Gold Certificates

cookiemonstr87

Jun 18, 2007
California
Has anyone ever came across a gold certificate? There are quiet interesting. I would have never thought about they actually looked like, but now that I think about I never even thought about these before. One certificate is a large bill, and one is a small bill. They are of the $10 denomination. I have tried to find information about these bills, but it's just not making any sence! I believe I read somewhere today that they were worth only their face value. Is that true? But then I read somewhere else that the large bill could be worth a few hundred more. The reason that the large bill would be worth more is because it was before they changed the money to the small bill in the late 1920's. Right? Well, before I make myself look to bad, I am going to leave the rest up to you! If you have anything that you would like to share about Gold Certificates or maybe something we should know please tell us about it. Thanks.
Cookiemonstr

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When president Roosevelt limited the possession of gold in the US this also affected gold certificates. In 1934? I believe the public was supposed to turn in gold certificates in exchange for other bills. Most were turned in and destroyed so the remaining notes are quite collectable.

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Pics would be most helpful, but at least post the Series Date for the notes that you have.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mindoro said:
I will to post a gold certificate, but what is consequence when they find the said GBC is true and laying inside the vault of the a foreign bank. Do i get cash for it? or things will come in troubles ? or somebody is looking for said GBC?

thks.
Mindoro

If it is a Real Gold Certificate it Is Worth Money.

It is also still Legal to spend.

If fake, as long as you Don't try & spend or sell it You can't get in Trouble.

Best course of Action, Get it checked My a Coin Dealer you can Trust.

IF you can post Pictures Here I'm sure we could
at least tell you IF it appears real.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Genuine gold certificates are not legal tender. They were withdrawn by the Federal government. Under the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 they were supposed to be turned in - exchanged for new bills and coins.

Later, it became legal to hold most of them. Just like gold coins are again legal to own - but not legal tender.

It isn't legal to one of these:

"The $100,000 Gold Certificate was used only for official transactions between Federal Banks and was not circulated among the general public. This note cannot be legally held by currency note collectors." [emphasis added]

www.moneyfactory.gov

When I worked in a Chicago grocery store in the mid-1970s, a lady came in and tried to purchase food with a $10 gold certificate. A "yellow back." It was pretty worn. I was the only person in the store who knew what it was. I told her I'd give her $10 for it so she could finish her purchase. The assistant manager had no idea what it was, but since I was interested he said he would buy it (he was quite a jerk!). It wasn't in very good shape - limp as a paper napkin - so I basically said "Whatever" and that was that.

Happy New Year to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions