Gold Half Eagles Scellacked? What do I do?

junkdaze65

Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend's family is from Far Rockaway, Queens and they are trying to raise money. I agreed to help them and they gave me a bunch of coins to sell. I was expecting the usual slew of wheat's and buffalo's but they actually had 2 nice Morgan's (one with near-full breast feathers), three Kennedy halves from 64 and four gold half eagles; 1882, 1882, 1881 and one Indian head from 1909, no mint marks. Problem is, I believe that years ago, the four half eagles were shellacked or covered with some other substance that, for better or worse, really kept them in good condition. I don't believe that this is practiced anymore, so I'm wondering about the affect on value and whether or not I should try removing the shellac before selling, or to just sell as-is. I've read that acetone is sometimes used? Any info would be helpful. This is my first time here, so if the photos below don't appear, I'd still like the advice! Thanks. Dan

P1160967.JPG
P1160970.JPG

echodog

Oct 29, 2012
Denatured alcohol is used in wood working apply and cut it. It should take care of it.

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah...unlike other metals....most chemicals will have no effect on gold....I would let it sit in acetone and then dry.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread