Gold Dollar!!! (what it says anyway)

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
That's what it says! Unfortunately, it also says "one latex prophylactic" from (obliterated name) "latex corp, E. Newark, N.J." Oh well...kinda neat in a "hold it with tweezers" kinda way.

I hunted a site where originally, there was a huge resort hotel famous across the country back in the 1800s. It burned in 1907 I believe. There is tons of slag and burnt cinder in the ground. Lots of rusty nails and junk that is hard to hunt through. After the hotel, there was a warehouse type building erected and recently it was a lumber/hardware store in the old part of town. Now the lumber store owner died a few years ago, and they just tore down the building.

Under the actual building, I find NO new stuff. It's all really old. I found some newer stuff in an adjacent lot, but most everything under the actual building site is old. I found a neat old key there....anyone know what it fits? I found an old coin...probably an indian head...looks like it was in a fire and melted with slag in it. Also found several odd shaped pieces of copper with kind of a "K" shape. One of these pieces has mica stuck to it. Some are thick, some are thin. Any ideas?

I also found a cruddy crumpled up piece of brass that I discovered was a name plate from an old vehicle. Cool...in fact, so cool I flattened it, cleaned it up and put it in a frame with a print of an original ad for the vehicle. Now it's something neat to look at, instead of another piece of junk in a box.

Not much found in coinage. A 1913 wheat, and some newer coins from nearby. I found an indian the adjacent lot earlier in the year.

Lots of trash...it's a hard site to hunt because of all the nails, bolts, pipes, cinder, etc... Hope you enjoy the pics, and thanks for lookin' :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0869a.jpg
    IMG_0869a.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0872a.jpg
    IMG_0872a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 843
  • IMG_0871a.jpg
    IMG_0871a.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0870e.jpg
    IMG_0870e.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_0868d.jpg
    IMG_0868d.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_0867c.jpg
    IMG_0867c.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 872
  • IMG_0866c.jpg
    IMG_0866c.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 868
  • IMG_0865b.jpg
    IMG_0865b.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 878
Upvote 0

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Re: Gold Dollar!!!

Some neat stuff there. Can you open the pocket watch case to see the maker's name on the movement inside the case?

OP
OP
cheese

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia

DD-777,

Thanks for the links! Lots of cool info there. I don't know where I would ever look up the #s, but I think it's an engine tag?

time4me,

I popped the back, and the insides are so badly corroded that I can't make out anything. Oh well...

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro

cheese said:
DD-777,

Thanks for the links! Lots of cool info there. I don't know where I would ever look up the #s, but I think it's an engine tag?

time4me,

I popped the back, and the insides are so badly corroded that I can't make out anything. Oh well...

Could be the engine tag - I think that would have been mounted on the firewall. In one of those links I think I read (scanned through pretty quickly) that Packard made some motors for Overland at one time. See if you could find the rest of the car... :D

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

Very impressive.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 720
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 718

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really nice post cheese. Congrats.....Hogge

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

sweet finds ! got to be more there :thumbsup:

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar

Holy Moly, man! You have all the good luck. I hope that site will hold a few goodies until I can get down there this winter. Yep, planning a trip down sometime in December. very nice digs, dude

Scott

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great job on the frame and presentation. Much, much better just lying in some box tucked away in some corner.
CurbdiggerCarl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions