Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody. I'm hoping somebody can explain this to me. Why isn't there any gold on the Northern side of the Georgia Gold Belt? I understand that water and rivers run from north to south, sure....but why wouldn't water follow the draws down the ridge line on the northern side? I hope that makes sense what I'm saying. When I pull up my minecache, or even the USGS MRDS maps, they are all on the south side of the belt. But either way, rain run-off and creeks come off the northern side too. It's almost like it is suggesting that the gold didn't come from within the mountains, but was at the southern base the whole time. Hopefully somebody will explain. Please forgive my kindergarten coloring lol, just something I thought I would throw together to try to portray what I'm saying. A terrain analysis shows that there is substantial water run off due to draws and valleys on the north side of the ridge, but yet, no claimed deposits?
NORTH SIDE GOLD (3)_LI.jpg

NORTH SIDE GOLD 2_LI.jpg

Attachments

• NORTH SIDE GOLD (2)_LI.jpg
    NORTH SIDE GOLD (2)_LI.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think smaller...........
We have a creek in GA where we can dredge 3-8 grams an hour.
If we move 1/4 mile up the creek we can dredge for 2 hours and maybe find 2 specks. NOTHING.
We tested the WHOLE creek one year dredging LARGE test holes every 50 yards.
3 man crew, 40 hours a week, for almost 2 weeks mapping along the way.
Not a lot changed, things looked about the same, but the gold was gone.
The old saying... "gold is where you find it" works for a reason.
There's a reason why Tony Beets says "drill drill drill"..........
If there's no gold in the rock / earth to be broken down and released into the creek / river...
Then there's no gold.
Also, there's a REASON miners left GA and went to CA.
A lot of the gold in GA is still in the LODE deposit (still in the rock) since we don't have massive
hydraulic force here (big rivers) to break it down.
Doc

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your maps show mines. Mines don't follow water flow they follow the geology that creates mineral deposits. Those mines were dug where the minerals were found which has nothing to do with which way or when the water flowed.

Lode mines (mineral in place within the earth) far outnumber placer mines (mineral debris loose on the surface). Some placer deposits are concentrated by water on a very local level as Doc pointed out. Most gold in Georgia, and elsewhere is still trapped in the rock it was deposited in deep in the ground.

Here's some suggested reading for you. Just click the titles to get a link to download the books for free.

All the books and reports in the Library are individually searchable. Look around there and you will find a lot more about gold deposits, mining and geology in Georgia and elsewhere. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's mines, but there's also surface and placer in there. I can click the little boxes and it pulls up the data, and them I cross check it with my data from minecache. I'm mostly looking at placer/surface areas to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
A state may have lode and placer deposits,but not all areas of the state will have those occurances.Where there are zones of mineralization that are favorable for gold deposits there will be the yellow.Even in the richest mining districts of California
gold is not found everywhere.All quartz veins do not carry gold,even in a well known rich gold district....and then there's the old miner's saying..where it is,I ain't ..and where I ain't it is.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, but I figured that ridge line is where a good quantity of it was eroding and washing out from. That's why I was asking why it wouldn't erode down the north side of the ridge as well where the water runs off

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
Just Curious,have you the read the mining reports for Georgia and your area of interest and also the local histories?These maps only show the mines, that may not mean the other side is barren?Have you sampled all these areas?Also,you mention claims..there is no BLM ground in that part of the U.S. as far as I recall reading about...Persistence is often rewarded.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read just about everything that I could find on the internet. As far as the BLM land, you're correct. There isn't any BLM land on the east coast. I have been using MDRS and USGS. I have also dug through all the available historical topo maps. So I've done all the research that I can aside from going to the filing offices, libraries, talking to locals, etc. But between MDRS, MINDAT, and USGS, they have the records of all mining/prospecting permits purchased for that coordinate, along with their own assays plotted. All giving a wealth of data about was and wasn't found. That's why I thought it was strange that nothing was ever assayed or mined on the north side of the ridge in the valley...i really hope this makes sense what I'm trying to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread