gravel/sand/bark/rubber pellets and there just waiting for you to find them! Congrats on a super find in that beautiful gold bracelet. Sub 8-)

Thats an awesome wrist piece. Its beautiful and looks hand made one of a kind.
I love the crudeness to the design!
Congrats! I think it was perfect timing on the sprinklers part!

Congrats. Never really hunted tot lots much but many of my favorite finds including my banner find as well as two Spanish cobs came from within feet of a tot lot. I would love to know whats under the tot lot. Lol

i have seen other 10 k gold items with very similar motifs dating from the early 1900's. USA common mans inexpensive promise gift.

Nice dig! I'm not big into tot lots, but I've tried to get my wife into detecting by taking her to tot lots near our home in Sunnyvale, and so far she hasn't found anything aside from a bit of clad, so I haven't been able to get her hooked yet..maybe I just need to plant a nice ring or something - lol

Sprinklers forcing you into the tot lot is some serious Kismet! Congratulations. The MD gods gave you the golden smile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back