Gold,Diamonds,Pesos,Cerveza,encontró aquí.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Welp I woke up wednesday morning and looked out my patio window and found this.. palace.jpg
at which point I rememberd that I had flown down to the Yucatan about 15 miles south of Cancun and was a guest at the Moon Palace,so I grabbed my Minelab,sandscoop and pouch and ran out the door fast as I could there was a lot of beach to cover and I had to get moving palace1.jpg
so after I went back into the room and put some clothes on I headed out,first thing I noticed was that the beach was as quiet as a mouse,not a beep to be heard though I could tell I was passing over some iron wasnt hitting much else. So I turned my iron mask off and starting running wide open at which point I began to dig nail then wire then nail then little piece of metal then finally I dig up a 2 peso,it looked to be a bi-metal with gold color in center and silver color surrounding. So I sat down and tried notching up the mask to see when I cold hear the coin but not a nail,to my suprise/horror I find that there is no difference between the two and only no mask at all would sound these coins off. In essence every mexican 2,3 and 5 peso coin sunds off just like a rusty nail or piece of wire I spent most of the first day diggin them all and came out with a couple of mems a clad dime and a couple of peso coins. On day two,to my delight,I found that a 10 peso coin as well as 50 centavos make good coin sounds so I had a little better luck. By day three I decided to put the mask back on and only dig the coin and gold sounds and just give up on the iron coins.Well day 3 turned into early day 4 and I was getting a bit tipsy,here I am at the swing bar starting down a dangerous road
palace2.jpg
well day 4 was a total wash because I got puking sloppy drunk in the early hours and didnt make it out of bed till that evening,but I vowed to do better the following days. On day 5 I started to get my stride finding 50 centavos and clad and my first jewlery of the trip a nice sterling earring with one nice big diamond surrounded by several smaller stones,I even started digging a few pesos by digging solid nulls,nulls are difficult to differentiate but after awhile you get a knack for good ones,though I still dug a lot of iron and Im sure I missed some pesos I simply didnt have enough time to dig every single null but I felt pretty good about the number of pesos I dug considering. I also went on my first night hunt for a couple of hours found a few coins and a neat little doo dad that goes on a headress or skirt that you would see someone in India wearing,it rang up gold/aluminum and after I dug I thought it might be gold but after looking at it in the light Im sure its not. Well day six brought me to my last night hunt and still no gold a solid 2 hours I swung the big coil and reached the farthest point I was going,which was only half way down the resort length or about a mile,turning around heading back a solid signal I thought might be my maybe 15th pulltab in 6 days,Im telling you this beach was silent,in the scoop a very heavy gold 3/4 hoop earing with a locking back that was closed,I would guess it weighs 6 grams or better though I still need to get out my glasses and find a hallmark. Not a whole lot of coins but a couple decent jewlery and a really wonderful time. I highly recommend the Moon Palace if you like to be spoiled rotten,all-inclusive,5-star. I would however advise you to hunt the south half of the beach the north half is spit shined :} The biggest problem was the hurricane there last fall wiped out the beach and they have replaced just about all of the sand since then.
palace3.jpg
a closeup of the precious's and a couple of silver bangels

Upvote 0

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to see u had a good time....Nice finds :)

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post, thanks for sharing the vacation and congrats on the silver! HH, Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool finds, and great info. yo creo las playas de mexico tienen mas dinero.

HH
-GC

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. Probably would have been better last year. Remember, hurricane Wilma devastated the many of Cancun's beaches last fall. Most of the sand washed out.

The was a large and expensive beach reclamation project in the Spring. I don't think it went as far south as Moon Palace, though.

Allow another year for drunken tourists to lose their stuff on the beach and the MDing will be more fruitful.

Hope you had fun in Mexico. I always do... ;D

DCMatt

OP
OP
shootist

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
DCMatt said:
Nice finds. Probably would have been better last year. Remember, hurricane Wilma devastated the many of Cancun's beaches last fall. Most of the sand washed out.

The was a large and expensive beach reclamation project in the Spring. I don't think it went as far south as Moon Palace, though.
yes I noted in my post about the beach being wiped out down there and some of the mexicans I talked to told me they replaced most of the beach there at the resort. We didnt go up onto the strand but some people who did told us that most of the resorts were still closed down,I know every Palace north of Moon is closed until Dec. they say.
279785 said:
Great finds, did you have any problems getting your detector down there?

ML
I tore my detector all the way down and carried on most of it,I put the shaft which is metal into
one of the checked bags but carried on 2 lower graphite shafts 2 coils and the box. I didnt have much trouble with taking it on the plane,they looked at it at a couple of airports and in Mexico on the flight out they REALLY looked at it I told them it was a metal detector and they said ok. I read to never check them in because the airline wont insure elecronics at all,in addition I read to leave batteries in them some airports make you turn them on. One more thing I read was with regard to Aruba,I read that you cant carry any electronics on the plane leaving? Has anyone been down there lately? We are talking of going but that could be a factor to me.
goldencoin said:
cool finds, and great info. yo creo las playas de mexico tienen mas dinero.

HH
-GC
sí señor y un jewlery pequeño

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes I noted in my post about the beach being wiped out down there and some of the mexicans I talked to told me they replaced most of the beach there at the resort. We didnt go up onto the strand but some people who did told us that most of the resorts were still closed down,I know every Palace north of Moon is closed until Dec. they say.

Oops! I missed the line about the damaged beaches in your original post. I'll have to read more carefully next time.

I was down there in September. My resort is about half way up the hotel zone - The Royal Sands - next to Kukulcan Plaza mall. It's on the property of the old presidential retreat. The beach there was completely gone after the storm. Nothing but rock right up to the sea wall. After the reclamation it is better than it was before.

I gotta admit, I never considered MDing on my vacation. It's something to think about.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread