Gold Hog Highbanker Raptor Review

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I just wanted to share my thoughts and review of the Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, I ordered it from Doc about 4 weeks ago, I have had it out running on my claim about 5-6 times so far..

The mats are GREAT, But you need a good fast pump flow of water for them to work great, ( I learned that the hard way )

I am running a 16,000 GPH pump about on idle and it seams to be perfect, as the other pump I have (3200 GPH) seam to be lacking in the water flow..

The Raptor is about 80 inches long, So I had Yuba Mining Supply make me two more sluice blank plates to make it a total of about 14 feet sluice bed. I did this for two reasons,

1. I ordered two mats with the Raptor that Doc pre configured for me so I wanted to make use of both of them. One for finer gold and one the chunky gold... so with nearly 14 feet of Hog mats, I am running the fine gold hog mat at the last 7 feet extension section...

2. The logic of people thinking you can get away with a 48 inch sluice or highbanker is not a sure thing.... Of course if you have your pitch setup right then you should recovery well, however with hog mats and any other mats, the shorter your sluice is the slower you can feed your machine, I learned this from Doc all about incremental processing and feed rates, so it can't hurt and can only help.

3. Bigger is better in this case and we men like big toys! :)

As far as results from the second 7 foot extension, I am catching very fine gold and some old shaped flakes in the first 2-3 feet of the second 7 foot extension. So for me it has been well worth it...

So running about 5-6 days on my claim with this beast I have recovered about 16 Grams thus far, Pics below is about 10 grams ( my cut ) the rest was split up with some helpers...

I am also no longer working cracks at this time, I found some flat good ground way down stream on my claim and it is still producing decent... I would like to guess how much material we have moved to get the 16 grams but honestly I lost track.. 5-8 yards of dirt would be my ball park figure...

Had one nice cleanup of 4.94 grams from just about 30 buckets, but I must of hit a pocket or something because I am not having that good of cleanups each day...

Anyhow just wanted to show these pics and decided to show this video even though I made it for Doc to check out to see what he thinks for the water flow as I am still making minor final tweaks...

I highly recommend Gold Hog products, The mats are by FAR better then any other matting on the market, well worth the extra bucks! Once you use hog mats you won't go back to any other matting!

20141228_223859.jpg
20141228_224209.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome. There is nothing wrong with extra box length as long as it doesn't hinder portability. We will be limited to eight feet on our claim. I would run longer I just don't want to carry those boxes in and out each time. What brand pump did you end up with?

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
LOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG TOM. I can't imagine how much 14 ft of hog matting would cost.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice gold pictures and a good video of your setup. Looks like you have your sluice dialed in. One thing that looks odd to me is the water feed in the hopper: Isn't it a bit awkward ( in the way when you shovel)?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its about 35 bucks every 18 inches in a 12 inch wide box....ten inch boxes the same with some wasted ends......Honestly its well worth the price!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking good!

OP
OP
jvan

jvan

Sep 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Raptor Highbanker, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Fisher F70, Bazooka 36" Sniper, Gold Cube, Gold Vac Pac, Pans & Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jarrod, Thanks, yeah I have all my gear hidden on my claim, cause the claim is almost in my backyard... The pumps I have are cheap ones the smaller backup one is a stark 3hp 3200gph trash pump, then the new one that I am running now is also a stark but it is about 4-5 times the size of the other one... 16,000 gph, and currently running it on idle with a cut off valve so I am guessing Im running about 4500 GPH... Have 3 inch intake hose and 2 inch output hose... So far it is working perfectly... Jarrod you will have to make a trip out one of these days, as I found decent easy ground to dig and all my gear is there...

That is awesome. There is nothing wrong with extra box length as long as it doesn't hinder portability. We will be limited to eight feet on our claim. I would run longer I just don't want to carry those boxes in and out each time. What brand pump did you end up with?

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very correct jvan about the longer sluice. I remember when I had my Keene highbanker, after a while I noticed gold on the ground in from of the sluice. So I attached my 5 foot hand sluice to it. I was getting gold half way down the extension. Problem solved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread