Gold Bug Pro scores

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, Well here's the story..

I recently just got myself a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, both great machines!.

took both machines out for a good run this weekend..

The Gold Bug Pro with the 5" DD snagged IMG0771.jpg this little guy 3.1 grains, It was about 5" down suck in a bedrock crack.. Gold bug 2 for some reason missed it completely. I take both detectors with me every time i go out, and check every target with both machines.

Gold bug 2 did hit smaller targets (tiny lead shot etc) at less depth that the pro only gave a stutter on every second swing or so... I did spend quite a bit more time fondling the GB Pro than i did with the GB2. So that could have something to do with the lack of good targets recovered by the GB2, (inexperience on my part) not a particularly complex machine, though the ground balance made me want to chuck it in the creek a few times, twitchy ******* thing.. Maybe its just the Australian soil... lol..

Gold Bug Pro.. I don't have any negative feedback on it so far.. other than it could use a 6.5" elliptical coil.. the ground grab is awesome, and added manual ground balance is again awesome.
sensitivity is right on, even on that tiny stuff you need a gold pan to flush out..

Anyway, just thought i would share my experience with the new machines..

more to come! i hope :)

Upvote 0

kellygang

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
China

China already make clones of the gold bug 2.. and they work.. not well but they work.. and sadly people are duped daily by these crap-tastic knock-offs.
And while they are awesome machines, the technology inside is well aged... My opinion, NEW 71 kHz digital machine.. more coil options... DO IT Fisher!

I found this all very interesting. The guy who reckons China products are all rubbish better have a look at what is on the shelves in all your stores in USA as is the case in Australia and througout the world. Of course you will find the 3 for $2.00 stuff but even that has a market. Most of all the major brands from refridgerators to computers to mobile phomes are all made in China. Why because of cheaper labour and generally cheaper real Estate. It is slowly changing some of the clothes manufacturers here have moved to Cambodia and of course Bangaldesh, Lets get back to what this forum is about.
I have hesitated buying a Minelab detector for years. WHY? Because of price. I cannot see why their 5000 model is $6000 plus. I have been to Chinese factories where they have bought a 5000 from Minelab and copied it. They sell for US$1,100-$1200, their main market is Africa and they sell heaps. I do not have the technical know how to check one of these machines. Yes they are copies and I do not condone it but the reason they copy is because of the ridiculous prices we in the west are charged. Anyone in manufacturing at this current time who does not chase the cheaper labour to produce will not last in business. Thats why the previous gentleman manufacturers in Mexico. If Minelab is not producing some of their components in Asia they must be at least considering it. Many companies have moved their manufacturing to China for obvious reasons and many of those companies are 100% foreign owned not Chinese or joint ventures with as good a quality control practices in as Europe or USA. I do not want to get heavy into Economics or whats right or wrong. What I really want to know is how can western prices be justified and can some one tell me if they have actually bought a Chinese machine namely one of the copies and how's its performance.
Interesting comment about the Drug trade over that way. I was recently in Laos and they tell me 5000 hectacres is still under cultivation with poppies. Crazy world we live in I just want to go back in time and do a bit of prospecting.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The iPad I am typing on is made in China. But I agree with the above poster "Lets get back to what this forum is about."

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..Two of our BH products designed here are manufactured in China by a manufacturer whom we trust, and we've never seen those products show up as clones. One of those products we also manufacture here since that gives us more flexibility to meet sudden changes in demand..

Maybe that is where the rumor started about Chinese manufacture.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this gives me more light on the GBPro , im holding back on my order because my dealer who is $100 cheaper then all others is saying its a 4-6 week wait . Guess the GMT is off the table just because the GBP is so much lighter and newer tech inside .
$ 608 is a great price .

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Will do, I'm loving this machine, and believe me i never buy anything without researching it for at least a few months lol... TrinityAU posts on the GB Pro helped me make up my mind...

One i have my eye on is the White's GMT. but with the GBPro and GB2.. I think i have it covered... plus my wife has given up on the hobby so her Eureka is my Eureka ;)

I have the Sun Ray Pro Gold headphones. Could not pass up the deal. Normally $120.00 and I got them new for $10.00 at an estate sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I ordered a second gold bug pro today, this time from Kellyco, since everywhere else is either sold out or on back order...
Wifey has decided my GB Pro is now her GB Pro... See the one thing she disliked about the Eureka is .. its kinda heavy... and with her 5'2 frame... a strong wind blows her over lol..
So ya another awesome feature of the GB Pro.. Its light!

Mud Slinger

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking in to the gold bugs, but cant really afford the pro is there any major differences in performance between the GOLDBUG PRO and the GOLDBUG? the one for $499? any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
the SE is an awesome machine, the big difference is that it lacks manual ground balance. and very slight sensitivity boost of the Pro.. But well worth the money.. for $499 you can't beat it.

Mud Slinger

Mar 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, From all the things I have read on the internet, I was getting the feeling that they were the exact same machine except for ground balance, Thanks for your input I will be picking one up today.:3barsgold::3barsgold::thumbsup:

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update: Gold Bug Pro Sold. White's GMT on its way, since i have a second Pro on its way i figured i would try something a little different.. comes with the stock coil and a 4x6" for that super fine stuff.

anyway happy hunting all.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey all, Well here's the story..

I recently just got myself a Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Gold Bug 2, both great machines!.

took both machines out for a good run this weekend..

The Gold Bug Pro with the 5" DD snagged this little guy 3.1 grains, It was about 5" down suck in a bedrock crack.. Gold bug 2 for some reason missed it completely. I take both detectors with me every time i go out, and check every target with both machines.

Gold bug 2 did hit smaller targets (tiny lead shot etc) at less depth that the pro only gave a stutter on every second swing or so... I did spend quite a bit more time fondling the GB Pro than i did with the GB2. So that could have something to do with the lack of good targets recovered by the GB2, (inexperience on my part) not a particularly complex machine, though the ground balance made me want to chuck it in the creek a few times, twitchy ******* thing.. Maybe its just the Australian soil... lol..

Gold Bug Pro.. I don't have any negative feedback on it so far.. other than it could use a 6.5" elliptical coil.. the ground grab is awesome, and added manual ground balance is again awesome.
sensitivity is right on, even on that tiny stuff you need a gold pan to flush out..

Anyway, just thought i would share my experience with the new machines..

more to come! i hope :)

Nice find--congratulations on that pretty little gold!

All the best,

Lanny

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thats a nice find were you using headphones?
i picked up the detector pro rattlers for my gbp im hoping to get it out this weekend for the first time:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thats a nice find were you using headphones?
i picked up the detector pro rattlers for my gbp im hoping to get it out this weekend for the first time:icon_thumright:

I was using headphones.. helps a lot..

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was using headphones.. helps a lot..

Now that snake season has us at bay in Arizona I will need to buy some protection. I caught (snake pole) and released a 55 inch Rattlesnake last week up at work.

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Worst i have to worry about is a big brown snake or a death adder. which are bad but ya..

Woops, copy paste issue.

You'll find out when i do!.. bloody thing is being shipped from WA to NSW... give it a week.. bloody Aus Post.

Last edited:

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Gold Bug Pro Sold. White's GMT on its way, since i have a second Pro on its way i figured i would try something a little different.. comes with the stock coil and a 4x6" for that super fine stuff.

anyway happy hunting all.

Will be waiting to hear the feed back on the two side by side in depth and overall hunting finds ... we know the GBP is lighter that made my mind up .

OP
OP
A

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If You're looking for backyard tests.. i can give you that... for the GB pro and GB2

2" 3" 6" 8" 10" holes with a 3.1Gn and 6.4Gn nugget..

Fisher Gold Bug 2 (6" coil) only one i have for the GB 2

3.1 Gn

Depth - Signal

2" Yes (solid)
3" Yes (solid)
4" Yes (soft)
6" Iffy (would not dig) or now maybe i would since i know the sound.
8" Nothing
10" Nothing

6.4Gn

2" Yes (solid)
3" Yes (solid)
4" Yes (solid)
6" Iffy (soft threshold change)
8" Iffy again threshold change every 3-4 swings maybe signal maybe EMI
10" Nothing

Gold Bug Pro

3.1Gn

2" Yes (solid)
3" Yes (solid)
4" Yes (Solid)
6" Yes (soft but you would dig it)
8" Iffy (threshold change)
10" Nothing

(As expected the pr got better depth with its 19kHz frequency.

6.4Gn

2" Yes (solid)
3" Yes (solid)
4" Yes (solid)
6" Yes (soft signal)
8" Yes (very soft signal)
10" iffy (threshold change, or EMI)

Anyway these are just done in my backyard, the results good or bad are mine in my area, i live in eastern NSW Australia. or as i call it Hot Rock Hell..

Anywho.. the Whites will be here next week.. I'll keep yall updated.

Last edited:

blynch35

Sep 6, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold-N-Sand X-Stream Pro, super mini, super prospector bazooka gold trap sluice's, Thompson 12v Drywasher, royal highbanker, and blue bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i got out today for the first time ever and found alot of bottle caps,pull tabs and junk foil i guess thats what is found the most.but i did find a nice bullet that was kind of a score i need a new camera when i get it ill update with a picture.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "old" Fisher was based in Los Banos, CA. They faced financial difficulties, were purchased, and production moved to El Paso, TX. Gold Bug 2s are now produced at the "new" Fisher in El Paso, TX. Fisher is owned by First Texas, who also owns the Teknetics and Bounty Hunter brand names.

Analog detectors display variances in performance based on the quality control systems in place at the time of manufacture. Digital units are generally less subject to these performance variances.
I hear a lot of good things about the Fisher Gold Bug Pro, I understand "First Texas" Owns Fisher. Truth is also owns Bounty Hunter, I had bad luck with Bounty Hunter and the one I had was worked like a toy (Maybe I got a bad one but i wasted my time.) but If I get a extra machine I think I'll pick up a Fisher Gold Bug Pro because of happy owners.(And I do know they are both different machines.) Thanks for the info.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ausgoldhunter: Kudos to you, Super fine Color & Shape, Glad ya picked up a good signal on this size, impresive.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions