Gold fillings

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
A yr ago I cleaned out my folks house and found a vial with gold fillings in it. The fillings weigh 1.4 Troy ozs., BUT, some of the fillings have pieces of teeth, etc in them. I'd like to sell them. Do I slightly hammer the fillings to remove the non-gold stuff before selling or send the fillings in and take their word on the final weight? I read about fillings and the article said the minimum karat of dental fillings should be 10k. Any ideas?

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Since dental gold is alloyed with platinum group of metals it resists acid tests and
requires specialized refining. So good luck in getting a 16k price.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I would soak the stuff containing Tooth bits in Muriatic acid.

Being Enamel and Calcium all that stuff should go buy, buy!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose-0 said:
Thanks for the info homefires.....I just happen to have some Muriatic acid.
I have bought several gold crowns at yard sales. First I test electronically and then if any tooth bit or glue remains I tell the seller I have to destroy the crown. I take a needle nosed pliers and a small pair of dikes (and put on my glasses) I grab the crown with both tools and twist, tooth and glue go flying. I then weigh and pay. Crowns have always tested high karat.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
cyberdan said:
Goose-0 said:
Thanks for the info homefires.....I just happen to have some Muriatic acid.
I have bought several gold crowns at yard sales. First I test electronically and then if any tooth bit or glue remains I tell the seller I have to destroy the crown. I take a needle nosed pliers and a small pair of dikes (and put on my glasses) I grab the crown with both tools and twist, tooth and glue go flying. I then weigh and pay. Crowns have always tested high karat.

I know you, Cyberdan, are the King of scoring silver and gold and yard sales, but it is unimaginable to me that people actually sell their gold teeth at a yard sale. :dontknow:

I would think that you first ask about gold and silver before the gold fillings are brought out? Would be funny though to go to a yard sale and see gold teeth sitting on a table with a price tag on it, like some old clothes or a toy.

I have completely given up CRHing, so maybe when the weather warms up next year I will hit a yard sale or two, since I don't waste any more time searching skunk boxes then dumping them.

Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jim4silver said:
I know you, Cyberdan, are the King of scoring silver and gold and yard sales, but it is unimaginable to me that people actually sell their gold teeth at a yard sale.
I think 95% of the good things I buy are never out on display when I drive up.

Jim, repeat after me. :wink: "Do you have any jewelry or old coins?"

(Don't reverse the order or they think you want old jewelry. Old jewelry is nice but there is gold in newer jewelry too.)

That is what I say at every single stop. Most of the time I hear back and in this order:

:( No, that was the first to go this morning
>:( No, your the 3rd person today to ask
:'( No, I wish I did
:tongue3: No, I sold it at a gold party
:icon_thumleft: (and even sometimes) No, I sold it to you last year

Hit enough sales and ask enough times and someone will say I got uncle Joe's teeth when he died ;D Usually they are just the crowns probably extracted by the mortician, but once it was 3 entire teeth all blackened on the root part just the way they were when they fell out of grandma's head. :icon_pirat: (I didn't buy those the two sisters wanted way too much $$)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread