Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the ATPro for a little swim this morning. I found 10 US coins worth $.52 and a Sri Lanka 5 rupee coin (worth about 3 cents) fishing sinkers, junky jewelry and a nice 10k earring.

E29F2457-468C-4FD9-9C6E-BD00F9D2D61B.jpeg A4074193-277D-4D40-86E7-309BB85D4FA7.jpeg

After 3 hours of wading I got dressed and went to check out a new permission with my CZ 21. Two houses with a large vacant in between all owned by the same family. The first house was built in the 1860’s. Unfortunately it has been added on several times with outbuildings added. Some places you still have nice dark soil on the top that goes down 12 to 14 inches. Other places there is a deep layer of clay with a little top soil mixed in here and there. The result of the construction. There may be goodies, but it wont be easy.

I did a wander around to check the places out and I will go back later and grid the area like usual. I found 27 coins worth $1.15 including 4 wheat pennies (1942s, 44, 44, and 49) and a 1951 silver dime. A Dill valve stem cap patented on July 13, 1915, an electrical pole ID tag, the top of an old key, an older style set screw and a gold gilt flat button with the shank missing (no backmark). This button is really thick. I thought it was a large cent at first because it was that thick.

AC0AA217-887B-4C68-B587-61A0590AEB22.jpeg

These are a mystery item. They are pieces of copper rod hammered into a tree root along the edge of the sidewalk by the street. As you can see 2 of them are still in the wood. They were placed about 12-14” apart. I have no idea why they were put there. If anybody can explain this please do so.

64E7E9FA-4BB2-48F9-BBC9-F6207A8DC2A8.jpeg

A good day of swingin with some interesting finds. A good start on a new permission. Next week i will start the state park cleanup for the season. (Maryland restricts access to detectorists between Memmorial Day and Labor Day.)

Thanks for looking and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 12

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds. The copper rods...They may have been an attempt to kill that root to prevent future damage to the sidewalk. Just a guess.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice mixed hunt of keepers, congratulations! :occasion14:

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff, tnt...im not sure about the copper rods pounded into the roots...may have been what Kray said, or possibly just...copper rods pounded into a tree root! Kids do strange stuff, probably something I would have done on a hot, boring, summer day lol..Ddf.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told as a kid that driving a copper nail into a tree will eventually kill it. Don't know if that's an old wive's tale or not. Never actually tried it.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Way ta go. Nice detecting.:icon_thumright:

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper rods were there to kill the tree root, and the tree (eventually). Usually they would be pinned at four corners.

Copper in any form is good to find.

Was the tree still alive?

Great finds, BTW!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. Killing the tree sound like it might be the reason for the copper rods. The tree is long gone and the roots are rotting away nicely. My trowel took a nice chunk out of an intact section with no trouble and some of the wood was clinging to the rods, but otherwise going away nicely.

I am heading to the state parks tomorrow to begin the fall clean up. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

Thanks again and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread