relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I set out this morning to hike an area of woods to look for mid 1700s homesites. I had with me my equinox 800 using field 1 mode. No luck finding any homesites, and as I was tiring in the heat I set back out, wandering this way in that looking for anything besides square nails and shotgun shells. As shot gun shells seem to come in at 15, I got a 16 and thus figured it would be yet another, and being so hot I considered passing it up. So glad I didn’t. Out popped this lovely colonial wax seal( the second I’ve ever found) ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561860796.373964.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561860821.925095.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1561860835.846070.jpg

Upvote 31

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Crusader here. Seeing as it has a polished stone on the end, I think it's a fob off the end of a pocket watch chain. Nice find! :icon_thumleft:
Most of these types are described as 'Fob Seals'. They were all on a Fob Watch Chains, whether blank or not. Unless they choose not to.

What happened was that they had been worn on the chain for over 100 years & it became a status symbol & those that wanted to show off their growing middle class status used them as jewelry instead of a functional Seal.

Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a Fannnnnntastic find Relicmeister!!! Congrats on recovering a very, very cool piece of history.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find rm!
This looks like rolled gold plate not electroplate. It's a process of laminating a super thin piece of carat gold over a frame
of lesser metal. Imagine you were sending letters to someone and didn't want anyone else to know who sent them.
Unsigned and sealed with a blank stamp! Like a spy or secret lover!
Best wishes!

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find rm!
This looks like rolled gold plate not electroplate. It's a process of laminating a super thin piece of carat gold over a frame
of lesser metal. Imagine you were sending letters to someone and didn't want anyone else to know who sent them.
Unsigned and sealed with a blank stamp! Like a spy or secret lover!
Best wishes!

That’s an interesting thought, and not unrealistic either.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats old and cool looking

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool find, congrats! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread