gold for silver

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep - since 1974 been working arbitrage on the ratio. With these ratios it's a good bet to swap even with the loss from the dealers margin.
It will eventually go to 16:1 - when is anyone's guess. ???

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
M

Medina Joe

Jul 4, 2014
Medina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the dealer's are a pain in the ass to work with some times. I have a good one now. we trade with no paper work and I love it.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you guys explain a little more what you are talking about? The concept and procedure. I'm just not familiar.

Thanks,
Mike

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An ounce of gold is about $1160 right now.
An ounce of silver is about $15.50 right now.

That's a price ratio of 75:1 gold to silver.

The historical average price ratio of gold to silver is 16:1. The gold/silver price ratio always returns to that 16:1

An ounce of silver at the natural price ratio would be worth $72.50 when gold is at $1160. In other words silver is way under priced right now.

Swapping an ounce of gold for 75 ounces of silver at today's ratio would net you a 467% profit when the market returns to the normal 16:1 ratio. The only concern is how much the metals dealer takes as his cut for the exchange and when the natural price ratio will return. Both the cost of exchange and the time value of money cut into that 467%.

In the metals market, arbitrage is the practice of taking advantage of an unnatural price difference between two or more metals. 75:1 is a huge price difference. :laughing7:

I hope that helps explain delnorter?

Heavy Pans

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good answer

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, thank you. Concise and to the point. I truly learned something interesting and of value.

Mike

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ClayD Thanks for splainin it to us simple folk. What are the forces that cause silver to be so low now?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To learn more about the pressures on the price of silver go see silverinstitute.org You will find content like:
"Silver mine production grew by 3.4 percent to reach 819 Moz (Ed. In 2013). A large portion of the growth is attributable to the primary silver mining sector, which experienced strong growth from the start, along with the ramp-up of operations that entered production in recent years. Primary silver mine production grew 6 percent, and accounted for 29 percent of global silver mine supply. Mexico was the world’s leading silver producer, followed by Peru, China, Australia and Russia. Primary silver mine cash costs stood at US$9.27 an ounce, increasing 1 percent in dollar terms. "

...with production increasing it will be hard to see pricing run up quickly. On the other hand, that same site shows above ground stocks of silver dropped over 20% from 2012 to 2013 so commercial usage is outstripping production...which would push prices up at some point you'd think.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Silver Institute shows a year by year deficit in silver since 2004 (the earliest year they show figures for). Silver production has not met demand since 1958. Manufacturers used 122 million ounces of silver for solar panels in the last year alone. Most of the silver used will never be recovered unlike gold. The US sold off their 1.9 billion ounce silver strategic metal reserve to help keep the price down. There is no more silver in the US Strategic Reserve stockpiles.

There is a continuous stream of revelations about long term commodities metal market rigging in the last year. Lawsuits and fines are rampant these days as "the fix" is being abandoned by the big players starting with the Rothschild's.

Does this mean the market price of silver will be going up? The fundamentals are all in place and have been since 1964. Silver hit $50 an ounce in 1980 before the government shut down the market. Anything is possible now. When is the big question. I'll leave that answer to each person in the market. I'm not a prophet and history will show that those who pretend to know usually end up on the wrong side of the trade.

I'll leave this subject alone for now. Anything further would amount to politics and opinion and I try to avoid both of those on public forums. 8-)

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread