gold flakes in my well water?

stylin99

Dec 7, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I need some help identifying real gold flakes vs fools gold or mica. I did a crash course on gold today and here's why.

I had to clean my water filter on my new house due to tons of sediment stopping it up. It's a new well on a newly cleared plot of land. This is the second time I've changed the filter under the house. It was full of sediment and within that, I found small gold flakes. Actually I first noticed it cleaning out my toilet tank as the sediment had collected there over months time. I've dried it out and keep staring at it. It doesn't float in water, it sinks.

Any help identifying what in the world I have? Am I a fool? Can gold flakes be pushed up from an aquifer underground? We do have a lot of rock and quartz out this way... ???

Upvote 0

Ditchg

Greenie
Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you read these acid tests? I placed the small flakes in the acid and nothing happened. Flakes just got brighter looking. Now when I used the 22k test the liquid did get a yellow orange color. But remained clear with 14k. I then smeared one of the flakes( under pressure between the stone and metal object they smear almost like wax with hard pressure). Nothing happened to it. I did try placing some mica flakes in the acid. The large pieces seamed to loose there color just became clear. And I scraped them. Seamed to break down after a bit. But nothing dramatic I was hoping anything non gold would just disappear. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ditchg

Greenie
Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you read these acid tests? I placed the small flakes in the acid and nothing happened. Flakes just got brighter looking. Now when I used the 22k test the liquid did get a yellow orange color. But remained clear with 14k. I then smeared one of the flakes( under pressure between the stone and metal object they smear almost like wax with hard pressure). Nothing happened to it. I did try placing some mica flakes in the acid. The large pieces seamed to loose there color just became clear. And I scraped them. Seamed to break down after a bit. But nothing dramatic I was hoping anything non gold would just disappear. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
also I cleaned stone with 22k acid several times. Read them not bing cleaned first messes with test.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it turns out to be Au, check your title report. There is a possibility that you may not own the mineral rights. Or maybe just the surface rights. Not uncommon.

Ditchg

Greenie
Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember specifically at closing our lawyer verifying that all mineral rights went with the property at closing. Were on about 18acr.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures sure look to be gold. And if acid is only making the stuff look shinier---well, could be. Your tank is kind of acting like a blue bowl, flushing everything but the heavies. G/L

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ought to take off your shower heads and shake them out too

Ditchg

Greenie
Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes we wonder (if it is gold) how much I've been flushing also! Talk about crapping gold hahahahaha!
Taking to a jeweler today. We will see. Called a geologist and he said to go to a jeweler. My concern is that I read that gold from mining is in lots of different forms. Can be stratified and crystalized. Won't look same as gold found in jewelry under a microscope. wasn't melted and formed into a mold. Formed naturally. What's you guys thoughts on this? Also what do I do next if they say It is gold? Who do I contact to find out how much and sell this place for what its worth?

Ditchg

Greenie
Jun 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took it to jeweler said quarts sample was not gold. Flake dissolved in acid. Now the small flakes from toilet she tried to melt. They did melt but after cooling it crumpled under pressure so she said not gold. Any thoughts? Melting suggests to me it was a metal and crumbling says it had alot if impurities. Sand dirt etc. I would imagine that being mixed with such a small sample could make it brittle. Any thoughts? Should I collect more and get a second opinion? Any one near peachtree city ga who would want to take a look at it all?

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Ditch , that's discouraging for you. Are you near a university or even a Jr College ? Maybe their chem. dept would do a qualitative analysis for you. The fact that the stuff melted, I think ,would indicate a metal as you said.G/L Keep us posted.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Ditch, I sure do get a woody looking at that quartz rock! That's the stuff you find gold in, dirty, iron stained, hopefully bug hole quartz.

Dig up your yard and get more pieces! And post pics. Any history of gold right in your area?

PROSPER

Jun 24, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help identifying real gold flakes vs fools gold or mica. I did a crash course on gold today and here's why.

I had to clean my water filter on my new house due to tons of sediment stopping it up. It's a new well on a newly cleared plot of land. This is the second time I've changed the filter under the house. It was full of sediment and within that, I found small gold flakes. Actually I first noticed it cleaning out my toilet tank as the sediment had collected there over months time. I've dried it out and keep staring at it. It doesn't float in water, it sinks.

Any help identifying what in the world I have? Am I a fool? Can gold flakes be pushed up from an aquifer underground? We do have a lot of rock and quartz out this way... ???

I had exactly the same issue...was so confused back then till now i face the same issue in my water filter, what i did is...i just took a sample of it for a test i was supprized from the results
Au=0.12, Cu=10.82, Ag=5.77, Fe=3790.06, ppm. Little gold but it was something. ...a sample was about 150grams.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was at Manitou Springs, they had little gold colored chunks in the water there. But those weren't the days I was into prospecting. Would love to go back to the wet caves for a few pans upstream of the water intake.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No gold in Manitou Springs if you mean the town in CO. Only mica.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread