Gold Filled equals what Karat? CyberDan?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently, I was picking the brain of a fellow that deals with PMetal scales. I was asking him if he could design a caculator program/button for "Gold Filled", as in 1/20, 14kt, Gold Filled jewelry.

While considering the addition of a single button to compute the amount and worth of a piece of gold filled jewelry based on its weight and "honest" karat markings, he said just to consider the following:

1/20 12K ===> .5K
1/20 14K ===> .7K
1/10 10K ===> 1K

If a person uses the amounts he listed, I'm wondering if the data he supplied matches what a person has received from a refinery?

Any input CyberDan?

Regards,

Bill

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't found anyone yet who would take gold filled. Maybe after the election when the economy gets worse.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
1/20 12k should be equivalent to 0.6K, but the others look right.

I think the formula would be:

Total gold = (Marked karat / 24) * (Marked fraction) * weight

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As Diggum said above, there is already a well known GF calculator available online. Easiest way to buy GF is to treat it the same as sterling.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GNS-Sam

Oct 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks mate. Happy to be here.

Though i'm afraid i have very little to offer in the way of treasure hunting, if anyone has any questions about recovery & refining of gold, silver and PGM's i'de be happy to help if i can.

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks mate. Happy to be here.

Though i'm afraid i have very little to offer in the way of treasure hunting, if anyone has any questions about recovery & refining of gold, silver and PGM's i'de be happy to help if i can.

Do you have any idea what "10K CTR" would mean? Found it stamped into the bridge of some old glasses

Attachments

• shuron 10k ctr bridge.JPG
    shuron 10k ctr bridge.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 301

GNS-Sam

Oct 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any idea what "10K CTR" would mean? Found it stamped into the bridge of some old glasses

I'm not familiar with this marking (CTR).

The best way to tell for sure is with an acid jewellry test kit. Though it only make sense that if the arms are GF, then the center piece would be too.
If you have such kit, or access to nitric acid, i could guide you to the process of testing. But it may not be necessary.

First thing first, try to file the metal about half way in and look with a loupe if there are different layers and if so, how thick they are.
This should provide you a pretty good idea if what you are looking at i.e. plated, GF or solid.
If you can't see any color differences through the cut, it may not necessarily indicate that this is solid gold piece, it maybe plating/GF over yellow brass. (that's where the acid comes in handy)

GNS-Sam

Oct 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it basically means carat

Hi bluehunter

I doubt that it Sir.
As Carat is a weight measurement mostly used in the diamonds and gems industry.
And Karat is a purity scale, exclusively used for gold jewellry grading.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread