Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Heya; Welcome to the forums.
Tell us a little bit about yourself and how you plan to prospect.

I dont know anything about the Denver area but google searching is a great place to start.

Good luck and happy hunting. :)

OP
OP
T

tolan

Sep 5, 2012
Well I bought the Garett gold pans and a seive, I also plan on buying a A52 Keene sluice from what I got from books you can pan any part of the river and the side of the mountain but I think if I dug random holes all over I wouldn't get much gold, so exactly how deep of a hole do you need to dig before you hit bed rock.

Last edited:

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a number of Gold prospecting clubs in Denver (some are GPAA based - you don't need to be a GPAA member to attend those meetings).

I suggest that you join up with a club, or at least attend a few meetings. You'll learn a lot of things from the people in the clubs and you'll find out where you can prospect.

http://www.lornet.com/prospector/index.html - Gold prospectors of the Rockies

http://www.goldprospectors.org/Membership/Chapters/tabid/110/Default.aspx - GPAA Chapters (then select the State you are interested in)

http://goldendetectors.com/ - in Golden Colorado - they know the area well too

The GPAA is running a Gold and Treasure show Sep / 22-23 / 2012 at the Western National Complex in Denver - you might want to attend.

I use a Gold Cube - there is an exceptional amount of fine gold in Colorado, and my Gold Cube hangs on to it (but it needs to be set up right and you have to pre screen to 8 mesh). If you want to keep more gold, you may want a different sluice than you are considering. Talk to other Colorado prospectors to find out what is working for them. Every gold area is slightly different, and you will want to target your gear for where you plan to work.

I also metal detect for gold in Colorado.

NOTE: Don't assume you can dig/pan anyplace you want. Some places are highly restrictive, and others (that are active claims) would make your efforts illegal (agressively protected by the claim owners). There are many places that are open to the public (for example: A lot of Clear Creek is actively worked by prospectors).

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go up to the Gold-n-Detectors store in Golden or to The Rock Doc in Nathrup and ask their advice about sluices. The A52 is a fine sluice but they might recommend something different like an Angus Mackirk for your situation.

To find places, attend a club meeting, read old posts on these forums, do google searches, ask at the store...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread