GOLD Hunt Central Virginia March 28th

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Gold hunt in a river in Central Virginia (Louisa). Normal amount pulled out daily is flakes to marble size nuggets. Tredging machines would help. I recommend wearing waterproof boots as the some of the water has iron base in it. There is a natural spring down river.

March 28th Meet at 9am Leave at 9:30am Arrive at 10am, return around 5:00 pm.

Box lunches with drinks will be provided, also 2 rolls of toilet paper just in case, being as you will be about 3 miles from any bathroom.

Meeting Place: Pantops Shopping Center halfway between Subway and Hallmark (there is little to no vehicles there). To those coming I will provide directions and my cell phone number in a PM in case you are running late or get lost.

This river also produces various gemstones as well, so if you have no interest for gold, there is a half dozen gemstones worth some money. The river and bank is 100% county public property, however the woods is private property. Most places there is a fence anyways. But we will be parking on county public property in one of two parking areas at a bridge.

Added Bonus: There is two Large mine sites on location, they are long forgotten and not blocked off, you are allowed to check it out, it's in the middle of the woods very close to where we park. The original cables and all still exist, I detected like 3 signals and got a large raw chunk of Iron Ore and some mining tools. The mine entrance has fallen mostly, so you won't be able to get inside, but you can go into the pit of it. Bring your cameras it's worth a photo.

Rain/Bad Weather: If the weather is going to be bad, or too cold to go, I will notify everyone within 5 days of the event.

What to bring: Bring yourself, a detector, some friends or family, gold panning supplies if you have some.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Re: GOLD Hunt Central Virginia March 21st

Thanks for the invite, I really wish I could attend, but I'm attending DIV that weekend. If you find someone that wants to buy a used-once 3" dredge/highbanker combo short of the floats and float frame let me know, I'd trade it for a M-4 or nice AR-15 or sell it outright for $1k. I wish you all the best of luck, as I know how much fun prospecting is!!

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Oh man I didn't know DIV Was that weekend. Hmm.... perhaps I should pick another date? Lets see what others think.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

relichunters said:
Oh man I didn't know DIV Was that weekend. Hmm.... perhaps I should pick another date? Lets see what others think.

I will be at DIV as well. Are there any fees for the hunt? For the lunch??Other?

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

No fees lunch would be free. I am paying for it. Ok I am changing the date.

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Just curious about the spring in the creek, are you sure thats what it is? Those old timers had rough methods, couldve been an old mine they diverted the creek for :)

I probably will be able to make it on the 28th, I don't think I'll bring the dredge though, as it's a lot to haul around. I'll probably just bring my backpack sluice and de ol' pan and shovel! Don't forget to be SUPER cautious around old mining sites, as some holes get covered up easy!!

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Well I assumed it was a spring, attached is some pictures of it. It's not near the mines.
EDIT: Also it's like clay or wood texture to it.

Attachments

• weird hole.jpg
    weird hole.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 400
  • weird hole2.jpg
    weird hole2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 385
  • weird hole3.jpg
    weird hole3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 606
  • weird hole.jpg
    weird hole.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 345
  • weird hole2.jpg
    weird hole2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 351
  • weird hole3.jpg
    weird hole3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 370

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Wow, that IS a weird hole. . .all of the springs I have ever seen in creeks usually have some small bit of fresh material around them. With what else you said about clay/wood, it almost makes it seem like it might be an old hollow log that got buried in a big flood, although I'd think that it would have filled up over time.

The last thought, albeit a nasty one, is that it's a pipe coming from somewhere. Or for that matter an old pipe running out of one of the mine areas? Who knows?

I'm spitballing pretty big here, but it is a WEIRD hole!!

Hope to see you next month!!

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Yeah it is very odd. It's too small of a hole to get inside for a miner to make a hole to the mines?

My thought was it might have been an american indian fire pit where they took clay and made things.
I had a full size shovel with me when I was there, and stuck it down there and it went far. Do you have an underwater flashlight? like a bright one? with that we could see down it. Maybe there is treasure in it!

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
I don't have a scuba light or anything unfortunately.

Be nice to have a reeeeally narrow dredge nozzle, i bet theres some gooooood gold in that hole! be the best place of any to look for it =-D

OP
OP
relichunters

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Heh who knows what you would find. Just think of this, being in the river, things wash into it.

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would be intrested in going and I could bring my crew that would make 3 of us

RuffandTuff

Nov 24, 2005
What is the latest? Rain is projected for Saturday (28 March). I am interested as well as up to 4 other people. What is possibility of another date? Thanks, RuffandTuff

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Did this ever happen or was it postponed?

Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread